a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If you put it of any longer you could do 3 years in the Irish Guard’s then be fit and healthy for the Legion and be paid and have military experience, if your prepared to waste 12 months why not? Must be me don’t take it personal but think back in the day we saw the Legion as a bolt hole or a saviour now it looks more like folks booking a safari but whatever the outcome stay safe and we have had some good Irish lads in the Legion and I’m certain their still is.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
If you put it of any longer you could do 3 years in the Irish Guard’s then be fit and healthy for the Legion and be paid and have military experience, if your prepared to waste 12 months why not? Must be me don’t take it personal but think back in the day we saw the Legion as a bolt hole or a saviour now it looks more like folks booking a safari but whatever the outcome stay safe and we have had some good Irish lads in the Legion and I’m certain their still is.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
I want to be fit enough where I'm not one of the weakest physically. Plus I need some more life experience! Have none to state in the interview LOL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I want to be fit enough where I'm not one of the weakest physically. Plus I need some more life experience! Have none to state in the interview LOL
I agree with you, bar man is a great job, and I've always appreciated you, but it's not preparation for the legion.:oops: Please don't tell me that there are no laboring jobs going around your neck of the woods.
Once you finished a hard days graft, then you can go on a run. Or get up an hour earlier out of that nice cozy warm bed (especially during the winter) you can then say that you are ready to try out for the legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
This is great advice - and so is Joe's above.

Nobody gives a f@ck about photoshoot muscles made of whey powder. They're OK for striptease artists but not a lot of good for this job.

I think all of us ex-cons will confirm that it's often the smallest, wiriest, ugliest ones that are the first over the top and the best guys to have around when the sh@t hits the fan.

Get generally fit, maximise and improve whatever upper body strength you have with reasonable weight training +pull ups/push ups, and run as much as possible to improve stamina. You'll do a lot of running in Castel and in your first couple of years (depending on your regiment).

On a muddy assault course you'll need good thigh strength for example to carry dead weight (a wet sand bag in my time), and decent upper body strength to get over / under the obstacles.

If you don't have access to a gym fill a rucksack up with bricks and keep doing squats until your thighs are on fire and it makes you cry for your mother. Every day gets easier at your age. It's all in the head.

The outcome of the physical training/tests in Castel will have a major impact on what regiment you get sent to (although many other factors are taken into consideration including your general attitude).
It's always the little spotty sapper or some crap hat that blows you away when SHTF, never said boo to a Goose beforehand and then boom, blows you away with his performance when it counts. Section signallers are also sneaky beaky warriors and often shine come to think of it but make a shite brew, whats that all about?. Hey ho.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I agree with you, bar man is a great job, and I've always appreciated you, but it's not preparation for the legion.:oops: Please don't tell me that there are no laboring jobs going around your neck of the woods.
Once you finished a hard days graft, then you can go on a run. Or get up an hour earlier out of that nice cozy warm bed (especially during the winter) you can then say that you are ready to try out for the legion.
Times might have changed Chef but it was almost compulsory for all young paddy lads to do 1 of 2 things. 1. Get over to the UK or Germany and get on a well paying site labouring or on the tools if they knew the job or 2. bugger off to Madrid and join the Legion with the rest of their Wild Geese brethren. Might be showing the age there. Mmm. Does Espana even take Irish lads any more?. Who knows....... Times, them are a changing.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Times might have changed Chef but it was almost compulsory for all young paddy lads to do 1 of 2 things. 1. Get over to the UK or Germany and get on a well paying site labouring or on the tools if they knew the job or 2. bugger off to Madrid and join the Legion with the rest of their Wild Geese brethren. Might be showing the age there. Mmm. Does Espana even take Irish lads any more?. Who knows....... Times, them are a changing.
No, for the Spanish legion. It was my back up plan when i joined. Nowadays they only take a few Spanish speakers from south America. I knew someone who did his three years with them before joining the French. He was a Brit.
I won't say what he said about them (nothing bad) but it would be second hand.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Perhaps your right
I will ask around. There is none being advertised but I'm sure someone will know one going

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Big difference between the Spanish Legion and the French buddy, but what I heard they do spend a lot of time road building in Spain😀

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Half me relatives done the same!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Le petit caporal,

Lean, mean, and green killing machine trained in the controlled application of maximum violence.:unsure:

In my dreams- now decrepitude, grouchiness and having to pee too often are taking charge. You have to laugh at it.;)

Where and what has happened to the Forum Mascot- Dusaboss ? Has he sneaked off and joined up ?

All the best- Chas.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I knew someone who did his three years with them before joining the French. He was a Brit.
Likewise Joe. I knew a guy too (Diago - S. American I think) who did his time there before joining up. My memory is fading now but as Pap says it seemed to be more general skivvy work than soldiering.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's what my mate told me too. He said that he was on an island, I forget which, a lot of kiff floating around.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That's what my mate told me too. He said that he was on an island, I forget which, a lot of kiff floating around.
Yes the kiff rings a bell too. I think it was Cpl Ch Garcia (serious drinking partner) that was the expert on that subject.
Anyway - it's not the same and that's all that matters.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Likewise Joe. I knew a guy too (Diago - S. American I think) who did his time there before joining up. My memory is fading now but as Pap says it seemed to be more general skivvy work than soldiering.
Their was a guy in the REP that was ex Spanish Legion if memory is correct did not rate it one bit
Still think road building and general Spanish jobs that was cheap labour just not much soldiering and a uniform like a Christmas pantomime queen

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This is a half decent read for any US guys, and paints a fairly balanced picture I think for most wanabees. It's not that old - 3/4 years so still valid.

Last edited: