a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bit of a change of plans

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well I've been absent from the forum for about a month. Still training, still practicing French, but decided to change my plan quite a lot, actually.

I'm an American, so of course I've been following the idiot candidates for our President. At first, this was part of my motivation to get up and get out of the country, but as it closer and closer (just a few days away now), the more I realized that leaving feels....just wrong. 3 of my 4 grand parents are still alive, my parents and I get along, so do I and my siblings. I've got lots of friends here. Really, if I had left for the Legion already, I would probably be regretting it right now. So I don't think the Legion is right for me at this point in time, because I know that leaving behind people I care about with 2 psycho paths vying for power in my country would be a massive distraction

Here's another thing. I really still want to serve in the military (again). But like most gung ho young men, I'm not interested in garrison life. It doesn't appeal to me, and it's not for lack of discipline, I just don't need that kind of lifestyle. I want to be in an army to do army stuff. Go into combat, help people in need, stop bad guys. As of this moment, the war in the middle east seems to be a special forces/air power war, and conventional troops like regular Legionnaires aren't a major part of operations there. If I went in right now, I feel like i'd be wasting my time, or sent somewhere like Djibouti

There seems to be a whole lot of people convinced that the world is hitting its boiling point. Humanity isn't mean to co exist like this for so long. Follow any news station and you'll see all kinds of tension rising between NATO and Russia, as well as Iran, North Korea and other countries. Any student of history can see that the things happening now are similar to how both of our world wars ended up starting. So....if something global pops off, I would try to reenlist here. Failing that, then the Legion would be my destination

So as of right now, knowing that even if I got accepted into the Legion, combat isn't promised, I'm not going. I'm taking the advice of the legionnaires on this forum and adding myself to the 99% that need not apply

Might pop into to the forum now and then because the Legion is honestly one of the coolest things on planet earth, and there's lots of cool dudes on here. But I'm fairly certain my destiny is not to wear the Képi Blanc

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well you have thought about it and made your decision. The Legion isn't for everyone and yes it has its setbacks such as not seeing family.
Good luck and thanks for letting us know.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Katalmach,

Well said and a sensible solution. You are to be congratulated on your honesty. Still enjoy the forum with visits from time to time.
This old fart had to join in the days of National Service. (Draft). So I volunteered hoping to achieve my choice.

By the way the quote; 99% need not apply, only relates to those that apply to the Royal Marines. Even now only 7% complete the whole basic training from their initial PRMC which is a 3 day test and acquaint for commando service.

As for your Goodself you have my best wishes for an interesting and successful future.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Combat is never guaranteed no matter where you go with any unit....perhaps with the obvious exception of top tier Special Forces units. ‘Garrison life’ will still involve deployments to places you have never been and challenges you have never faced and if things kick off France will send the Legion. Radical Islam isn't disappearing anytime soon. Not in our lifetimes.

But if you want a signed, sealed letter guaranteeing that you ‘see the elephant’, well... it won't happen. You take a chance and roll the dice and join the brotherhood like everyone else. You will never see combat or have the life you want if you never take the first step.

Good luck, though gotta say I've seen it before: guys are soooo super gung-ho and then as they get closer to D-day they talk themselves out of it. That's not meant as a jibe but. Honestly, if you want something, you go for it full on and nothing will or would dissuade you. Everyone, or the vast majority of us have family that we care about, but you gotta live your life and pursue your dreams, and elections come and go... Really this election is nothing special, nut jobs, fascists and corporate whores... nothing new. You make a choice and you stick with it. It is best you didn't go.

The truth remains. The Legion isn't for everyone.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Ok man. If you are not sure now, it's better not to go. That's way I'm making my mind for aboot whole year. Want to be absolutely sure befor I take my chances.

In the last couple of weeks i finally make my mind and only two ways am going out of that casarne in Aubagne it's if they don't won't me are with france flag over me (deserved retirement it's also option :))

As for the Chas and he's 99% (good man and I respect him) That's really good and simple test. If one after reading that just give up on his dreams, than FFL definitely isn't for him.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) There seems to be a whole lot of people convinced that the world is hitting its boiling point. Humanity isn't mean to co exist like this for so long. Follow any news station and you'll see all kinds of tension rising between NATO and Russia, as well as Iran, North Korea and other countries. Any student of history can see that the things happening now are similar to how both of our world wars ended up starting. So....if something global pops off, I would try to reenlist here. Failing that, then the Legion would be my destination. (...)
Hahha interesting thing. Our friend from forum who's been in Aubagne 2-3 weeks ago and gave up on his own told me exactly same reason. “WW3 is coming and I want to fight for my country.â€￾
Guys please, don't let stupid media take your mind. Worst thing which could happen is for Russia to attack Ukraine. They will not risk direct attack on NATO neither will NATO attack them. Only if retarded media brainwash enough people into ‘war is coming’ state, then everything is possible.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks all, for the responses

Nick, I want to say that I know you're right. It's always a chance, and the pride of being a legionnaire should always be one's first priority when deciding to uproot their life. Perhaps things will change for me later on, but for now it's "wait and see"

And in a global scale war, there's no way the Legion won't see action. They are too few in number to be held in a reserve capacity. For example, even in WW2, the national guard of the USA was deployed to frontline because of the need for able bodies fighting men. If there was a much larger conflict, I'd be more inclined to take a chance

I'll be around, gents. I donated to the forum for a reason. This is a nice place with nice people in it

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Are you guys scared of WW3? :). They will send a Legion first where? If nuclear heads start flying around I'll rather be with hundreds guys with FAMAS ready to fight that at my home. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
As for WW3, You have more chance of survival in the Legion than you do in your Dorethy yellow brick road shelter in the back yard. You will be trained and equipped against a nuclear attack. It would not be like WW2 where as as soon as the all clear goes off, you come up from the subway and check out the damage.
Which brings me to the comment Dusaboss made, they are not that dumb to start a nuke war. And Einstein who answered that he didn't know how the next world war would be fought but the one after that would be with sticks and stones.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Even if Russia and USA somehow get in direct confrontation, that for sure not gonna be total nuclear hollywood style war. Probable will start with skirmishing here and there.
And much closer to the reality is that these two sides will wage war as they always did. Through some third countries.
Only thing which worries me is that stupid media which for a profit making stories from thin air. If they convince enough people that WW3 is here than politician have follow will of the people and that magic circle can F as all.

GrimboSlyce

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Even if you decided against it I'm still glad you joined the forum. I'd never have made an IRL friend in ya.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm not looking to go running to a shelter, i'm looking to fight. I'd just prefer to do it in my own country's army. Shouldn't that be every patriot's goal? Lots of Legionnaires on here first served in their own military. I just happened to make a mistake and ruined my chances for that, if only for the time being. Legion is great but the Legion is my 2nd choice. It wasn't always, but now it is. Life goes on. I'll reassess later on

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
WW3 is less likely now than before the US elections. Trump and Putin have mutual respect. I think the US / world will be a better place, especially now the UK is leaving the EU... Here how Trump got in by a lefty liberal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

Last edited by a moderator: