a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 month .

alitokarev

Reaction score
Home Country
Iraq
Hello everyone .

I would like to thank you for this site , I have checked almost all the Threads the last 2 years and it has been very helpful , never bothered to create an account because all my main questions are already answered on the site ..

Anyway, I am originally from Iraq and living in Luxembourg since 2015, always wanted a military career. I have zero chance in Luxembourg's military and in the civilian life as well so I decided to try the Legion and going to Aubagne hopefully the end of December and I hope I will make it ..

I only have a small question :
does going at the end of the year means that all the tests will be delayed because of the Christmas and the new year ? As i read that will be a lot of celebrations but does it means no tests for like 1 or 2 weeks ?

Thanks again, any questions or tips would be great and I will make sure to write about my experience at Aubagne whether I make it or not.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hey man, best of luck.
All I know is that, if I remember correctly, one of the Greens on here said to go either before Christmas or after.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi Alitokarev. Funny to have a Russian sounding screen name, being from Iraq, but that's OK. If you've been living in Luxembourg since 2015, I guess you must be speaking some French. If yes, it's a plus. May I ask your age? Being from Iraq may be a disadvantage, for the same reasons I mentioned to the Egyptian wannabe in another thread. So be prepared to some ‘grilling’ during the Security interview.

alitokarev

Reaction score
Home Country
Iraq
Yes I can speak French, not perfect but it's above the basic I can understand well, read, write and speak normal conversations. I am 20 years old.
Yes I am aware of that , as i know it's usually because of the religion. I am an atheist and will mention that in these interviews , I am very motivated and ready for the grilling.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nothing is delayed, ever, without reason. Depending on when you go..

If you end up there from Dec 21-22, you can bet on not doing anything for a week. Things are in full swing and its xmas and all unimportant matters can and will wait..
You will be freezing your balls off in a makeshift storage unit on the otherside of the fence from the already existing Ev's. Bring lots of coins in this case, Because the coffee machine is just beyond the fence. Keep your ass inside that Storage unit deal, if you get sick, which is a high probability, you are gonna suffer, badly.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum. If you have been living in Luxembourg since 2015 without any major issues that should stand you in good stead. As Rapace says be prepared for a hard grilling. Don't take it personally. DCLXVI says to take lots of coins for the coffee machine. I'd say that is a must, a good hot cup of coffee while you are waiting for another two hours for lunch is a god send. Someone also mentioned toilet paper but that has been changed since another said that there is enough.

I'd say the end of December would be your best bet as Christmas will be over and those sick of taking down decorations will have gone home and the others will have been sieved out. Whatever you decide, good luck.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
To add to what Joe C Mentioned, if you want to smoothly go at the ‘regular’ pace of the Legion, go AFTER xmas.

Second, toilet paper.. No matter how much you bring with you, you don't get to take it "Inside". There is toilet paper on hand. It's best to stuff your pockets with Napkins at chow..

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Alitokarev,

Welcome to the forum and good luck. I like your attitude. Your quote; Ready for grilling !

Chas 99% need not apply.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Yes I can speak French, not perfect but it's above the basic I can understand well, read, write and speak normal conversations. I am 20 years old.
Yes I am aware of that , as i know it's usually because of the religion. I am an atheist and will mention that in these interviews , I am very motivated and ready for the grilling.
Your knowledge of the French language and your (young) age are playing in your favour. Again, the tricky point will be your coming from Iraq. Expect to have many questions on what you did when you were living in Iraq, what's your family background, why you ended up in Luxembourg, etc.

alitokarev

Reaction score
Home Country
Iraq
Your knowledge of the French language and your (young) age are playing in your favour. Again, the tricky point will be your coming from Iraq. Expect to have many questions on what you did when you were living in Iraq, what's your family background, why you ended up in Luxembourg, etc.
That's a good thing to know (relieving). The questions and interviews are not a problem, since I had many in Luxembourg about why I came here, etc.

alitokarev

Reaction score
Home Country
Iraq
Welcome to the forum. If you have been living in Luxembourg since 2015 without any major issues that should stand you in good stead. As Rapace says be prepared for a hard grilling. Don't take it personally. DCLXVI says to take lots of coins for the coffee machine. I'd say that is a must, a good hot cup of coffee while you are waiting for another two hours for lunch is a god send. Someone also mentioned toilet paper but that has been changed since another said that there is enough.

I'd say the end of December would be your best bet as Christmas will be over and those sick of taking down decorations will have gone home and the others will have been sieved out. Whatever you decide, good luck.

To add to what Joe C Mentioned, if you want to smoothly go at the ‘regular’ pace of the Legion, go AFTER xmas.

Second, toilet paper.. No matter how much you bring with you, you don't get to take it "Inside". There is toilet paper on hand. It's best to stuff your pockets with Napkins at chow..
Thank you both for the useful tips, I will do that .