a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 of the most powerful armies in the world

DanSorin

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
Seeing three Arab countries in top 25 and how big is the budget of Saudi Arabia, I remembered this video:

I don't know how accurate is the video, and how actually it is in our days, but is source is:

source: De Atkine, N. (1999, December 1). Why Arabs Lose Wars. Retrieved January 5, 2016, from http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars
In the modern era of warfare, Arabic-speaking countries have been generally ineffective. Egyptian special forces fared poorly against Yemeni tribes and irregular forces. The Iraqi army has collapsed several times; The Iran Iraq War, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and against the Islamic State. And the Arabs have done poorly in nearly all military confrontations with Israel. Many Middle Eastern states have not adapted to the modern battlefield.

I was expecting to see Mexico and Spain in the top, probably they are in top 30.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Seeing three Arab countries in top 25 and how big is the budget of Saudi Arabia, I remembered this video:

I don't know how accurate is the video, and how actually it is in our days, but is source is:

I was expecting to see Mexico and Spain in the top, probably they are in top 30.
Thanks for sharing that Dan. Although I'm not a military expert, some of the remarks would go well with African armed forces. With Africa it's quite often a case of the guy in charge (president) promoting his family to being a general.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The reports on the UK are way out. The manpower figure including Reserves is wrong. Weapons, mechanization. materiel, aircraft and ships are wrong. Currently our situation is dire, albeit we have always punched above our weight. However we are now finally increasing our defence budget despite cuts in various areas. Sadly the 'Bean Counters' who have never served rule the roost financially. Defence of the Nation is paramount for any country. Our politicians have let us down.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If those figures can be trusted its interesting to see the UK has much the same defence budget as Russia.

Countdown

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
If those figures can be trusted its interesting to see the UK has much the same defence budget as Russia.

Yes that may sound surprising to many, as we all have the impression that Russia is a huge militaristic country (well, yes, they are) but considering that their GDP is about the same as Spain, which have less than a third of Russias population, there is no surprise that Russia and the UK spends about the same amount on defence. UK has more than twice the GDP of Russia, while the UK has a population of 60 millions, and Russia 145 millions...

However, prices on equipment and soldiers wage in Russia is lower than in western countries, so Russia gets more bang for the buck...

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes that may sound surprising to many, as we all have the impression that Russia is a huge militaristic country (well, yes, they are) but considering that their GDP is about the same as Spain, which have less than a third of Russias population, there is no surprise that Russia and the UK spends about the same amount on defence. UK has more than twice the GDP of Russia, while the UK has a population of 60 millions, and Russia 145 millions...

However, prices on equipment and soldiers wage in Russia is lower than in western countries, so Russia gets more bang for the buck...
More bang for buck but its about quality not quantity ;) (Of both men and equipment)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You can't really compare Russia and western countries in that way. On that level they still operate under some communist patterns so not all spending is on the paper. In US army have to pay for everything, in Russia if its is for army, for example raw Iron, they don't really pay for that etc. There is many thing that are not visible.

What I noticed is that US and UK constantly complain about low army budget (understandable ,so they can get more money), not enough guns etc. In Russia is opposite, they constantly bragging about their military power.
In reality, nether west is so low in military power, nether Russia is so strong. :)

But yes Chas I believe you are right about situation in UK military, Just If you look bigger picture my claims have sense. Russian army is in one point been so low that they probably sold some of nuclear heads on black market still you couldn't hear publicly from Russian officials that their army is weakened

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for sharing that Dan. Although I'm not a military expert, some of the remarks would go well with African armed forces. With Africa it's quite often a case of the guy in charge (president) promoting his family to being a general.
Spot-on Joe. That is case with many Arab armies too. So that's why they lose wars, not enough professionals. Climing up the ranks is on cousin line or ass-licking system (that second is much more than in other armies ;)) so of cours you would'n not have good army.

