13th DBLE Vs 2nd REI, and HK416

1. Since both regiments (13th Dble and 2nd Rei) are infantry, what are the primary differences? Is 13th Dble considered more elite than 2nd Rei? Are 13th Dble troops more likely to be deployed abroad than 2nd Rei?

2. Are members of 2nd Rei and 13th Dble currently obtaining regular deployments to regions in Africa where French troops are active? If so, for how long and how often?

3. Regarding the procurement of the HK416, I have read in the news that troops in the 13th Dble were among the first to receive the weapon. Is it likely that most of the Foreign Legion will be equipped with the HK416 within the next year or 2? Has the HK416 been procured by any troops in 2nd Rep? My impression is that the French military wants it's best units who will be the ones most likely deployed to combat to receive the HK416 before anyone else in the French military.

176607Mick

Unregistered
In response to Point 1. There is no elite within the Legion, a legionnaire is a legionnaire. Point 2 is easily found out on google and point 3... I've heard that all front line infantry units will be getting the HK whether Legion or not such as the RPIMa's etc.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
1. Since both regiments (13th Dble and 2nd Rei) are infantry, what are the primary differences? Is 13th Dble considered more elite than 2nd Rei? Are 13th Dble troops more likely to be deployed abroad than 2nd Rei?

2. Are members of 2nd Rei and 13th Dble currently obtaining regular deployments to regions in Africa where French troops are active? If so, for how long and how often?

3. Regarding the procurement of the HK416, I have read in the news that troops in the 13th Dble were among the first to receive the weapon. Is it likely that most of the Foreign Legion will be equipped with the HK416 within the next year or 2? Has the HK416 been procured by any troops in 2nd Rep? My impression is that the French military wants it's best units who will be the ones most likely deployed to combat to receive the HK416 before anyone else in the French military.
1. Start by a little courteous hello before giving a list of questions.

2. Finish off with a courteous end such as : any information will be appreciated.

3. Maybe start again

In response to Point 1. There is no elite within the Legion, a legionnaire is a legionnaire. Point 2 is easily found out on google and point 3... I've heard that all front line infantry units will be getting the HK whether Legion or not such as the RPIMa's etc.
1. I simply want to know the core differences between 2nd Rei and 13th Dble. What I mean by “more eliteâ€￾, is the 13th dble more specialized for things such as rapid deployment or frontal assaults?
2. No, the French Foreign Legion is rarely ever in the news and no news organization ever reports how often and how long a regiment of the Legion is deployed to Africa. I have no way of knowing if 13th Dble troops are in Mali or Central African Republic at the moment. It's not as if the Legion releases a press statement every time a regiment is deployed for a mission.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
(...) 3. Regarding the procurement of the HK416, I have read in the news that troops in the 13th Dble were among the first to receive the weapon. Is it likely that most of the Foreign Legion will be equipped with the HK416 within the next year or 2? Has the HK416 been procured by any troops in 2nd Rep? My impression is that the French military wants it's best units who will be the ones most likely deployed to combat to receive the HK416 before anyone else in the French military.
13th DBLE is now in process of building up to full-strength regiment. It could be possible that they will give them new rifles now instead of giving them old and then replacing them after short time.

176607Mick

Unregistered
13th DBLE is now in process of building up to full-strength regiment. It's could be possible that they will give them new rifles now instead of giving them old and then replacing them after short time.
When are you going to France?

SnafuSmite

2. No, the french foreign legion is rarely ever in the news and no news organization ever reports how often and how long a regiment of the Legion is deployed to Africa. I have no way of knowing if 13th Dble troops are in Mali or Central African Republic at the moment. It's not as if the Legion releases a press statement every time a regiment is deployed for a mission

1. I simply want to know the core differences between 2nd Rei and 13th Dble. What I mean by "more elite", is the 13th dble more specialized for things such as rapid deployment or frontal assaults?
2. The FFL is like any French army unit, just gotta look in the right places. Obviously CNN won't post anything about them cause it's got nothing to do with them check out this website http://foreignlegion.info they give alot or up to date stuff with deployments and things but 90% of the time you'll hear on the forum first.

