a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bank Accounts In The Legion.

Calvink

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Good day.

I have been part of this forum for a while now, but this will be my first post.

First of all, I would like to thank all the current contributors, you have helped me with a LOT of my question, and believe you are doing the Legion a major service by sifting through all the glory boys who think they want the Legion life, but by putting it plain and simple I'm sure you have driven many of them away.

I have one question that I could not seem to find on the forum:
Does the Legion still pay in cash or have they moved over to bank accounts? And if so how easy is it to transfer the money overseas or back home? Is it possible to do this via the Legion, or do you have to do this while on leave?

Once again thank you all for the information, it has been invaluable.

Regards
C

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
As far I know, your money will be placed in a bank account and then you can do with it whatever you want.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Your solde was paid in cash till about 89. I believe then we all went out and opened a bank account down the post office at least I did.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Your solde was paid in cash till about 89. I believe then we all went out and opened a bank account down the post office at least I did.

To begin with all the new legionnaires from 89/90 had to fill in the forms to open a post office account. That was stopped later and it changed to some national bank. I know that the REP had an office of the bank(can't remember which bank) in the camp. They also had their own dry cleaning/pressing service, paid of course. Ah how it's good to advance with the times !

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
To begin with all the new legionnaires from 89/90 had to fill in the forms to open a post office account. That was stopped later and it changed to some national bank. I know that the REP had an office of the bank(can't remember which bank) in the camp. They also had their own dry cleaning/pressing service, paid of course. Ah how it's good to advance with the times !
Made a few bob doing the ironing for some seniors when I was a young shaver, being a ex Guardsman had its benefits. Especially if the lads wanted to go out on the piss before Garde 24.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Made a few bob doing the ironing for some seniors when I was a young shaver, being a ex Guardsman had its benefits. Especially if the lads wanted to go out on the piss before Garde 24.

aye. back in the day cold cash. only trouble was the whore's and the bars would be waiting to take it!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) I have one question that I could not seem to find on the forum:
Does the Legion still pay in cash or have they moved over to bank accounts? And if so how easy is it to transfer the money overseas or back home? Is it possible to do this via the Legion, or do you have to do this while on leave? (...)
You'll get a bank account opened in your (Legion) name and get a debit card you can use to pay and collect money from ATMs. It used to be La Banque Postale but read that in recent years they switched to Le Crédit Agricole. Not sure why and if the information is still current. Members who are currently serving or left recently could tell us more about that.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Good day.

I have been part of this forum for a while now, but this will be my first post.

First of all, I would like to thank all the current contributors, you have helped me with a LOT of my question, and believe you are doing the Legion a major service by sifting through all the glory boys who think they want the Legion life, but by putting it plain and simple I'm sure you have driven many of them away.

I have one question that I could not seem to find on the forum:
Does the Legion still pay in cash or have they moved over to bank accounts? And if so how easy is it to transfer the money overseas or back home? Is it possible to do this via the Legion, or do you have to do this while on leave?

Once again thank you all for the information, it has been invaluable.

Regards
C

Nowadays, the Legion opens for you a bank account under your Legion name. Your pay is placed there and then you can use it as you want (if you are not confined to barracks, in that case there are automatic restrictions). Be aware that if you try to desert, you loose access to your Legion name and to all your money !

BerserkerOfOdin

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
aye. back in the day cold cash. only trouble was the whore's and the bars would be waiting to take it!

Cold Cash or not, are the whore's and bars still waiting to take it lol. The ladies hanging around the barracks stateside want to much commitment, whatever happened to just paying for a good time.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cold Cash or not, are the whore's and bars still waiting to take it lol. The ladies hanging around the barracks stateside want to much commitment, whatever happened to just paying for a good time.

You need to worry about getting through selection first!