a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping with tradition: Somebody tell us a joke

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Belgian would be Flemish, that is more like a Dutch dialect. I find Dutch (and Flemish) numbers to be similar to German. Same rules, similar pronunciation.

To stay on topic:
Some say that Dutch language was created when a drunken English sailor tried speaking German.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Belgian would be Flemish, that is more like a Dutch dialect. I find Dutch (and Flemish) numbers to be similar to German. Same rules, similar pronunciation.
Happily, in Belgium, there is less of this nonsense. No offense intended to L’académie! In Belgian French they are called the following:
70 = septante;
71 = septante et un;
72 septante deux, etc.
80 = quatre-vingt, Zut!

For some reason this is still how you say 80 in Belgian French.
90 = nonante;
91 = nonante et un;
92 = nonante deux, etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy

I speak Dutch and I assure you 100% that despite what Belgians and Dutch will say, Flemish and Dutch are 100% the same language! Just the accent changes, and a few words choices. But grammar and vocabulary overlap 99.9%.

To stay on topic:
Some say that Dutch language was created when a drunken English sailor tried speaking German.

The best definition of Dutch I ever heard is that it is "party german" LoL

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Happily, in Belgium, there is less of this nonsense. No offense intended to L’académie! In Belgian French they are called the following:
70 = septante;
71 = septante et un;
72 septante deux, etc.
80 = quatre-vingt, Zut!

For some reason this is still how you say 80 in Belgian French.
90 = nonante;
91 = nonante et un;
92 = nonante deux, etc.
Why not throw in a bit of "Swiss French" - "huitante" for 80 if you don't want to become an unwilling participant in an arithmetic class with the quatre-vingt nonsense?

Whatever happened to Esperanto ?

Anyway - According to a clever man living in googlecloud:

To count French in France from 0 to 99, you have to know 25 words and 5 rules.
To count in French from 0 to 99 in Belgium, you need to know 27 words and 3 rules.
To count in French in Switzerland from 0 to 99, you need to know 28 words and 2 rules.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Why not throw in a bit of "Swiss French" - "huitante" for 80 if you don't want to become an unwilling participant in an arithmetic class with the quatre-vingt nonsense?

Whatever happened to Esperanto ?

Anyway - According to a clever man living in googlecloud:

To count French in France from 0 to 99, you have to know 25 words and 5 rules.
To count in French from 0 to 99 in Belgium, you need to know 27 words and 3 rules.
To count in French in Switzerland from 0 to 99, you need to know 28 words and 2 rules.
Esperanto was a pirates language...multi influence
I speak some thing like that with a tinge of Créole...true story btw

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I speak Dutch and I assure you 100% that despite what Belgians and Dutch will say, Flemish and Dutch are 100% the same language! Just the accent changes, and a few words choices. But grammar and vocabulary overlap 99.9%.

Hence the expression, talking Double Dutch ?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Esperanto was a pirates language...multi influence
I speak some thing like that with a tinge of Créole...true story btw
Are you referring to the The Esperanto Opera Company's ripoff of Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance" performed at the British Esperanto Congress, Cheltenham, UK during Easter 1979 called The Esperanto Pirates?

If so, it's not an actual Pirate's language I think, they mainly just swapped out sane English words for Esperanto gobbledegook (and the whole thing overrun by 90 minutes it seems)

Anyway - Mi havas belan amason da kokosoj
True story btw.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Are you referring to the The Esperanto Opera Company's ripoff of Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance" performed at the British Esperanto Congress, Cheltenham, UK during Easter 1979 called The Esperanto Pirates?

If so, it's not an actual Pirate's language I think, they mainly just swapped out sane English words for Esperanto gobbledegook (and the whole thing overrun by 90 minutes it seems)

Anyway - Mi havas belan amason da kokosoj
True story btw.

Holy crap was esperanto such a big thing in Britain? Back home in Italy is like a thing that only few nerds know.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
So it's not just me... I'm looking at the latest posts trying to figure out what is going on... And I'm not even drunk...

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom