a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My current workout routine

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No please explain?
Most people I know who did Bar work, worked long hours.
The foyer closes at 21:00. The section d'alerte do the cleaning up. There is usually a corvée with the Cch to wash the glasses and and change the kegs. As I've said, the best paid barman in the world.
You have to remember that back in the day when the 13 were still in Djibouti, you were paid a fortune, what with it being overseas and all that. Plus you paid income tax there which was taken directly out of your pay. It wasn't much at all (an arrangement between the Djiboutien and French governments). Not only that, you were paid the 3 months of leave - CFC- Djibout salary.
Where else in the world would a bar man get that?

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Regarding fitness, in addition to what le Caporal posted, think agility. To run an obstacle course well you need overall strength. To climb up the side of a cliff you need to be lean and have good arm strength. When parts of your body start cramping from the cold your other parts should keep you going. Swimming muscles aren't the same as running muscles. Swimmers are usually longer muscled..and you should be able to hold your breath while doing stuff for at least 1 and 1/2 minutes without double extending. One of my personal training points was that if I punched you in the ribs I would break one. I also could take a punch. But if you want to be more capable, you need to be fast and accurate with your strikes with whatever part of your body and with whatever is at hand. Look around to see who the best are and try to match them. You can't do everything but you can be in the top 15% overall.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
He's already looking for a job on a building site, there's nothing to stop him working in the evening on the weekends in the pub. ;)
that reminds, when we were in Djibouti, there was a Caporal Chef who (from what we could gather) only used to draw glasses of beer in the foyer. We used to describe him as the best paid barman in the world.:)
Last time I landed in Djibouti from Addis (2017) I was run through the chef's immigration line, huddled up and stuck next to a waiting post at the steps of the airport in front of the taxi bandits and told to wait. Ten minutes later a mini van rocked up and two US Airman jumped out in BDU's. Asked me my name and if I was going to their camp (ex Legion camp) and I told them no, I am waiting for a pick up from Dolphin Services (Maritime PMSC based there), they laughed offered me a cold bottle of water and went on their way. I emailed the entire team and told them to say they are going with the yanks next time they land, otherwise customs can take a good 45 minutes in that little turd of a waiting area and the Chefs little customs office, 🙂 (y) I always enjoyed embarking in Djibouti, good diving, down town square and pizza bar on the corner opposite the bank is ok. Strange seeing US officers instead of French sitting at the tables enjoying scoff. Times change I guess Chef. Hey ho.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
think we are looking at advise well to advanced and more for semi or pro athletes.
Papillon,

Maybe, I should have offered more specifics to cast aside any ambiguity, but
what I am prescribing is fairly fundamental.

For running; easy runs and the occasional threshold runs. For weight training; compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench, pull-downs, shoulder press)
its my personal view you understand the base requirements for the physical to get in, so find a way to work on that so any day, time or week you can smash the bare minimum,
Yes, but one isn't only competing against the minimum requirements. One is also competing against other aspiring applicants, and unseen future challenges.

Additionally, I'd imagine the Legion is looking for those willing to go the extra mile.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Papillon,

For running; easy runs and the occasional threshold runs. For weight training; compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench, pull-downs, shoulder press)

Yes, but one isn't only competing against the minimum requirements. One is also competing against other aspiring applicants, and unseen future challenges.

Additionally, I'd imagine the Legion is looking for those willing to go the extra mile.
Hi up Buddy I’m not criticising what detail you wrote, I just struggle at times of guys saying they want to join the legion that are not in my eyes ( basic fit) don’t take offence as none intended.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I think your advise is spot on but please remember it’s the Legion and a Army you are looking at joining sometimes I think we are looking at advise well to advanced and more for semi or pro athletes.

You can bet your ass that what works for semi or pro athletes works also for the average Joe that wants to join the US Army or the Legion, principles are the same, it's the overall performance that is different. Most people that wants to improve their aerobic fitness do the mistake of running short distances, like 3 or 4 km at full gas. Well maybe they will improve their performance on such distance over time but I can assure you that their aerobic capacity stays the same. Pro athletes do an average of 80% of their training volume at talking pace. For them it's maybe faster than a 4 min/km, for average Joe is maybe walking speed, but the benefits are the same.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Papillon,

Going the extra mile that is the difference without doubt. And I know.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
The foyer closes at 21:00. The section d'alerte do the cleaning up. There is usually a corvée with the Cch to wash the glasses and and change the kegs. As I've said, the best paid barman in the world.
You have to remember that back in the day when the 13 were still in Djibouti, you were paid a fortune, what with it being overseas and all that. Plus you paid income tax there which was taken directly out of your pay. It wasn't much at all (an arrangement between the Djiboutien and French governments). Not only that, you were paid the 3 months of leave - CFC- Djibout salary.
Where else in the world would a bar man get that?
well if there are enough slaves to do the work :) then why not do it as a job. I suppose most people of that rank are just filling in their time before leaving.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi up Buddy I’m not criticising what detail you wrote, I just struggle at times of guys saying they want to join the legion that are not in my eyes ( basic fit) don’t take offence as none intended.
No offence was taken at all :)

I suppose I just misunderstood your previous comments.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You can bet your ass that what works for semi or pro athletes works also for the average Joe that wants to join the US Army or the Legion, principles are the same, it's the overall performance that is different. Most people that wants to improve their aerobic fitness do the mistake of running short distances, like 3 or 4 km at full gas. Well maybe they will improve their performance on such distance over time but I can assure you that their aerobic capacity stays the same. Pro athletes do an average of 80% of their training volume at talking pace. For them it's maybe faster than a 4 min/km, for average Joe is maybe walking speed, but the benefits are the same.
Never shut the door on education and knowledge suppose I was not natural at anythi
No offence was taken at all :)

I suppose I just misunderstood your previous comments.
no excuse I’m severely dyslexic if I don’t use my aids and software at times nothing makes sense but hey we’re sorted 👍

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
well if there are enough slaves to do the work :) then why not do it as a job. I suppose most people of that rank are just filling in their time before leaving.
Not to keen on the word slave, guys that have messed up in the day or weekend and having to do some crap jobs in my eyes are not slaves! Don't no how it works now but in jail over in Calvi we had this open tipping truck with 2 big ropes that you grabbed and sort of balanced at the end of the wagon going round doing the bins, at that time the jail uniform was old kit always to big and you had to tie them up at the waste, but you messed up and just got on with it, think my positive approach to if you can’t do the time don’t mess up was a savour but kid you not I did some hard jail. In Djibouti never forgetting getting told their was no Paris Match no news and he would break me, at the time it was murder but looking back I smile and think what a prick I was but hey the electric soup can change a man!
Best job was mess over near the train track they put the glasses and plates on a sort of belt that sort of passed via a bin area and sink for slops, half empty glasses of wine, bottles any green will tell you that’s seen when they get the booze out it used to flow I lasted 35min necked everything in a bottle and glass I thought fu-k it I was in jail only get bit more and a bust up with the turnkeys, was took back over the main road in a wheelbarrow and dumped at the steps to the big cell. Will tell the rest another time but I realise some of you might be more into war and tactics I’m sort of old reflecting on my achievements and why I kept on messing up till in my mid 30s
I also no to some of our older members I am quite young reflecting 😂

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Not to keen on the word slave, guys that have messed up in the day or weekend and having to do some crap jobs in my eyes are not slaves! Don't no how it works now but in jail over in Calvi we had this open tipping truck with 2 big ropes that you grabbed and sort of balanced at the end of the wagon going round doing the bins, at that time the jail uniform was old kit always to big and you had to tie them up at the waste, but you messed up and just got on with it, think my positive approach to if you can’t do the time don’t mess up was a savour but kid you not I did some hard jail. In Djibouti never forgetting getting told their was no Paris Match no news and he would break me, at the time it was murder but looking back I smile and think what a prick I was but hey the electric soup can change a man!
Best job was mess over near the train track they put the glasses and plates on a sort of belt that sort of passed via a bin area and sink for slops, half empty glasses of wine, bottles any green will tell you that’s seen when they get the booze out it used to flow I lasted 35min necked everything in a bottle and glass I thought fu-k it I was in jail only get bit more and a bust up with the turnkeys, was took back over the main road in a wheelbarrow and dumped at the steps to the big cell. Will tell the rest another time but I realise some of you might be more into war and tactics I’m sort of old reflecting on my achievements and why I kept on messing up till in my mid 30s
I also no to some of our older members I am quite young reflecting 😂
Slaves was a joke but your Story made me laugh. Yes you have to tell us more. A wheelbarrow honestly papilon 🙈

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Because she is a regular visiter to the forum:

Today, 21 October 1854 Florence Nightingale with a staff of 38 nurses is sent to the Crimean War.
florence-nightingale.jpg

I think She would have liked that.