a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Flying out in December

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for adding me!
I plan to fly over this December I am 21 from the USA and in good physical shape of course training everyday until I can go. If anyone wonders why I just wouldn't join the us military it is because I ruined my credit when I was younger. yes that doesn't necessarily mean I can't join but I couldn't join the rangers our regular parachute regiment doesn't have the action I was after and that was a dream since I was a kid. My dad a ex ranger jokingly said I could go to the other side of the world and join this parachute regiment that would jump into wars all over the world when I asked the name he couldn't remember. The funny thing is I was filling out entry with another branch of our military and it asked specifically if I had ever served or tried to join the FFL. Then it clicked after some research that these were the men my father had spoken of. I was instantly amazed by the strict code and how any man could join and start pretty much a new life if they meet the standards. I seek action or just to be in a change of setting I don't like living the normal life where I wake up eat work eat sleep repeat. I guess that is what brings me here to ask these questions before I go. To me joining the legion means a better life not for the pay or for the training but just a better mental well being feeling like I would be part of a home that is no ones before they joined, and interacting with all of the different nationalities feels like it would be a amazing experience.

1 I have studied the ranks ,traditions, and basic vocabulary is there anything specific that I should learn to better my chances ?

2 I have got my first dose of the covid vaccine and will record the second dose along with the vile and card would this be sufficient enough for any authorities that may question the authenticity of my vaccine card ? or furthermore has anyone had a problem with just having a vaccine card ?

3 I broke my leg as a child and have never had any complications I can run, jump, swim fine. I had external pins instead of internal so no hardware in my leg I just have scars. I do have papers that I was cleared after surgery and physical therapy and also a current physical. Would this stop me from being able to getting in the 2e REP ?

Hopefully this isn't to much for a first post I just hope I could share my perspective on it and see if I could get some feedback.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
İt looks like you have already prepared for a lots of things thats awesome.
İ still have way to go :/
İ advise you to take your second dose and if you can take third one as well before you come and the documents that proves that you are vaccinated.
İ hope we met in future pal take care.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
1 I have studied the ranks ,traditions, and basic vocabulary is there anything specific that I should learn to better my chances ?

2 I have got my first dose of the covid vaccine and will record the second dose along with the vile and card would this be sufficient enough for any authorities that may question the authenticity of my vaccine card ? or furthermore has anyone had a problem with just having a vaccine card ?

3 I broke my leg as a child and have never had any complications I can run, jump, swim fine. I had external pins instead of internal so no hardware in my leg I just have scars. I do have papers that I was cleared after surgery and physical therapy and also a current physical. Would this stop me from being able to getting in the 2e REP ?

Hopefully this isn't to much for a first post I just hope I could share my perspective on it and see if I could get some feedback.
Focus first about passing in everything.
1 - Sounds good, so you don't have to salut wrongly / mistake the rank of someone there during the recruitment.
Think if would be good also in the questions, like where you want to go, why the regiment, etc

2 - I mentioned in another post about vaccine, each country has its own restrictions, US maybe not have so much
when entering in France. Just check the requirements when travel to there, 1 dose, 2 whatever needed, and obviously bring your vaccination card.

3 - I would bring everything possible, blood exams, healthy certificate, and specially if you think something could get a wrong perception,
so 'maybe another review from a medic from US certififying that you are good to go' can reinforce there is nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for adding me!
I plan to fly over this December I am 21 from the USA and in good physical shape of course training everyday until I can go. If anyone wonders why I just wouldn't join the us military it is because I ruined my credit when I was younger. yes that doesn't necessarily mean I can't join but I couldn't join the rangers our regular parachute regiment doesn't have the action I was after and that was a dream since I was a kid. My dad a ex ranger jokingly said I could go to the other side of the world and join this parachute regiment that would jump into wars all over the world when I asked the name he couldn't remember. The funny thing is I was filling out entry with another branch of our military and it asked specifically if I had ever served or tried to join the FFL. Then it clicked after some research that these were the men my father had spoken of. I was instantly amazed by the strict code and how any man could join and start pretty much a new life if they meet the standards. I seek action or just to be in a change of setting I don't like living the normal life where I wake up eat work eat sleep repeat. I guess that is what brings me here to ask these questions before I go. To me joining the legion means a better life not for the pay or for the training but just a better mental well being feeling like I would be part of a home that is no ones before they joined, and interacting with all of the different nationalities feels like it would be a amazing experience.

jackcarver.
Welcome to the forum Enjoy it and glean as much information as you can from those in Green.
It is a good write up full of enthusiasm and shows keenness.
We had US Ranger officers training with us in the late1950s' early 60s'. They were a.o.k.
Several earned their Green Berets.

Enough of that- Good luck and go for it 'Young Man.'

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for adding me!

So..your post brings a smile to my face.. young and full of enthusiasm!..as an American you will face tough scrutiny!.they are not particularly welcome at this time in the legion.. so try harder!.excel in everything you do and learn French!.there won’t be any rewards in the beginning just hard slog!.lots of screaming and corvée!..if you make it past the farm and to your regiment bravo!..the training really begins there!..I don’t care what others say..2ème REP is still a good regiment to start your career..there will be many hardships..the rewards?.should you make it!..you served with some of the best lads around the world..in one of the legions premier regiments!.best of luck!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So..your post brings a smile to my face.. young and full of enthusiasm!..as an American you will face tough scrutiny!.they are not particularly welcome at this time in the legion.. so try harder!.excel in everything you do and learn French!.there won’t be any rewards in the beginning just hard slog!.lots of screaming and corvée!..if you make it past the farm and to your regiment bravo!..the training really begins there!..I don’t care what others say..2ème REP is still a good regiment to start your career..there will be many hardships..the rewards?.should you make it!..you served with some of the best lads around the world..in one of the legions premier regiments!.best of luck!
thanks for the words of wisdom. I am actually surprised about the number of Americans I have seen and definitely will strive to be the best I can to get in.

Also thanks everyone else for the kind words and knowledge it's amazing to me the network of everyone commenting from different parts of the world!

Gallowglass

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Dude, if you're in shape and ready to go then go. Arrive in December and you'll be on the Farm freezing your bollocks off in January in the Pyrenees, Sure that's life in the Legion but any fool can be uncomfortable. Go now and you have weather on your side, Wait until the "best time " and you'll never go. as Nike says, Just Do It!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dude, if you're in shape and ready to go then go. Arrive in December and you'll be on the Farm freezing your bollocks off in January in the Pyrenees, Sure that's life in the Legion but any fool can be uncomfortable. Go now and you have weather on your side, Wait until the "best time " and you'll never go. as Nike says, Just Do It!
I got a hell of a deal on a flight honestly was the first one that popped up under $300 so I just said this is it time to commit. I see winter is brutal over there I usually prefer winter to summer and enjoy the mountains and hiking. Hopefully I won't regret trying to be a cheap bastard on the flight lol. Will definitely update upon my departure and journey if I make it in as I haven't seen many winter stories.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I got a hell of a deal on a flight honestly was the first one that popped up under $300 so I just said this is it time to commit. I see winter is brutal over there I usually prefer winter to summer and enjoy the mountains and hiking. Hopefully I won't regret trying to be a cheap bastard on the flight lol. Will definitely update upon my departure and journey if I make it in as I haven't seen many winter stories.
Over a 5 year contract you are going to encounter winter 5 times if cold and having to rough it a bit is delayed your action to join then you may have other issues holding you back it’s not Alaska or Siberia its France! Just struggle with reasons why folks seem to prefer to tread water and not action their plans.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Over a 5 year contract you are going to encounter winter 5 times if cold and having to rough it a bit is delayed your action to join then you may have other issues holding you back it’s not Alaska or Siberia its France! Just struggle with reasons why folks seem to prefer to tread water and not action their plans.
Well stated Papillon, Aubange is in the South of France, if you can get through that, whatever time of the year then it is home sailing.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Is it a round trip ticket, I shouldn't think so judging by the price. This will work in you favor, when you go in front of the 'gestapo', make sure to point out that it is because you do not intend on going home for at least 5 years. Even though that may be a white lie, as I know that it is possible to get an emergency passport (U citizen) from the US Consulate. Do you know where it is?

In fact anyone who is travelling to France should find out where their nearest Consulate is.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Is it a round trip ticket, I shouldn't think so judging by the price. This will work in you favor, when you go in front of the 'gestapo', make sure to point out that it is because you do not intend on going home for at least 5 years. Even though that may be a white lie, as I know that it is possible to get an emergency passport (U citizen) from the US Consulate. Do you know where it is?

In fact anyone who is travelling to France should find out where their nearest Consulate is.
No sir, I definitely plan on putting the 5 years in. I wrote down my few contacts I have and the addresses of the consulate and whatever basic vocabulary I would need as well as the different entry addresses incase my phone is lost.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No sir, I definitely plan on putting the 5 years in. I wrote down my few contacts I have and the addresses of the consulate and whatever basic vocabulary I would need as well as the different entry addresses incase my phone is lost.
That's a good mentality you have there, Jack. Good luck.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
A couple of cents worth here..training in every environment and climate (cow fields, urban centers, jungle...mountain, desert...) you will need to develop resourcefulness and the ability to adapt. This is more of a mental thing than physical but both are important. Proper hygiene is important so regardless of how tired you are always have a shower (when possible), brush your teeth and tend to any boo-boo's that have the potential to turn ugly. Be a sponge and "go with the flow as required" but stand fast to your ideals and ethics. Don't bring anything of value when you sign up. If you have something then either don't bring it or cache it somewhere that you can return to within a couple of years. Seems like you have a great attitude...it will keep you going for what exists ahead.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Here you are buddy if you get lost just ask any French Policeman to take you their, don’t no if things have changed but BITD they had a sort of duty to get you to nearest point of entry.
This is on my wall as thought my Son might take the hint😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 9

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good Luck, as stated earlier, do not wait.

Most here do not understand the background check you have to fill out in the states at a minimum going back 7-years. Have some bad credit or worse and be denied a clearance but should not hamper your joining in the US despite you will likely not get a TS clearance which more advanced occupations require, you may feel compromised and give away your gear, oh wait, that was Joe Biden. How that ass clown has a clearance is dumbfounding