1. 2 Rep is the "designated" first response unit in the FFL, 13dble specializes in Desert Warfare and security assistance and is classified as mechanized infantry. 2REI is mechanized infantry but acts in an infantry role, they are also designated as the French military unit that will test new equipment at a regimental level.

I stand corrected but this is what I've learned from the web and the forum. Try hi as well next time, would stand you in a better light.

SnafuSmite

Each Regiment has a role to play, no point comparing, would you compare a tractor to a Ferrari, no each has its own purpose.

2. No, the French Foreign Legion is rarely ever in the news and no news organization ever reports how often and how long a regiment of the Legion is deployed to Africa. I have no way of knowing if 13th Dble troops are in Mali or Central African Republic at the moment. It's not as if the Legion releases a press statement every time a regiment is deployed for a mission.
You could not be more wrong. It's not a big hush hush unit that no one talks about, as long as there is no reason to keep the deployment a secret (so 99% of the time) then it's public information. In fact every month in the issue of Képi Blanc (the Legion magazine) there is a map with all the current deployments.

(...)
1. Let's say that 13e DBLE is more ‘light’ infantry than 2e REI which belongs to a light armoured brigade and has recently received the new VBCI infantry combat armoured vehicle. I think it'll take some time and more training until 13e DBLE is considered ready for deployment. Maybe one more year or so (just an educated guess, don't quote me on this).
3. All Legion units (and not only them) will ultimately receive the HK-416. A total of 102,000 copies have been ordered, to be delivered over the next 10 years. As rightly mentioned by Dusaboss, the 13e DBLE having been recently upgraded to a full-strength regiment, so it made sense to equip them directly with the new rifle, rather than issuing them with the FAMAS and then replacing it with the HK. Other units have their FAMAS and can keep using it for some more time.

1. Start by a little courteous hello before giving a list of questions.

2. Finish off with a courteous end such as : any information will be appreciated.

3. Maybe start again
When you get to France, if that is your goal, you will learn that the French are very polite. If you walk into a store to make a purchase, order coffee at a café, or get on a bus you always say, “Bonjourâ€￾. If you don't, you will be looked upon as a barbarian who just climbed out from under a rock. You cannot over do bonjour. And thank people for their help. Merci pour votre aide. :p

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
We'll ask Mick about his Maserati again!
Snafu, the love of my life has come back from France on Tuesday. We had agreed that she brought me some couscous royal, paella, cassoulet et Euro million tickets. I've got two tickets of two draws a week for the next 5 weeks. If it has to be a Maserati, so be it ! I'll buy it.
I know that this is a Legion forum so I will add that I would buy a minibus with wheelchair carrying capabilities for Puyloubier and Auriol.

Everybody cross their fingers for me, there is a Maserati in a dealers showroom with my name on it.

Snafu, the love of my life has come back from France on Tuesday. We had agreed that she brought me some couscous royal, paella, cassoulet et Euro million tickets. I've got two tickets of two draws a week for the next 5 weeks. If it has to be a Maserati, so be it ! I'll buy it.
I know that this is a Legion forum so I will add that I would buy a minibus with wheelchair carrying capabilities for Puyloubier and Auriol.

Everybody cross their fingers for me, there is a Maserati in a dealers showroom with my name on it.
Bonne chance !

Snafu, the love of my life has come back from France on tuesday. We had agreed that she brought me some cous cous royal, Paella, cassoulet et Euro million tickets. I've got two tickets of two draws a week for the next 5 weeks. If it has to be a Maserati, so be it ! I'll buy it.
I know that this is a legion forum so I will add that I would buy a minibus with wheelchair carrying capabilities for Puyloubier and Auriol.

Bon chance !

Most viewed threads of the week