a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accuracy of records.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The forum claims that I joined Cervens on 14th January 2006.

I clam that I joined in 2002. This is also evidenced by my e-mail entry in Voltigeur's forum dated 17 October 2002 on page 15 of entries.

I wonder if anyone has experienced similar inaccuracies ?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

I clam that I joined in 2002. This is also evidenced by my e-mail entry in Voltigeur's forum dated 17 October 2002 on page 15 of entries.

Yes, each time the forum changed to another server, the time of joining the forum got changed.
I joined this forum on or about 1998, just after the moderator Phil Wu (R.I.P.) left and joined the Legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe,

Thank you for the explanation.

Should have gone to Specsavers. For ; I clam read I claim.:rolleyes:

Kind regards- Charles.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Charles I have had dozens of posts deleted. Probably because I deserved it! You on the other hand? I would not worry! Joining dates Etc. a small thing! We all know who you are! be well my friend.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was about when from when we we used to get a present at Christmas, off and on over 20 odd years to be honest I can’t remember will dig out a book I got as think their was reference to date the year I got it! But who cares? (Not aimed at you Chas)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was about when from when we we used to get a present at Christmas, off and on over 20 odd years to be honest I can’t remember will dig out a book I got as think their was reference to date the year I got it! But who cares? (Not aimed at you Chas)
I think the hardest time for us papillon was the holidays back in the day. But even you must admit the legion back in the day tried to make things a little bit more normal for us and looked the other way when Noel / camerone came by! We did not have laptops/ smartphones and the internet to keep in touch with the world! Only our regiment . Company. and the lads! Would we change anything? I think not!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I hate holidays. My birthday included. Always had that weird feeling while celebrating birthday as kid.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think the hardest time for us papillon was the holidays back in the day. But even you must admit the legion back in the day tried to make things a little bit more normal for us and looked the other way when Noel / camerone came by! We did not have laptops/ smartphones and the internet to keep in touch with the world! Only our regiment . Company. and the lads! Would we change anything? I think not!

Would not change a thing, also the spell the Legion had over me prior to getting in all the not knowing and all the negiitive stuff I had heard made it more of an adventure and challenge unfortunately like I have said before don’t think I would bother I would have just done my civi jail and time!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am not worried at all. My curiosity was aroused when I was visiting Volt's forum and noticed my first post there. At least in my dotage I can remember my d.o.b. and of course my original RM number. Maybe I am wrong on both and am having a senior moment. Posssibly dreaming and am simply a Walt ! I can't remember.

Miss my mate Legion name Tony Halle- real name Hannant. Lost touch with him a few years back when I was assisting him with a court case. He simply disappeared. I never knew the result He featured in the film made by Simon Murray on the FFL.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Is dead as per what I've heard (topped himself). Knew Tony CEA, 2e REI.
Source : reliable

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Is dead as per what I've heard (topped himself). Knew Tony CEA, 2e REI.
Source : reliable
If true very sad indeed. I tried to help him. He lived in Scunthorpe and was working on a chicken farm. He had also tried his hand at being a chef. I knew his then lady friend and I tried to assist him over a court case in which he was the defendant.
I must be getting soft. This info has spoilt my day. Life is so fragile. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I hate holidays. My birthday included. Always had that weird feeling while celebrating birthday as kid.
I did not hate holidays while serving in the Legion, but I did not care about them either. Therefore, anytime I did not have guard duty those days, I took over guard duty from those who preferred to celebrate those day for a substantial fee.;)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Sorry to have spoiled your day, Chas. For info, when was the last time you spoke with Tony ? Circa 96-98 ? Maim knows my source and Tony too, am more than sure. To describe him, pleasant and non vulgar. Quiet and a thinker who spoke lightly, briefly and sparingly. 1,76 m and 65-70 kg approx.
Was going thin on top. Would be approx, 65 years old today if still alive. If someone can please post up the Simon Murray video I will point out Tony on the time frame, thanks.

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I was in touch with Tony Halle, if I remember right in the early 2000s. He had sent me some sort of a short essay he had written under his real name (Hannant), about the so-called “Îles du Salut” (Salvation Islands), a group of three volcanic islands off French Guyana, including l'Île du Diable (Devil's Island), famous for the prison where Capt Dreyfus was detained as well as, later, the convict nicknamed Papillon (Henri Charrière by his real name) who wrote a book about his experience and his escape that served as the basis for a movie with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.
It was well written. Sorry if it's confirmed that he took his own life.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My source is more than reliable and Maim can confirm (@ Miam, big Phil M., aka captain Pug Wash, beard and trans in 1st company + 2 tours in 3 REI, ex Royal Navy). Told me, and I can be exact on this. ..30 Avril 98
Please post a link to Simon Murray's vid.
Thanks

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Stop at 20:15, during the French lessons sequence. A cadre calls Halle by his name for him to repeat and asks several times “Qu'est-ce que c'est ?” (what is it?). And he replies “C'est de la terre.” (it's dirt), “C'est un caillou” (it's a stone), etc. Further on, am not there yet, just him explaining why he joined to Simon.

Post Shitum:
Used up my donees and now on 3 G, can't read You tube no more (will try later)

Chas, do you confirm we are talking about the same Tony ? (going by the video)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I did not hate holidays while serving in the Legion, but I did not care about them either. Therefore, anytime I did not have guard duty those days, I took over guard duty from those who preferred to celebrate those day for a substantial fee.;)
I did Xmas duty officer duty since I was unmarried. Before that as a real Marine WIMP, I sold my rum ration and issue cigarettes. As an excuse I was only being paid 28 shillings a week and had to purchase my cleaning kit out of that princely sum. A RM captain at that time earned £700.00 per annum. 28 shillings equated then to £1,8 . Every Friday night in the ranks was 'big eats' with a run ashore and a good meal since it was pay day.

Sorry to have spoiled your day, Chas. For info, when was the last time you spoke with Tony ? Circa 96-98 ? Maim knows my source and Tony too, am more than sure. To describe him, pleasant and non vulgar. Quiet and a thinker who spoke lightly, briefly and sparingly. 1,76 m and 65-70 kg approx.
Was going thin on top. Would be approx, 65 years old today if still alive. If someone can please post up the Simon Murray video I will point out Tony on the time frame, thanks.
No problem fact of life. At least 2 out of the 3 I assisted on this forum are alive and kicking.