[Question] Any Advice?

Home Country
Canada
So, I am a 15 year old in the United States, and while I am not certain of it, it has been a lifelong dream of mine to join the Foreign Legion. I am just wondering if there is anyone here who would happen to have any advice on how to prepare for this, whether mentally or physically.

I have committed enough that I have gotten up to French 2 (Although my teacher this year is shit and hasn't taught us anything other than memes in French.) However I am scared of my fitness, no one in my family is anywhere near athletic, and though I am decently strong and thin right now, I am terrified of falling down that same path and dooming my chances of this.

(PS, sorry if this is in the wrong section, or if it is confusing to read, this is my first post)

Any advice is helpful! (Probably) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home Country
Canada
Here is a link to an exercise program put together by Stoeng, a former Legionnaire. Legion Preparation Training.

I'm don't know what is covered in French 2, but since you are in the United States here is link to free or low cost learning materials: Learning French.

Bon courage mon ami,
Tom
Thank you. If anyone else has any other advice I'm open to it. Diversity of opinions and all that.

Home Country
Canada
You have some years to train or play with things to become more in tune with your body.

You can be naturally athletically gifted, or if you are not naturally there, you can practice/train until you are.

If you don't like running, learn to like it or else it might be very rough for you. Every military runs a lot.

As has already been shown to you, check out that plan. You don't have to be able to do that just yet, but you have a few years to work up to it.

From what I've seen and heard, you don't need to know French initially to join, but it will help/hinder your future with the legions ranks.
As you already know some, keep with it to learn more. It will only help you.

Kick a soccer ball to develop your lungs, gain leg/foot and eye coordination. Do plenty of calisthenics. It will help your overall athleticism.

Most important of all, make sure mentally this is something you really want. You will be signed on a contract if you make it, in a foreign land, where they speak a foreign language. It might be very difficult to back out if you do not want to be there mentally for whatever reason.

We had people who physically were very fit, disappear in the middle of night or miss check ins after libo or leave in the usmc.

I never have been, but will be headed to become, a legionnaire soon. I'm a Marine so every experience here is related to myself and my 4 years doing that. So your mileage will vary.

Home Country
Canada
You have some years to train or play with things to become more in tune with your body.

You can be naturally athletically gifted, or if you are not naturally there, you can practice/train until you are.

If you don't like running, learn to like it or else it might be very rough for you. Every military runs a lot.

As has already been shown to you, check out that plan. You don't have to be able to do that just yet, but you have a few years to work up to it.

From what I've seen and heard, you don't need to know French initially to join, but it will help/hinder your future with the legions ranks.

Kick a soccer ball to develop your lungs, gain leg/foot and eye coordination. Do plenty of calisthenics. It will help your overall athleticism.

Most important of all, make sure mentally this is something you really want. You will be signed on a contract if you make it, in a foreign land, where they speak a foreign language. It might be very difficult to back out if you do not want to be there mentally for whatever reason.

We had people who physically were very fit, disappear in the middle of night or miss check ins after libo or leave in the usmc.

I never have been, but will be headed to become, a legionnaire soon. I'm a Marine so every experience here is related to myself and my 4 years doing that. So your mileage will vary.
Ok, thank you.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
273 5 6
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sir_Wobblefish you're too young for any advice. Live your life, finish school, maybe try army in your country first and then, if still holds you, go to FFL.

Home Country
Canada
Sir_Wobblefish you're too young for any advice. Live your life, finish school, maybe try army in your country first and then, if still holds you, go to FFL.
My main idea is that I should be getting in shape, regardless of what I will be doing, I have no plans to drop out of school or anything like that. I do see where you are coming from though.

IrishHermit

Ratings
Home Country
United States

I would add: This is the

Your officers are going to be Frenchmen who went to French schools. They have a French way of looking at the world. To better understand it I would suggest two books: Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong and The Bonjour Effect. Both are by Julie Barlow and Jean-Benoît Nadeau. You are not just joining a new army, but a whole new universe with its own language and way of looking at things. You are becoming a new cog in a giant machine called la France !

To quote Rapace:
That's a good point. This difference in culture is part of ‘shock’ foreign volunteers will feel when joining the Legion. This shouldn't be underestimated.
Read up on the history of the Légion Étranger, and France. Pay particular attention to the World War Two period and the

These things are part of the collective memory of your officers. The majority will come from Saint-Cyr. Their parents and grandparents lived through things that most Americans can't imagine.

Learn as much about France, its history and culture, as you can. Learn to love that country. Aspire to becoming an officer and having a career in the Légion.

Bon courage mon ami,
Tom

Last edited:
Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sir_Wobblefish,

Education, education young Man ! The most important thing for you in life. Get qualified so that if your current dreams of joining the FFL ever achieve fruition, or do not, you will have something to rely on. Currently you are far too young to decide on what avenue you wish to take in life.

Good luck and if you ever wish to enlist in an elite formation you must have a genuine 'want factor' that will endure every hardship.

Chas with T shirt. 99% need not apply.

Home Country
Canada
Sir_Wobblefish,

Education, education young Man ! The most important thing for you in life. Get qualified so that if your current dreams of joining the FFL ever achieve fruition, or do not, you will have something to rely on. Currently you are far too young to decide on what avenue you wish to take in life.

Good luck and if you ever wish to enlist in an elite formation you must have a genuine 'want factor' that will endure every hardship.

Chas with T shirt. 99% need not apply.
Yeah, my plans are to learn as many languages as possible, do something with that. Don't know if that is a true want factor though.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Find a boxing club. You have years to Achieve a level of fitness that will see you through castel. Just do the training a boxer would do without actually boxing. Stoengs stuff is good. Work alone. No need for gyms or personal trainers. Find a big hill. Run up it. Repeat

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom