a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Good responses to question of why you wanted to join the legion?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you have children do you care about them being involved in a terrorist attack? I am not against other cultures as i work with many different people but you get my point.
No, i do not get your point !
My children will commit a terroristes attack ?
I hardly think so
Could any of my children be killed by a terroristes attack ?
Aint me who decides random

Reaction score
Home Country
England
No, i do not get your point !
My children will commit a terroristes attack ?
OK maybe you did not understand. Involved as a victim not as a terrorist. A lot of innocent people die in terrorist attacks.
Would you not agree?

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Just a stastic tucked away inside an excel box some where
while i respect every opinion i do not see a life as a statistic. I can only assume you have never really had anything to do with people in a severe emergency situation.
Despite your service in the army i find your answers very illogical. would you think the same about your comrades?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
while i respect every opinion i do not see a life as a statistic. I can only assume you have never really had anything to do with people in a severe emergency situation.
Despite your service in the army i find your answers very illogical. would you think the same about your comrades?
He can't talk at the moment because of gag reflex so I'll speak for him.
Go f@ck yourself.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
He can't talk at the moment because of gag reflex so I'll speak for him.
Go f@ck yourself.
I find it amusing that you wrote about spiders in the jungle but a woman makes you crack.
I saw a Film about the sas and they actually use women to break a mans mind.
You really are a weak man.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I find it amusing that you wrote about spiders in the jungle but a woman makes you crack.
I saw a Film about the sas and they actually use women to break a mans mind.
You really are a weak man.
I'm lost for words sweetheart. You're right. I need a really strong woman to heal me.
Can I buy one of those on eBay?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I have one in my cellar thats hardly been used
Positive points are never talks back and does not critis my size
Négative points : dose not know how to Cook or do the washing up

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I have one in my cellar thats hardly been used
Positive points are never talks back and does not critis my size
Négative points : dose not know how to Cook or do the washing up
Hahaha... You're totally f@cked LPC.
I'll buy it though... You got the pump too?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Kronenberg can help you
Shirly 🤭
Scoff as much as you like Pocahontas, but LPC is clearly a modern man using latest technologies.

The usual modus operandi for 2REI guys was to keep road kill in the form of dead putes in their basement for future use scooped up along the Nimes - Arles road.

Necrophilia is such a high-maintenance activity though to stop the neighbours complaining about the flies and the smell, so I don't blame LPC for taking the easy way out with this one.

Last edited:

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Make no mistake, Russia and China still want their day in the sun as the world's super power. And things will absolutely come to a head at some point. Add to that the instability of the middle east becoming a terrorist playground again.

Fun times are ahead.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Scoff as much as you like Pocahontas, but LPC is clearly a modern man using latest technologies.

The usual modus operandi for 2REI guys was to keep road kill in the form of dead putes in their basement for future use scooped up along the Nimes - Arles road.

Necrophilia is such a high-maintenance activity though to stop the neighbours complaining about the flies and the smell, so I don't blame LPC for taking the easy way out with this one.
can i ask you what your career is or was? Did you join the Legion because of Low Education and thus no job chances in the early 80s ?
I am not saying all of the Foreign Legion are of low educational standards as i have read many famous people joined for whatever reasons.
you seem to be a classic case of a man who has failed in life and blames everyone else !

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You're a nosy little f@cker aren't you?

On this occasion I will however concede if only to shut you up and prove to you what a miserable judge of character you are.

I was a computer programmer trained in the 70s in Palo Alto by Commodore. I was one of a handful of young guys that had those skills at the time. Commodore sent me to the Gulf in the 70s to help set up operations there (Ajman, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi mainly) . The Gulf led to Pakistan that led to Bahrain that led to Cypress that led to Geneva that led to Costa Rica - and that's the short story. I eventually got fed up living on a plane and ended up in Milan to meet an old Italian girlfriend I had met on a Mediterranean cruise going out of Piraeus a couple of years earlier.
One Wednesday night I was bored and called an old friend in Luton I had worked with in the Gulf and invited him over to Milan for the weekend. We decided to take the night train from Milan to Marseille on the Friday - for no particular reason other than to see Marseille (famous in films at the time).
We arrived at St Charles about 8am from memory and went down to the port for breakfast. From there we headed up the port to see what looked like an old fortress.
On arrival a guy with a white kepi was standing there who told us it was the FFL.
I had nothing better to do, so I gave my friend my gear and walked through the gates.
That's why and how I joined.
I'm still an electronics engineer and hardware coder and I run 3 companies in that field. It's probable that you use at least one of my inventions on a daily basis. My speciality is age-related, mental health, and physical disability health care.

Right - that's my cock on the table.

Time for you to drop your drawers and let me see your muff. I'm not expecting much to be honest, but I hope it looks something like an unkempt jungle. Nothing worse than a mature woman having a fudd that looks like a 13 year old pubescent.

Have a good life.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I was a computer programmer trained in the 70s in Palo Alto by Commodore. I was one of a handful of young guys that had those skills at the time. Commodore sent me to the Gulf in the 70s to help set up operations there (Ajman, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi mainly) . The Gulf led to Pakistan that led to Bahrain that led to Cypress that led to Geneva that led to Costa Rica - and that's the short story. I eventually got fed up living on a plane and ended up in Milan to meet an old Italian girlfriend I had met on a Mediterranean cruise going out of Piraeus a couple of years earlier.
One Wednesday night I was bored and called an old friend in Luton I had worked with in the Gulf and invited him over to Milan for the weekend. We decided to take the night train from Milan to Marseille on the Friday - for no particular reason other than to see Marseille (famous in films at the time).
We arrived at St Charles about 8am from memory and went down to the port for breakfast. From there we headed up the port to see what looked like an old fortress.
On arrival a guy with a white kepi was standing there who told us it was the FFL.
I had nothing better to do, so I gave my friend my gear and walked through the gates.
That's why and how I joined.
I'm still an electronics engineer and hardware coder and I run 3 companies in that field. It's probable that you use at least one of my inventions on a daily basis. My speciality is age-related, mental health, and physical disability health care.

Right - that's my cock on the table.

Ok THAT, is a good story. Thumbs up. Curious to hear how you managed to convince the selection committee since it sounds like you had a couple of alternatives outside of the FFL.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
...asking for a friend of course
The Legion is not full of scallywags running from something or another. What the BSLE wants to see is motivation, and as Joe has said in many posts, be convinced that you will serve at least 5 years without being too much of an arsehole or doing a runner.

Those "clean" guys that walk in like me (and many others I know) did have other career choices and other options, and that counts quite heavily towards "voluntary motivation" I guess. It's also true of course that somebody we have spoken about on here for example that had little option but the Legion due to the law being on his shoulder would also be seen as "highly motivated" to never want to leave (or until the statute of limitation had run its course).

That's what makes the Legion - colours, beliefs and customs of all kinds mixed in with thugs and vicars. It somehow all balances out.

If you're fairly fit, of average intelligence and most of all highly motivated there is a decent chance of passing rouge in my opinion. I say that with some degree of confidence for reasons I may explain one day.

Last edited: