a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Flying out in December

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
... see if I could get some feedback.
One thing I don't see noted along with the rope climbing and fun runs is swimming. You may have your swimming skills tested somewhere along the way so if you can swim well it will be to your advantage. This dovetails into your ability to shoot well with whatever long barrel rifle you may be using. Listen carefully while practicing on the range and apply your learning. If you are able to control your breathing, and swimming will definitely help in this regard, you will be able to relax and squeeze off accurate shots quickly better than the average EV. Imagine a balloon flopping in the wind about 450 metres away without a scope. Knowing your rifle, being able to focus (double entendre), controlling your breathing while relaxed should allow you to get off 3 accurate shots within 5 seconds. You may then need to run like hell out of there so whatever you shoot at make sure you don't miss.
As an aside, learn to throw a knife or other pointy object accurately. It's never a good idea to throw such things but it helps to know how. If you're ever in a situation where you bump into a Spetsnaz or equivalently trained adversary how do you think you would fare..one on one, two on one...etc.. And learn some basic anatomy..articulation, nerves, arteries etc...if you hit someone, it should be done quickly and properly so that you need not wonder about the results of your handiwork.
Final feedback, if you make it through your five years or more you won't be the same person....for better or worse is up to you. Just for fun, look up Service Action. And if you ever have the chance to observe such people or better yet look them directly in the eyes you may notice something a little different relative to ordinary folks.

Last edited:

oldbreed

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am almost 80 year old was US Marine instructor ,served many years as a contract soldier ,have train many men it dedication & desire
start out slow work up to 5 mile runs do all known to YOU, military work outs,if possible work construction I hate the gym ,I like to get paid for my work out
I work as a mason tender walk the high Iron pulling up 100 pound beams is real fun a bicep builder ,my fitness over the years & throat cancer prostate cancer ,lung cancsr & great weight reduction ,equip this Jar head to survive & live in pussy whip paradise with young hard body hotty of course now I get worn out go to head !
PS /run 100 yard wind sprints as hard & fast as you can many when you collapse ??
do not get gas by the ruskies ,they are nasty
I love 2 engine air craft when one engine quits the other get you to the crash site on time

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am almost 80 year old was US Marine instructor ,served many years as a contract soldier ,have train many men it dedication & desire
start out slow work up to 5 mile runs do all known to YOU, military work outs,if possible work construction I hate the gym ,I like to get paid for my work out
I work as a mason tender walk the high Iron pulling up 100 pound beams is real fun a bicep builder ,my fitness over the years & throat cancer prostate cancer ,lung cancsr & great weight reduction ,equip this Jar head to survive & live in pussy whip paradise with young hard body hotty of course now I get worn out go to head !
PS /run 100 yard wind sprints as hard & fast as you can many when you collapse ??
I love 2 engine air craft when one engine quits the other get you to the crash site on time
Oldbreed- good to see you alive and kicking. I am 82 +.
After my service, I worked in security for the Wackenhut Corp - Coral Gables.
Stay a hard charger.
Per Mare per Terram- Semper Fidelis.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I thought at first your name was old 🍺 but no I was wrong!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the add again haha. My computer decided it wanted to corrupt itself and I had nothing backed up on it so lost that email of the original account. This account is now linked to a personal email with all the passwords of it and this site wrote down in my travel book as well as my phone so no more getting locked out.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Thanks for adding me!
I plan to fly over this December I am 21 from the USA and in good physical shape of course training everyday until I can go. If anyone wonders why I just wouldn't join the us military it is because I ruined my credit when I was younger. yes that doesn't necessarily mean I can't join but I couldn't join the rangers our regular parachute regiment doesn't have the action I was after and that was a dream since I was a kid. My dad a ex ranger jokingly said I could go to the other side of the world and join this parachute regiment that would jump into wars all over the world when I asked the name he couldn't remember. The funny thing is I was filling out entry with another branch of our military and it asked specifically if I had ever served or tried to join the FFL. Then it clicked after some research that these were the men my father had spoken of. I was instantly amazed by the strict code and how any man could join and start pretty much a new life if they meet the standards. I seek action or just to be in a change of setting I don't like living the normal life where I wake up eat work eat sleep repeat. I guess that is what brings me here to ask these questions before I go. To me joining the legion means a better life not for the pay or for the training but just a better mental well being feeling like I would be part of a home that is no ones before they joined, and interacting with all of the different nationalities feels like it would be a amazing experience.

1 I have studied the ranks ,traditions, and basic vocabulary is there anything specific that I should learn to better my chances ?

2 I have got my first dose of the covid vaccine and will record the second dose along with the vile and card would this be sufficient enough for any authorities that may question the authenticity of my vaccine card ? or furthermore has anyone had a problem with just having a vaccine card ?

3 I broke my leg as a child and have never had any complications I can run, jump, swim fine. I had external pins instead of internal so no hardware in my leg I just have scars. I do have papers that I was cleared after surgery and physical therapy and also a current physical. Would this stop me from being able to getting in the 2e REP ?

Hopefully this isn't to much for a first post I just hope I could share my perspective on it and see if I could get some feedback.
Good luck Jack, the older Legionnaires can sort you out, no worries. You will learn a lot here I think. Good luck.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Kro, that would not be a s=certain Sgt Shipley ex RM 3 REI circa '87 would it?
A big, non-nonsense Yorkshireman? If so that's the one.

I knew him 6 years earlier - so if he was still Sgt in 87 I can only guess it was the funny but tragic "Browning incident" that stopped further promo for a while.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi, just wanted to give everyone a update my cheap flight was cancelled and kind of glad really I guess I will spend this last Christmas with the little family I do have left. With that being said I am helping my sister get ready for college as well since I will be gone before she is set to leave. I now have all required documents, the money, and the language to get to there. I will continue to work out everyday I am 6"1 (185cm) and down to 195lbs (88.50kg) I believe I could be more lean and that this would put me in a better position to be selected so I will be working on that as well.

Now I will be going in January or February I hate to go back on my word of when I was set to go ,but personally for me this is a one shot one opportunity I don't want to f*** it up and would rather get in the first time around. I will be 22 by this time and really feel like these 5 years are the next chapter I need in my life.
I hope anyone that was following this thread understands.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think I need to come to terms with the modern day! Really get the understanding now with recovering from my neck surgery and spending to much time on the Form that things have certainly changed, when I say changed the reasons guys want to try and join I get the impression that most potential recruits /volunteers/ ev have so many others choices in their life, it’s like me sat in a remote Scottish island seeing a job advert in London about 350 miles a lot of hassle boat, train car to attend interview and NOT get the job! To do the trip with no knowledge of the out come and getting the job against others that might have a better cv/experience and more to offer I decide not to take the gamble keep my money and look for another job or opportunity.
So when I read stuff and reasons for guys wanting to join it’s more about elevating their life position in the form of wages/money getting French citizenship personal security etc! That’s alien to me and I would imagine other greens our motivation was so very different in my case it was to avoid incarceration even though as I well new I had a self destruct button and chances I would end up just in the 💩 again, but the one thing that I had to my advantage was this and I say this sincerely and honesty! I thought if you were mad/daft/desperate to join the Legion they would snap your hand off it was only once I got their that I realised yes they will consider taking anyone bare a few offences that are a NONO, far from it, they weed out as best they can the 💩 from the potential cream and hope that you will fulfil you 5 year contract naturally thay get it wrong at times hence my reference in past posts of Russian Roulette but motivation was different BITD very unlike now so more 🐈‍⬛ turning up at the Door not necessary the material to make a good soldier but their motivation is more about the benefits a Legionnaire could possibly get post contract just a shame you have to Man up to be a soldier to get them bet that is a right pain!
This will not apply to everyone but a very good percentage from where I’m looking like 99.8%

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Think I need to come to terms with the modern day! Really get the understanding now with recovering from my neck surgery and spending to much time on the Form that things have certainly changed, when I say changed the reasons guys want to try and join I get the impression that most potential recruits /volunteers/ ev have so many others choices in their life, it’s like me sat in a remote Scottish island seeing a job advert in London about 350 miles a lot of hassle boat, train car to attend interview and NOT get the job! To do the trip with no knowledge of the out come and getting the job against others that might have a better cv/experience and more to offer I decide not to take the gamble keep my money and look for another job or opportunity.
So when I read stuff and reasons for guys wanting to join it’s more about elevating their life position in the form of wages/money getting French citizenship personal security etc! That’s alien to me and I would imagine other greens our motivation was so very different in my case it was to avoid incarceration even though as I well new I had a self destruct button and chances I would end up just in the 💩 again, but the one thing that I had to my advantage was this and I say this sincerely and honesty! I thought if you were mad/daft/desperate to join the Legion they would snap your hand off it was only once I got their that I realised yes they will consider taking anyone bare a few offences that are a NONO, far from it, they weed out as best they can the 💩 from the potential cream and hope that you will fulfil you 5 year contract naturally thay get it wrong at times hence my reference in past posts of Russian Roulette but motivation was different BITD very unlike now so more 🐈‍⬛ turning up at the Door not necessary the material to make a good soldier but their motivation is more about the benefits a Legionnaire could possibly get post contract just a shame you have to Man up to be a soldier to get them bet that is a right pain!
This will not apply to everyone but a very good percentage from where I’m looking like 99.8%
Thanks for that papillon. I guess for me personally it is just more or less the adventure. Doing something that not many others will ever do intrigues me. Hell completing a 5 year contract would make me feel more accomplished and surely help me out more in life then my normal job or even making it a career like many of you have done would give me a purpose in life. Obtaining dual citizenship and speaking French really does open up a hell of a lot of job opportunities from what I've seen so I don't think I'm making a bad choice either way. I really am excited and nervous to see it though but I'm sure everyone that goes is.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that papillon. I guess for me personally it is just more or less the adventure. Doing something that not many others will ever do intrigues me. Hell completing a 5 year contract would make me feel more accomplished and surely help me out more in life then my normal job or even making it a career like many of you have done would give me a purpose in life. Obtaining dual citizenship and speaking French really does open up a hell of a lot of job opportunities from what I've seen so I don't think I'm making a bad choice either way. I really am excited and nervous to see it though but I'm sure everyone that goes is.
Only you no yourself but don’t put all your eggs in one basket always have a plan B.
I don’t think citizenship is that easy but Joe or others are more informed, I still got nicked on my one year passport when I got back to the U.K. and was driven from Dover to London and put up in front of Bow St court then next morning😂 it was years out of date. But make sure your in a position to get in via being good at the initial tests and interviews and medical still think your motivation is the cherry just make certain you can eat all the cake.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not sure if anyone reading this in the future might need some motivation but I was around 230lbs at the beginning of the year (Was very athletic throughout highschool and never really weighted over 190 until I started working on the road) I'm now back down to 190lbs just eating and drinking right and working out like a dog. If you get the mindset to join the Legion just keep on it!

Also I have stomach fat left but can do all the running and pullups I assume I should probably keep on my diet but shouldn't go to overboard since I heard the training is rough and food is short so I'm on track to lose the rest lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_155151007.jpg
    IMG_20211130_155151007.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211130_155237498.jpg
    IMG_20211130_155237498.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-345133214.jpg
    Snapchat-345133214.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211130_161346209~2.jpg
    IMG_20211130_161346209~2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211130_161428112~2.jpg
    IMG_20211130_161428112~2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211130_161256001~2.jpg
    IMG_20211130_161256001~2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-679373087.jpg
    Snapchat-679373087.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 3

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Keep up the good work, Jack. I'm not sure why you have posted the photos, but my favorite is the second one 498 what is that a rock? :unsure::love::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)
Prepare your story well, because it isn't only about physical.