30yo wannabe

Hi everybody and thanks for your time.
I'm just a wannabe that before meeting this forum (couple of weeks ago) knew the ffl as described in the old movies i.e. settled in algeria fighting at war all time.I'm pleasantly surprised that times are changed.
My main reason for joining the legion is because i'm too old for joining my home country's army where the cut off age is 25.Unfortunately i discovered too late what it could be my passion.I''m 30yo,unmarried and without a profession so i actually concluded nothing in my life.The legion may give me the chance to make the change.
I'm in a perfect shape,i love sport,the adventure and working hard.I've been travelling the world for some yrs away from home and now i feel inapte to everyday life,i still need adventures.I have the opportunity to join the italian fire department,a noble job to be a firefighter,but not yet enough exciting for me.
let's get to the point.being already 30yo i'm still looking for the adventure,but also in a kind of stability,of a career and possibly one day to be so lucky to find a wife to make a family with.So,here are my questions:
Once the basic ends,how's the everyday life in the regiment for a leggionaire?
How often are practised combat sports?and sport in general?
how much free time do you get?on your first yrs,after the first contract,etc
what are more or less the working hours?are u free to leave the regiment at the end of the day?
After how long time are you allowed to sleep out of the barraks(during the weekdays as well?)and so to have a partner to share the everyday life with?(let alone the times you're on stages,opex,etc)
Can u marry before the end of your first contract if you make it to sgt?
So,how is it the social life?
And what's the difference in these things about the 2 rep?
I understand the meaning of legio patria nostra and that should be the answer to all my questions,but i'm asking to you anciens because like for everything else the reality is different from the legend sometimes.
I believe is better to think twice evaluating as more as possible instead doing something something stupid,loosing time and to be one more diserter.A gave word must be respected.
i apologise for my english
Thanks a lot

Before becoming a sargent with a wife (you asked ) concentrate more in getting thru sélection. ..is all am saying !
Sûre, you can have and are entitled to expectations
Yes, you can marry, if accorded , caporaux chefs too (if accorded. ..it is easier for the french, for sure

Before becoming a sargent with a wife (you asked ) concentrate more in getting thru sélection. ..is all am saying !
Sûre, you can have and are entitled to expectations
Yes, you can marry, if accorded , caporaux chefs too (if accorded. ..it is easier for the french, for sure
Probably i'm wrong,but i don't get thru selection and sign on a 5 year contract (if accepted of course),if later i may regreat my time over there.I know for someone the legion has been the wrong choice.As i already said i don't wanna be one more diserter.That's why i'm focusing on this stuff which may be silly for someone but probably important to me.When you say expectations,you mean holiday?So,if make it to castelnaudary and then be sent to the regiment,when i'll be allowed to rent my flat and sleeping out every night(if ever possible,of course)?Again,sorry for my silly questions and merci beaucoup for your time!

You get thru Castel and go to a regiment..you can sleep out in town with a chérie at her appartenant, no problem
Difficultés arise when you want to make it official. ...depending on your rank, service, notation etc
Italien, huh ?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
I'm not legionar, but i will try to help

?So,if make it to castelnaudary and then be sent to the regiment,when i'll be allowed to rent my flat and sleeping out every night(if ever possible,of course)?
After 5 years. During your first contract its mandatory to sleep in barracks.

How often are practised combat sports?and sport in general?
I guess you have some self defense training during your instruction. but you have a lot combat clubs in FFL (depends on regiment) where you can train in your free time.
how much free time do you get?on your first yrs,after the first contract,etc
You can find this on official site. It is think 15 days in first year gradually increasing towards 45 days in later years.
what are more or less the working hours?are u free to leave the regiment at the end of the day?
weekends
And what's the difference in these things about the 2 rep?
I guess all is little bit tighter there, little bit more discipline , they say , and you can't leave island until you don't get your passport back.

You can always ask to leave, with out deserting. ..even that is subjected to bureaucracy
Be sure of your self and what you want and be realistic toô
Be careful what you say in Aubange, if you get that far. ...when they ask you : " what do you expect from the légion "...do not reply with domestic comfort, figa inclu
Is just not serious enougth

You get thru Castel and go to a regiment..you can sleep out in town with a chérie at her appartenant, no problem
Difficultés arise when you want to make it official. ...depending on your rank, service, notation etc
Italien, huh ?
ahahahah damned italians and their dolce vita!ok now i get it!of course i didn't mean to have everything straight away,not even on my first year!i'm not scared on cleaning toilets and working hard,i was just curious if at the end of the day(no matter how long) i was allowed to cook good pasta for my roomates and screw up a nice girl!that said even cleaning 1000 toilets sounds like a paradise!
Cheers mon caporal!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
ahahahah damned italians and their dolce vita!ok now i get it!of course i didn't mean to have everything straight away,not even on my first year!i'm not scared on cleaning toilets and working hard,i was just curious if at the end of the day(no matter how long) i was allowed to cook good pasta for my roomates and screw up a nice girl!that said even cleaning 1000 toilets sounds like a paradise!
Cheers mon caporal!
Hahha. Funny enough I while reading your post I thought about same thing. How cool would be to try pasta cooked by Italian. :)

Most viewed threads of the week