a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Instruction Company chanting "Connaissez-vous ces hommes" - 1972?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Maybe will bring back some memories to some of the anciennes that served during that time? This footage is incredibly evocative, I might have watched it 1000 times. My apologies if it's a re-post.

Hi F de G, It is a well known fact among the greens that from time to time legion basic training was carried out in Corte, Corsica. Most of us will know someone who did his basic training there. It came about when Castel was overflowing. 2 REI were based there until '83 (if I'm not mistaken).
When I was at Calvi, I actually went on a visit to the Citadel, Corte to have a look around. I also went to visit the section d'épreuve, which is quite impressive, I'd taken quite a few photos at the time, which I no longer have. It hade the reputation of being the harshest legion prison at the time, even tougher than fort Maillebois.

1630202414009.pngT

That is Maillebois in the background, with fort de la Torretta (baptized Charlet in the 19th century). A bit of nostalgia here -as both forts have been given back to the Calvi's mayor's office.
Fort Charlet was where the military police were and Maillebois is where the legion used to keep it's surplus ammunitions. Maillebois used to have a dog handler with his dog, yes there is a section cynophile in the REP - I don't mean to get side stepped here - but they do jump with their dogs.
On the right of the two forts can be seen a square of white, which is the legion's cemetery. On the left is the town's cemetery where the legion also has a 'plot'.
The two forts, one of which was a garrison - no points for guessing which- and the other was a lookout post. Both were to protect the citadel which is out of sight in the top right left hand corner of the frame.

It did not stop Lord Nelson from taking it (hold on while I look it up) it was taken by the English on the night of July 13 to 14, 1794, during the siege of Calvi led by Admiral Nelson.
Enter Pascal Paoli (who has a hotel named after him ;) among other places).

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Maybe will bring back some memories to some of the anciennes that served during that time? This footage is incredibly evocative, I might have watched it 1000 times. My apologies if it's a re-post.

One of my favored videos.
I have posted and shared this one many times on face book.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, this is one of the more "stirring" chants. My memories of this come from the old CastelBordel parade ground (with that freaky Harry Potter tree next to the chiottes) but the Ai-o chrorus seemed to be far more pronounced there than in this Corte footage. The second row Kepi Noir looks like Stoeng in that film, but I think 73 is too early for him. One of the comments in that video talks unkindly of a Sgt Garcia (if it's the same American) who I had the pleasure of knowing when we were both stuck in CAPLE for a while. He was a mate of mine and the then 1er pompe Rock Starr (before rectification - ex Musique Principale then Adj in gestapo as the 15 year mark approached). There's a BBC YouTube video somewhere of Camerone at Augagne in 82 or 83 following the creepy cnut Simon Murray documentary where Garcia is interviewed. A good guy...
Those permanently pissed Cpl Chefs in Fort St Nicolas must have had the time of their lives handing out new names to EVs. I also knew an Adolph Hilter (no joke),
Anyway - Those were heady days indeed! 24 bottles seemed to go down without any problem whatsover and still up at 5.30 without a hangover :)
And Christmas at Malmousque ! - what a gas...

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oh... and just for the record (with my deepest aplogies in advance to any REI guys), but waiting for affectation after basic training in the 4eme was a nightmare,
So everybody knew in advance that the guy in the section that had given the most hand jobs to the Sous Lieut was going to stay on a foutre foute, all the posh guys and grease monkeys were going to the pony club in Orange, and all the Rambos would be off to Calvi. As for the rest - ohhh no - Bonifacio or Corte for you lot (Corte was well known at the time for its internationally acclaimed boule zero hairdressing stage),
Things have probably changed since then I guess...