13 may 1978 starts another chapter in the Legion's history

We jumped at 200 meters in broad daylight and were getting fired at as we came down! More difficulties?? What do you think we were doing? Making tea? You fecking little prick!

a/ Hold your horses Mark, I think you misread what Loustic said... He actually admitted that the Kolwezi operation presented more difficulties than the Timbuktu one.
b/ In any case, no need to get into a “who's got the biggest oneâ€￾ type of contest... :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
(...) You know like me that a number of things do not appear in any official document, don't you? (...)
I do Rapace, and apart from all the good memories let's forget about the why's and why not's. I certainly wasn't consulted about which regiment should go, I was 14 at the time.

loustic

Banned
Banned
93e RA? Do you mean 93e RAM (Régiment d'artillerie de montagne)? In that case, no surprise they had no chutes, it's not an airborne regiment. The artillery regiment of the 11 Abn Brigade is 35e RAP (Régiment d'artillerie parachutiste).
Au temps pour moi. It was 93e RAM and of course they had no chutes since it is not an airborne regiment. We occasionally met and the contacts were good, but we had other tasks.

loustic

Banned
Banned

a/ Hold your horses Mark, I think you misread what Loustic said... He actually admitted that the Kolwezi operation presented more difficulties than the Timbuktu one.
b/ In any case, no need to get into a “who's got the biggest oneâ€￾ type of contest... :)
Thanks Rapace, you are right. We simply obeyed orders the way we had been trained to do it ! Without discussion ! We did not fight while jumping : the enemy was gone, but we had fights later in the desert. We simply did our job.

From the official Legion website :

"Dans le cadre du respect des accords de défense, de coopération ou d’assistance signés avec des pays étrangers, la France s’engage à intervenir hors de ses frontières. En 1978, elle dispose ainsi d’une force d’intervention de 20 000 hommes composée de la 11e division parachutiste (11e DP), de la 9e division d’infanterie de marine (9e DIMa.) et de forces navales et aériennes. Les régiments professionnels de la 11e DP sont alternativement mis en alerte, alerte baptisée "Guépard", afin d’être projetés sans préavis suivant les besoins." - Par Ministère de la défense/SGA/DMPA in Collection "Mémoire et Citoyenneté" n° 37

View attachment 5826 - Défilé du 2e REP à Lubumbashi

View attachment 5827 - Plan de Kolwezi

View attachment 5828 - Poste de guet en périphérie de Kolwezi

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member

No, I'm not holding my horses! And I don't give a shit who has the biggest balls! I'm sick and tired of the snide comments about Kolwezi! I know as a béret rouge you can't stand the fact that the 2e Rep did their job and did it well! As for the 8th para and us getting on?? There were never any real problems. So the good old REP (in your words) will continue. Oh and by the way have you ever asked anybody who was rescued in the operation how they felt? But of course our job as legionnaires is to die! As you Frenchman love to say!! Some of my mates paid that price! I love France as much as you do! But don't take us for fools!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
I do Rapace, and apart from all the good memories let's forget about the why's and why not's. I certainly wasn't consulted about which regiment should go, I was 14 at the time.
You have nothing to feel bad about Joseph! your story on the op was spot on! The only thing you missed was the drop zone! Elephant grass can be a bitch! Take care mate.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
From the official Legion website :

"Dans le cadre du respect des accords de défense, de coopération ou d’assistance signés avec des pays étrangers, la France s’engage à intervenir hors de ses frontières. En 1978, elle dispose ainsi d’une force d’intervention de 20 000 hommes composée de la 11e division parachutiste (11e DP), de la 9e division d’infanterie de marine (9e DIMa.) et de forces navales et aériennes. Les régiments professionnels de la 11e DP sont alternativement mis en alerte, alerte baptisée "Guépard", afin d’être projetés sans préavis suivant les besoins." - Par Ministère de la défense/SGA/DMPA in Collection "Mémoire et Citoyenneté" n° 37

View attachment 5826 - Défilé du 2e REP à Lubumbashi

View attachment 5827 - Plan de Kolwezi

View attachment 5828 - Poste de guet en périphérie de Kolwezi
Thank you!

Well Mark, I just tried to put a few historical facts right, but Loustic and I have said several times we had much respect for what the 2e REP did at Kolwezi. You did save civilian lives, that the rear guard elements of the Tigres katangais were ready to execute.
Apparently, the message didn't go through. It's a shame, but no big deal.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
Well Mark, I just tried to put a few historical facts right, but Loustic and I have said several times we had much respect for what the 2e REP did at Kolwezi. You did save civilian lives, that the rear guard elements of the Tigres katangais were ready to execute.
Apparently, the message didn't go through. It's a shame, but no big deal.
Oh the message got through! You gave me the Gallic version. I'm just giving you the Anglo version! But as you say no big deal!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Looks to me that if you want to be on some important pictures in the Legion you have to earn sword and wing on beret. And fack it I'm going for my wings!

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
SCH Daniel
CPL Arnold
2CL Clément
CPL Harte
CCH Allioui

RIP and a thought for those other legionnaires who suffured life changing wounds.
My last 5 months at Calvi was with the PM's (Jan- May 1994). The 2REP cemetery is a stones throw from the old fort. Part of our work was to make sure the graves were kept looking respectable and free of weeds. Sgt/Chef Daniel is buried there. There may be others killed at Kolwezi also laid to rest at the cemetery.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
My last 5 months at Calvi was with the PM's (Jan- May 1994). The 2REP cemetery is a stones throw from the old fort. Part of our work was to make sure the graves were keep looking respectable and free of weeds. Sgt/Chef Daniel is buried there. There may be others killed at Kolwezi also laid to rest at the cemetery.
Fort Maillebois, if I remember rightly Ossie. And the Sgt's mess is named after him. However It could be fort Charlet, both were practically side by side. In your era one held the regiments ammunitions and the other the PMs. One watched the back of the citadel from invaders from the sea and the other watched it's back from land invaders.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
There is French movie about this event “La Légion saute sur Kolweziâ€￾. I'm trying to find it. Did anyone watch it?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hi Dusaboss, I first saw it in Castel during instruction. The whole section was allowed to the cinema that night and afterwards we had a half hour in the foyer.
Another good book is by Pierre Sergent titled Kolwezi, but it's in French.

There is French movie about this event “La Légion saute sur Kolweziâ€￾. I'm trying to find it. Did anyone watch it?
Try YouTube, you may find it. The Director, Raoul Coutard was an Army cameraman during the Indochina war.

(...) Another good book is by Pierre Sergent titled Kolwezi, but it's in French.
The book by Pierre Sergent (a 1er BEP and 1er REP veteran) is actually also titled La Légion saute sur Kolwezi. It was published a few months after the operation.

Most viewed threads of the week