a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Bachelor Diploma - Wait for it, or not?

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Hello all,

I have a question regarding diplomas and certifications to which maybe those in green could give me their 2 cents.

As I mentioned before I am waiting to take care of some administrative stuff before heading to Aubagne and enlist like renewing passport, getting a birth certificate etc. One of these things was to complete my bachelors degree. Today I got confirmation that my graduation request was approved so that I have officially obtained my BSc. There is a problem however: the degree needs to be signed by the examination commission and this will only happen at the graduation ceremony scheduled for the 30 of November! I can ask for a paper certificate that shows I completed the study, but it is not equivalent to the Diploma itself.

My question is: should I wait end of November so that I can bring the Diploma with me at Aubagne, or just go with the substitute certificate and eventually pick the Diploma at a later date and upgrade my files at HQ on a later date?

I am fully aware that a BSc counts next to zero in the selection process, however since I am not in my early 20s anymore, I wanted to bring with me proof of everything I accomplished up to this moment so that I could say to the commission "here, this is what Fabrizio De Gregori accomplished thus far in life". Mentally I have been counting to book my ticket for around mid October, so it would be a set back of more than a month which means, probably have to find job in the meanwhile. If this does increase my chances however, it might be worth the wait.

Thanks for any input!

F de G

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I understand your concerns as I think due to age and showing you have commitment to finish something, but as a mature student who did a degree in the U.K. I don’t really think it will matter the copy or notification you get would be plenty for the Legion. I’m sure they will be more interested in YOU as a person and turning you into a soldier. but only my opinion.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hello all,

I have a question regarding diplomas and certifications to which maybe those in green could give me their 2 cents.

As I mentioned before I am waiting to take care of some administrative stuff before heading to Aubagne and enlist like renewing passport, getting a birth certificate etc. One of these things was to complete my bachelors degree. Today I got confirmation that my graduation request was approved so that I have officially obtained my BSc. There is a problem however: the degree needs to be signed by the examination commission and this will only happen at the graduation ceremony scheduled for the 30 of November! I can ask for a paper certificate that shows I completed the study, but it is not equivalent to the Diploma itself.

My question is: should I wait end of November so that I can bring the Diploma with me at Aubagne, or just go with the substitute certificate and eventually pick the Diploma at a later date and upgrade my files at HQ on a later date?

I am fully aware that a BSc counts next to zero in the selection process, however since I am not in my early 20s anymore, I wanted to bring with me proof of everything I accomplished up to this moment so that I could say to the commission "here, this is what Fabrizio De Gregori accomplished thus far in life". Mentally I have been counting to book my ticket for around mid October, so it would be a set back of more than a month which means, probably have to find job in the meanwhile. If this does increase my chances however, it might be worth the wait.

Thanks for any input!

F de G
I can't even find my hard copy of my degree, it's just a piece of paper.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello all,

Thanks for any input!

F de G
Congrats on completing your degree. What did you study? You don't require any paperwork other than your passport which you may forfeit for a time. An "official" copy of your BSc. certificate is only available from the registrars office from the institution, not from you. A BSc. DOES count in the selection process. It proves that you worked towards and achieved an important goal/credential. In Canada, with any degree you are eligible to enter officer training but without that paper that door is closed. I would strongly recommend that you not share your life story. You along with everyone else will get to see what you're all capable of.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
here, this is what Fabrizio De Gregori accomplished thus far in life
Hi F de G,
First of congratulations on the obtention of your degree.

The reason that I have included the quotation, is to allow me to hark on about running certificates.

for those of you who going to join, it is worth joining a cross country club or any other running club for that matter. Knowing that the legion is big on running, why not put another ace up your sleeve? You will have recent running photos and participation certificates to prove that you can run.

As Jwaltos points out, the less you say on here about yourself, the better.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply. The general sense I get is that I should make sure I can prove my education but I shouldn't worry too much about carrying the actual diploma and that a certificate will suffice. Roger that! :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply. The general sense I get is that I should make sure I can prove my education but I shouldn't worry too much about carrying the actual diploma and that a certificate will suffice. Roger that! :)
Congratulations on earning your degree. As others have stated it proves that you have applied yourself for a considerable length of time. It is an asset when it comes to your recruitment. However there are many equally important factors such as physical fitness, willingness to take orders and personal humility.

I wish you well in your endeavours. So Bonne Chance.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I can't even find my hard copy of my degree, it's just a piece of paper.
I have my post grad hanging in the crapper next to my commission and a picture of Vic Falls lol. Don't ask me why, I like to have a read or podcast listen when dropping the kids off at the pool. The handbrake tells me its a subconscious act of sabotage against the establishment but what does she know, silly moo married me for heavens sake. Never trust her judgement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hello all,

Thanks for any input!

F de G
Hi Fabrizio, Mazel's on the degree china, gold man. Look if I was you I would just take my transcripts. Its all right there, past marks, names, numbers and registration details. To carry the degree certificate is probably a waste of time as they are going to have to ring and get those details verified any how if they need it.

I have plenty of mates who have a degree certificate and 70% of them received a 3rd or 2.2 at a push, basically meaning they turned up to lectures once a year and turned in some work here and there. Too busy in various societies, in the ROTC or shagging and drinking to gain a degree that matters. The latter carrying the highest number of casualties. lol. Any how, again. Congrats and Mazels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Hi Fabrizio, Mazel's on the degree china, gold man. Look if I was you I would just take my transcripts. Its all right there, past marks, names, numbers and registration details. To carry the degree certificate is probably a waste of time as they are going to have to ring and get those details verified any how if they need it.

I have plenty of mates who have a degree certificate and 70% of them received a 3rd or 2.2 at a push, basically meaning they turned up to lectures once a year and turned in some work here and there. Too busy in various societies, in the ROTC or shagging and drinking to gain a degree that matters. The latter carrying the highest number of casualties. lol. Any how, again. Congrats and Mazels.

Thanks mate, I won't lie, the last couple of years I had to "power-hike" my way through the program, especially after having made my mind about going all in for the FFL, but it's a great feeling to be done. You're right, a transcript will be plenty, up to them double checking my credentials and in any case I consider my forte to be something else! 💪

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
By the way, how would you like to be addressed? Rhodie or R.M.W. would work?
Brian is my nick name Fabrizio, from life of Brian but call me Rhodie if you like. Nice and easy to remember on here. I agree about your path in finishing the course, its a slog hey but once its done, its done and they cant take that away from you, ever. Keep us posted amigo. Ciao.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Being a graduate is a useful asset. Nevertheless it certainly does not make you a good soldier. There are many more important factors to take into account.

I have met some superb men with lesser education who are infinitely just as good and if not better than their graduate colleagues.

On an aside in my day less than 3.9% of the populace attended varsity. I did not and it has never bothered me. My 2 commissions and my First from the HK Government Language School more than make up for not attending university. However at my age it remains an irrelevance.🤣

An after thought I regard being trained by former WW2 Commandos to have been extremely educational. Likewise marching to Sarie Marais.;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Being a graduate is a useful asset. Nevertheless it certainly does not make you a good soldier. There are many more important factors to take into account.

I have met some superb men with lesser education who are infinitely just as good and if not better than their graduate colleagues.

On an aside in my day less than 3.9% of the populace attended varsity. I did not and it has never bothered me. My 2 commissions and my First from the HK Government Language School more than make up for not attending university. However at my age it remains an irrelevance.🤣

An after thought I regard being trained by former WW2 Commandos to have been extremely educational. Likewise marching to Sarie Marais.;)

Hey Chas, I agree 100% with you, a degree has zero correlation with good soldiering and I count on other factors that make me feel confident about my chances. Originally I even thought that maybe not mentioning was a good idea to avoid standing out on wrong premises given the context, but hey I greatly doubt that the GRLE wouldn't find out some way or another and in my opinion if you have to dig yourself out at the very start because you forget to mention an important detail over your life like "what have you been doing the last x years in your life"... you're screwed. Plus there is nothing bad about it, I don't plan to put any accent on it but also don't want to come across as somebody full of BS.

I would definitely be happy to switch my degree with your experience, only the fact you've been trained by WWII commando is remarkable, probably the last generation that has fought total war, at least in the west. Can I ask you from what outfits where they from?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Fabrizio De Gregori,

Of course state you are a graduate but don't make a song and dance about it,

As a recruit my Platoon Weapons Instructor the renowned Dizzy Dunsmore had fought with 43 Cdo RM .His unit relieved a former Green's father or uncle who was a Para and gave their silk parachutes to the partisans in exchange for various goodies. (Serge my former Legion oppo knows this story.)

My Colonel had served in 40 Cdo. Various SNCOs' served in 45 Cdo and other units including SBS,

43 Cdo Tom Hunter won the VC at Commachio and Anders Larsen SBS won the VC there Both were sadly killed.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Fabrizio De Gregori,

Of course state you are a graduate but don't make a song and dance about it,

As a recruit my Platoon Weapons Instructor the renowned Dizzy Dunsmore had fought with 43 Cdo RM .His unit relieved a former Green's father or uncle who was a Para and gave their silk parachutes to the partisans in exchange for various goodies. (Serge my former Legion oppo knows this story.)

My Colonel had served in 40 Cdo. Various SNCOs' served in 45 Cdo and other units including SBS,

43 Cdo Tom Hunter won the VC at Commachio and Anders Larsen SBS won the VC there Both were sadly killed.

The 43rd Cdo fought in Italy at Comacchio, holy molly, heavy theater! The 40 Cdo I read fought in France. Right there where the real sh$t hit the fan. I can only imagine the amount of expertise that such chain of command might have had. Also interesting that the RM have entire brigades and battalions of commando forces, if I am not wrong usually these are smaller teams embedded at regimental level? I might be very wrong on this.