a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp Raffalli, Calvi

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That rings a bell somewhere - but after all this time I'm beginning to doubt myself. What year (about)?

And what year did that REP Transall go down killing everybody? '81 - 82?
Did the Legion jump at Pau ?
Brit paras, others and SF did.
Just curious- thank you.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That rings a bell somewhere - but after all this time I'm beginning to doubt myself. What year (about)?

And what year did that REP Transall go down killing everybody? '81 - 82?

1982 In Djibouti 4cie think in all 27 legionnaires but about 34 in total, might be wrong think it was 84/85 dentist if I’m right his wife was watching through the large binoculars and what I do remember is they said you could hear him screaming as he was wrapped in both canopies. But like always memory is poor and some information was from 3rd parties at the time!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
1982 In Djibouti 4cie think in all 27 legionnaires but about 34 in total, might be wrong think it was 84/85 dentist if I’m right his wife was watching through the large binoculars and what I do remember is they said you could hear him screaming as he was wrapped in both canopies. But like always memory is poor and some information was from 3rd parties at the time!
Thanks Pap. Memories fade don't they...

Gallowglass

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Did the Legion jump at Pau ?
Brit paras, others and SF did.
Just curious- thank you.
The École des Troupes Aéroportées (ETAP), or School for Airborne Troops at Pau is for the French regulars, the 2e REP do their own jump training at Calvi. However according to Joel Struhers in his book Appel, Legionnaires do go to Pau for advanced jump training, e.g. HALO training. I'm guessing other specialized training like instructors courses may also be held at Pau.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Never happened to me either, but I did see a number of incidents in Headcorn (Kent UK) in the early 70's (pre Legion) where I got my BPA ticket. On static using "Double Ls" there was rarely a problem, but using the more advanced TU canopy, "roman candles" (as they were called then) were not that unusual.
Capewells were not 100% at that time, and coming down on a reserve with the main chute still flapping around and trying to deploy is definitely a sight to behold.
Kro, it was only a problem when it was one of those humid, sticky days with no wind as we got in Calvi, Djibouti and when we were in Rwanda. It rained like a monsoon, but very little wind over the capital Kigali...

Attachments

• 16325238296361165692360001.jpeg
    16325238296361165692360001.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1632523008218390663933001.jpeg
    1632523008218390663933001.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1632523157537995958862001.jpg
    1632523157537995958862001.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized_1621317913937375447110001_1621.jpeg
    Resized_1621317913937375447110001_1621.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210925_071643.jpg
    20210925_071643.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I remember on arrival at the promo, we were all shepherd into the cellule photo where kiwi Philips put on a video of a group of people diving out of a Cessna. Because there were so many people and the space so tight the guy shooting the film took off his parachute to make room.
Now I know that I don't have to point out the obvious, but what did impress (shock) me was when the guy realized that he'd forgotten his 'chute, you see the camera spinning from left to right all the way to the ground.

I'll never, to this day, understand why they showed us that video :unsure:.
Papillion, we were also told the story about the aspirant dentist. Then we were told that anyone who wanted to join to the SMPS could do so once they were in their companies :coffee::whistle:. No thanks.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
FdN, Paris...good luck
Some 44 years since I walked through the gates of the legion! My god how times flies!..why?..tired of the bloodshed and long arduous tours in Northern Ireland with the British army and disillusioned with civvy street I wanted something more..adventure ..Africa / Middle East anything but civilian life! The legion granted me that and some! Chad/Zaire/Gabon/central Afrique /and Djibouti..no regrettes!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Some 44 years since I walked through the gates of the legion! My god how times flies!..why?..tired of the bloodshed and long arduous tours in Northern Ireland with the British army and disillusioned with civvy street I wanted something more..adventure ..Africa / Middle East anything but civilian life! The legion granted me that and some! Chad/Zaire/Gabon/central Afrique /and Djibouti..no regrettes!
Hi Mark do you remember the yank “Bad Ass” 4cie think they were holed up in the small building on its own sniper my memory is really poor also a lad from Manchester who think at the time made one of the youngest Sergeants and the two British guys in the CRAPs well one was definitely a Brit as said before the site is good form my memory I have months and years of total lack of memory recall then you guys will post something that just lights a flame. I get fed up to my teeth with the trolls and all that Civi 💩 when guys come on like booking an adventure holiday in 9/12 or in a year or two like a bucket list, thanks for the photos and history stay safe.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Mark do you remember the yank “Bad Ass” 4cie think they were holed up in the small building on its own sniper my memory is really poor also a lad from Manchester who think at the time made one of the youngest Sergeants and the two British guys in the CRAPs well one was definitely a Brit as said before the site is good form my memory I have months and years of total lack of memory recall then you guys will post something that just lights a flame. I get fed up to my teeth with the trolls and all that Civi 💩 when guys come on like booking an adventure holiday in 9/12 or in a year or two like a bucket list, thanks for the photos and history stay safe.
You are not the only one who’s memory is going mate! I forgot to put down my last tour which was Lebanon august/ September 1982. Anyway les enfants terrible 😉anglais!.. the nut job American I remember was s/chef fanshaw mad as a hatter and twice as crazy! Rumor had it he played Russian roulette with a captured rebel to make him talk!.in no time at all the bugger was singing..I won’t say what happened to the rebel afterwards he was one of those that had taken part in slaughtering civilians.. the young sgt you talked about was Thompson. Did three years with 2para..joined the legion and made sgt in under 2years which was unheard of for that era..exceptions of course would be combat operations. The two lad in the CRAPS?..both brits..one was called bates a tough little bugger and a good mate..we called him lucky bates ..had couple of stringers with parachutes lucky for him his backup opened!.actually he was in the Simon Murry documentary with his mate Mike talking about operations. The one with the thick geordi accent is yours truly!😉 there was also a big South African from your company Jan or something had a fight with three sous officers put them all in the infirmary!..spent some time up in the citadel then got kicked out. as for the trolls? Bunch of wankers!! and not worth the air they breathe!. I gave the clown 🤡 😉..a piece of my mind on YouTube (apologies Joseph) keep the faith mate. and be well.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mark think the big south African was Steel if memory goes right he had dual nationality was accepted to do officers course for the Royal Marines but could not wait the length of time for intake so came over to us! Big Kiwi one punch from 3cie watched him drop a German in the foyer after a long night on the “K” and the Mafias started messing with each other😀
Don’t no about you but think in some ways it was a bit better BITD yes things have got modern but that old work hard play harder and if you mess up take it on the chin attitude was ok with me but hey things move on!
Trying to remember the name of the Wee Brit cross country runner that could run for fun and for the regiment (2REP) was it not Bates that held the record for the assault course if not it was the other! Cheers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I gave the clown 🤡 😉..a piece of my mind on YouTube (apologies Joseph) keep the faith mate. and be well.
Yes, I saw that, Mark. That is my YouTube channel to see if my video will pass the (now very strict) copyright rules. I replied by giving Raging bull's real Name Cpl Thomas Kant CCL and his regt. 1 REG.
Hi Mark think the big south African was Steel
By far the best swimmer in the regiment. He quit the REP, officially because of back trouble, but in reality it was to be on the continent to be closer to his wife who was in the regulars.
I think the Brit you're talking about was Steve Tunstall.
There was a Rhodesian, who broke the CRAP's 30 Kms, the record still stands today. I mentioned him in a video I did on IQ tests,
He's in the 1'30 ish.