Today, Saudi prince replaced all high army officials. I don't believe that he brings up more professional replacements it only establishes its power which is already far too absolute.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Look statistically it is correct. But seriously, you wanna tell me we are better trained/equipped than Pakistan, Israel and Iran??? I have read more than one article and they all seem to overestimate the power of the Egyptian Army. Our soldiers use 1970s AKs guys..... outdated weapons, guns. Our Abraham tank fleet is an 80s fleet. We have a couple of aircraft carriers whom I already told mons caporal we cannot even control or handle. We lack equipment/weaponry/training and most important BRAINS!
You see here, they focus on the utmost supreme strength at the expense of everything else. An example: you have to graduate from the academy with no less than 60 pull-ups and if you want a leave every time to get permission to leave the base you need 100+ pushups + 100+ situps but that's just about it. These things cost no money so they let you do it. When it comes to brains we have none. Equipment none. Egyptian soldiers are one of the most stupid human beings you can ever come to contact with. You know in SF ideally, you get an escape and evade course in the final week of your training. In the SAS or DELTA it is maximum for 3 days or a week at most. Here, because the rate of failure is so damn high our soldiers/officers in the SF are trained for months to resist torture because they always fail and get captured by the enemy. You get thrown in salty water for hours. You get electricity, beaten up by a whip called well satan's dick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You literally get treated like an animal. They make Spetsnaz training look like scout girls picking flowers. That's why the idea of Martyrdom is being propagated in the SF here in Egypt. When they parachute you in they do not have the means or equipment to pick you up and send you back home. It is a one way ticket. Instead they tell you, you are going to paradise to sleep with 72 very beautiful girls :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:When SF are on an operation here they do not carry a 50 pounds rucksack of equipment, they cannot find enough equipment to even fill a 20 pounds rucksack instead they are taught how to hunt from the wilderness and eat snakes rabbits etc etc which isn't really effective these days considering I once saw an SAS documentary showing that they had all sorts of food and supplies in their rucksacks. I mean you can depend on that as a last way of survival when you run out of everything. But you cannot depend on that as you main way of supplying yourself!
And that was the SF guys, the most trained well equipped force in Egypt. What do you think is the situation for a regular soldier/officer or worse a conscript?
All in all, they are just overestimating us because we have a lot of manpower and toughness but really that's all we have. Try making a Sayeret officer or shayatet or whatever they are called face a 777/999 ours will be tough and muscular as hell but brainless, out of options, out of equipment and most of all out of knowledge. The Israeli will kick our man's sorry ass.
We once had a very strong SF unit in the 70s which was trained by the SAS but the stupid El Sadat (former president) thought they would represent a threat over his reign and may one day take part in a coup against him! so he well....disbanded them and transferred them into "logistics" regiments.....
Here, our lovely armed forces still believe that bodybuilders can actually make good special forces soldiers apparently they still crave Rambo and the expendables and the Hollywood bullshit. They forget the fact that them bodybuilders, cannot run, cannot be flexible, cannot be fast, cannot be swift or silent.
To be honest, we have quality fighter pilots and artillary officers but that's just about it. Even our intelligence, it is so damn busy with Sissi and whoever opposes him and the elections that it has forgotten it is our frontline defense against ISIS!
Sorry guys, but the world have a very wrong idea about our armed forces. If it was very strong as they claim it is, they would have managed to kill 1000 JIhadis hiding in Sinai's wilderness 5 years ago. Instead, we absolutely lost the war and now there are thousands of Jihadists in Sinai. Where is our SF? It is guarding Monsieur Sissi's palace and parades. While our poor college graduate conscripts are fighting ex SF terrorists in Sinai.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
British and French are/were, similar (before some dirty rich aristrocrat,could buy his company /régiment, ship and set off to fetch famé and glory. ...the tableau,"the raft of the Medusà, by Theodore Gericault (can be seen in the Louvre museum) was painted to denounce, ,favouritism/priviliged incompetence
Highly trained, well equiped armies are toys for arrogant , manipulating :Kings, Présidents and Generals

Power to thé people. .but am the chef

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
But you have nice propaganda videos keegan mactavish . :)

Watching this, one would say that you look lock, stock and ready to kick some ISIS ass.

I believe you that situation in Egyptian army aren't great especially if you compare it with western armies, but reading all your posts I get the impression that you over exaggerating little bit.

Also, if I'm not wrong, you don't have direct connections with army so everything you know you heard from someone? You know, situation today ain't good anywhere. If you go to legion I'm afraid your gonna be disappointed if you expect the machine which work as Swiss clock.

Isn't fair to compare Egyptian army with western. Compare it with, Tunisia, Algeria. Compare it with your southern neighbor Sudan so than you gone have different opinion :).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If we did better job with Non-Aligned movement maybe we would today have force which can parry NATO and (non existing) Eastern Block.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea

Salvation Army puts the fear of God in anyone who crosses their path
They have a mission and the mission is divine
Forgot, hairy arse is orthodoxe. ... (if 1 day Serbia integrates the european community, you will get to know who are the Salvation Army are. ..and Jéhovah Witnesses

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Salvation Army puts the fear of God in anyone who crosses their path
They have a mission and the mission is divine
Forgot, hairy arse is orthodoxe. ... (if 1 day Serbia integrates the european community, you will get to know who are the Salvation Army are. ..and Jéhovah Witnesses
We already have Jehovah's Witnesses in abundance and some other jolly fellows coming to my doorstep. Didn't bother to ask everyone to whom they give alliance.
Not sure about Salvation Army.

Anyway, I know who they are, but still dunno why you bring that up?

Edit:
Aaaaa. I get It now. Man you are all in riddles :)

Last edited: