100 year anniversary article from 1931

Good article and many points are still valid nowadays. I liked this:

This is why the Legion in some ways resembles a militant religious order. Its members break with the past, take a new name, and neither know nor are known to their new brethren. (...) The legionary is bound by at least two of the monastic vows while he is in the Legion—poverty and obedience.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Good article and many points are still valid nowadays. I liked this:
This is why the Legion in some ways resembles a militant religious order. Its members break with the past, take a new name, and neither know nor are known to their new brethren. (...) The legionary is bound by at least two of the monastic vows while he is in the Legion—poverty and obedience.
Interesting. I like that Warrior-Monk aspect of Legion. Maybe I will read whole this article. Peter, thank you very much for sharing so many articles with us bad have to admit that I usually just skip them. :)

And Rapace, man, stop using that font please! It's hard to read and even harder to quote you! :)

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Interesthing. I like that Warrior-Monk aspect of Legion. Maybe I will read whole this article. Peter, thank you very much for sharing so many articles with us bad have to admit that I usually just skip them. :)

And Rapace, man, stop using that font please! It's hard to read and even harder to quote you! :)
I quite like the font, it adds a personal touch to his posts and I find it easier to read.
I remember hearing the Legion described as a little monastic in one of the numerous documentaries I watched about it, I regret being unable to remember which documentary I heard it from.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Sounds too ambiguë. ..légion étrangère and /or la légion du Christ (should of posted this on the catholique church thread...

Small capolar, what you think of? Mine or message from Cernunnos?

I think there is a religious aspect in servitude to FFL without many connections to Christianity or any other classic religion.

Believing in God or not, from some reason we (humans) are religious creatures. So, people who are atheists (or agnostic in my case) always look for something to replace that religious aspect of human personality.

FFl doing that job very well. Much better than most (if not all) other armies. There is something special, something mystical, even religious in French Foreign Legion. Not all, but some of Legionnaires are true monk-warriors and I have really high respect for those kind of guys.

For me It's similar to joining some special brotherhood, even like some cult or sect. And no, that idea of mine will not get shattered once I get in or get rejected.

I know what some forum members think after me saying this, but .... what can I do can't help them. It's free world (forum). I'm not a fake and I'm not faking about anything here. Unless I'm joking about something.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
If that is advice from ancien ... I'm soaping my arse already. ;)

anyway, why most guys her using word "arse" and not "ass"?

Most viewed threads of the week