a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hello all,
I have joined the forum because I intend to join the Legion within the next 12 months. I need to physically prepare and bulk up slightly in this time frame. I hope to get some valuable info from this site.
I'm also an Irishman who has a keen interest in most sports.
Thanks,
Anglophone

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Paddy,

Welcome to Joe's place. Free beer and burgers (if Papillon hasn't got there first).

For guys here to get a grip on your chances and offer advice:
age?
height?
weight?
teeth?
physical injuries?
main motivation for wanting to join?

You'll find most of the guys on here hard on occasion but ultimately realistic and helpful.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi Paddy,

Welcome to Joe's place. Free beer and burgers (if Papillon hasn't got there first).

age?
height?
weight?
teeth?
physical injuries?

You'll find most of the guys on here hard on occasion but ultimately realistic and helpful.

Hi Paddy,

age?
height?
weight?
teeth?
physical injuries?

I'm 19 5'10 62kg and In need of fillings. I have some minor cavities and need them filled before I make the journey. Other than that I'm in good condition

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm 19 5'10 62kg and In need of fillings. I have some minor cavities and need them filled before I make the journey. Other than that I'm in good condition
OK.

Being beefy is not all it's made out to be. Can you do at least 7 pull ups with that weight?

And - what's the motivation to join?

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
OK.

Being beefy is not all it's made out to be. Can you do at least 7 pull ups with that weight?

And - what's the motivation to join?
I'm able to do 6 but I'm still training for it. I want to join the Legion because I want to do something different in my life. Since a young age I had a keen interest in the legion and I still do now. Most of my friends have went off to college but that's not for me.

Gallowglass

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Welcome to the forum Anglophone20. At 5'10" and 62kg (136.7lbs) you sound more beanpole than beefy to me. Work on your upper body strength so you can do at least 10 pull ups with ease. Make sure your form is correct, search YouTube for videos of proper Legion pull ups, there are plenty out there (basically an over hand grip and arms to full extension between pull ups). You'll also need to work on speed and stamina, lots of running, the Legion loves running and marching.

Set yourself a firm target date for early Spring 2022, that's more than enough time to get in shape. When the time comes, just go, no excuses or postponements get on the ferry at Rosslare and get yourself to France.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Welcome to the forum Anglophone20. At 5'10" and 62kg (136.7lbs) you sound more beanpole than beefy to me. Work on your upper body strength so you can do at least 10 pull ups with ease. Make sure your form is correct, search YouTube for videos of proper Legion pull ups, there are plenty out there (basically an over hand grip and arms to full extension between pull ups). You'll also need to work on speed and stamina, lots of running, the Legion loves running and marching.

Set yourself a firm target date for early Spring 2022, that's more than enough time to get in shape. When the time comes, just go, no excuses or postponements get on the ferry at Rosslare and get yourself to France.
I'm aiming to bulk more is my main thing. The rest I'm training away also. Thanks for the info.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Welcome Anglophone, we salut you
Stay slim and triim, at least for the sélection process...
Bulk, you will carry for sure once you are enlisted
Listen to me, sports man !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Around 75/78 kilo would be good for your height, and also like you say at present weight to height your quite slim, good luck with it all, many things can change in a person’s life in 12 months my advise is once you feel ready go just go for it, but this is your journey so best of luck with your preparation and head for the REP 😀

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Anglophone, and welcome to the forum.
As Papillon quite rightly points out, work on stamina. Keep away from the flavored flour (the protein powder drinks) it's got to be all natural.
Are you in any clubs, other than your local running club I mean ;)? You could perhaps join a boxing club.
What is your job (talking generally as I know that you read the Miranda warning). You should try out laboring on a building site, it beats washing pots in your local creasy spoon or just sitting at home "preparing yourself mentally". It will also get you used to working outdoors.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi Anglophone, and welcome to the forum.
As Papillon quite rightly points out, work on stamina. Keep away from the flavored flour (the protein powder drinks) it's got to be all natural.
Are you in any clubs, other than your local running club I mean ;)? You could perhaps join a boxing club.
What is your job (talking generally as I know that you read the Miranda warning). You should try out laboring on a building site, it beats washing pots in your local creasy spoon or just sitting at home "preparing yourself mentally". It will also get you used to working outdoors.
Thanks Joe. I play soccer and gaa atm. I also go to the gym 3 times a week. I'm working in a pub at the moment also!

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hello all,
I have joined the forum because I intend to join the Legion within the next 12 months. I need to physically prepare and bulk up slightly in this time frame. I hope to get some valuable info from this site.
I'm also an Irishman who has a keen interest in most sports.
Thanks,
Anglophone
Welcome china, listen to the lads they will keep you on track, Chef's suggestion of a building site is a cracker, get fit, get paid and work on your banter. ATB. Brian.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Angophone20,

Take heed from those in Green and the tip from Joe the Mod.
He knows a lot about fitness especially for the FFL.
He also suffered the rigours of earning a coveted green beret with the RM Cdos.
Bulk out a bit and don't worry about being wiry and in reality be fit for your size.
Finally when it comes to the crunch it is mind over matter and sheer determination.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome china, listen to the lads they will keep you on track, Chef's suggestion of a building site is a cracker, get fit, get paid and work on your banter. ATB. Brian.
This is great advice - and so is Joe's above.

Nobody gives a f@ck about photoshoot muscles made of whey powder. They're OK for striptease artists but not a lot of good for this job.

I think all of us ex-cons will confirm that it's often the smallest, wiriest, ugliest ones that are the first over the top and the best guys to have around when the sh@t hits the fan.

Get generally fit, maximise and improve whatever upper body strength you have with reasonable weight training +pull ups/push ups, and run as much as possible to improve stamina. You'll do a lot of running in Castel and in your first couple of years (depending on your regiment).

On a muddy assault course you'll need good thigh strength for example to carry dead weight (a wet sand bag in my time), and decent upper body strength to get over / under the obstacles.

If you don't have access to a gym fill a rucksack up with bricks and keep doing squats until your thighs are on fire and it makes you cry for your mother. Every day gets easier at your age. It's all in the head.

The outcome of the physical training/tests in Castel will have a major impact on what regiment you get sent to (although many other factors are taken into consideration including your general attitude).

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
This is great advice - and so is Joe's above.

Nobody gives a f@ck about photoshoot muscles made of whey powder. They're OK for striptease artists but not a lot of good for this job.

I think all of us ex-cons will confirm that it's often the smallest, wiriest, ugliest ones that are the first over the top and the best guys to have around when the sh@t hits the fan.

Get generally fit, maximise and improve whatever upper body strength you have with reasonable weight training +pull ups/push ups, and run as much as possible to improve stamina. You'll do a lot of running in Castel and in your first couple of years (depending on your regiment).

On a muddy assault course you'll need good thigh strength for example to carry dead weight (a wet sand bag in my time), and decent upper body strength to get over / under the obstacles.

If you don't have access to a gym fill a rucksack up with bricks and keep doing squats until your thighs are on fire and it makes you cry for your mother. Every day gets easier at your age. It's all in the head.

The outcome of the physical training/tests in Castel will have a major impact on what regiment you get sent to (although many other factors are taken into consideration including your general attitude).
Thanks, will do that.