13 may 1978 starts another chapter in the Legion's history

Rapace

Ratings
288 2 1
Home Country
France
In the movie all names have been changed, but Italian actor Giuliano Gemma plays a part ‘inspired’ by SCH Norbert Daniel KIA on May 20, 1978.
He's the one we see on the forefront of the movie poster.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Ratings
Home Country
Canada
Looks to me that if you want to be on some important pictures in the Legion you have to earn sword and wing on beret. And fack it I'm going for my wings!
You will go for what the Legion tells you to go. If you are sent to 2 REP, you will go for your wings, but if you are sent to the Musique de la Légion Etrangère (MLE) you will go for your trumpet or your drum. Without discussion. You can only suggest a place to be sent to (a regiment) if you are among the first ones at the end of instruction.

UNDERSTOOD, wannabe ?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Ratings
Home Country
Canada

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
664 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
You will go for what the Legion tells you to go. If you are sent to 2 REP, you will go for your wings, but if you are sent to the Musique de la Légion Etrangère (MLE) you will go for your trumpet or your drum. Without discussion. You can only suggest a place to be sent to (a regiment) if you are among the first ones at the end of instruction.

UNDERSTOOD, wannabe ?
Sorry, posted like when I meant dislike. Can't see tne connection between the REP and serving the musique. Both are welcome.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
275 5 6
Home Country
Yugoslavia

UNDERSTOOD, wannabe ?
Yes sir! I would be happy to be accepted in brotherhood. Regiment does not play big part for me.Still I have great wish for my wings ;).

loustic

Banned
Banned
Ratings
Home Country
Canada
Sorry, posted like when I meant dislike. Can't see tne connection between the REP and serving the musique. Both are welcome.
And I like your post.

I just meant that dussabos should not say "he wants to go for his wings" : he will first try to be selected, and then to do reasonably well during instruction, and then go wherever the Legion tells him to go : 2 REP (and get his wings) or 3 REI (and get to know the Selva) or the MLE (and get to play his instrument). He will, if selected, have to obey all orders ! He will have to go to all the stages chosen for him and certainly not say "I want this but I don't want that".

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
275 5 6
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Really!! You have nerve posting that! Fecking leave or piss off!!
I'm waiting for passport. Don't know about wings (I will love to get pair). Only thing I can guarantee is that I will give my best to be selected. If I don't even try I will piss off from this forum.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
664 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
View attachment 5835

This the film? If you google operation leopard 1980, it comes up with a whole load of clips but no luck finding the full film so far.
That's the one SnafuSmite. As I say the section went to see it during instruction. I could hardly string a sentence together in French at the time. I'd being lying if I said I didn't know the words for bucket, broom,cleaning etc. One thing that I did understand was the A/C asked a black legionnaire how he felt about going to fight against blacks. the legionnaire answers, Oh, I'm not black mon Adjudant chef, I'm legionnaire. This brought a cheer from the whole of the cinema.

The actual cinema was located close to the back of the 2nd company's building. They had the film running every night that week so that all the sections could see it. During our evening free time off at the back of the company you would hear a cheer at roughly the same time each evening for a whole week.

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom