a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp Raffalli, Calvi

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'll take a calculated guess and say 1984. I'll settle for one bottle of wine.
So here’s the kicker…I don’t know either! 😱certainly not in my time..77-83. I’ve talked to anciens on other sites.. one said he thinks late eighties.. another early nineties..yet another 2000 and something!?..getting to be one hell of a mystery!🤔..no matter.. the offer still holds and if not resolved by the end of the year.. the money I put aside will be donated to the forum. Cheers all.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'd say the person most likely to confirm my calculated guess would be Pink Floyd, who still has contacts over there. And yes, I'll take the bottle of wine, I rarely drink here, I've limited myself to a small Chang beer of an evening and three on a Sunday, however, a nice Bordeaux or domain capitaine Danjou would go down just great.😋

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'd say the person most likely to confirm my calculated guess would be Pink Floyd, who still has contacts over there. And yes, I'll take the bottle of wine, I rarely drink here, I've limited myself to a small Chang beer of an evening and three on a Sunday, however, a nice Bordeaux or domain capitaine Danjou would go down just great.😋
Joe you have to win it to drink it😂 Hang fire choosing your tiple!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe you have to win it to drink it😂 Hang fire choosing your tiple!
It’s going to be after 1988 as looking at some photos on the internet it was a blank canvas then! going to be a good little pastime this when I have the odd bit of time to hunt out information trouble is as some of you will no from where it stands to different areas of the camp not many parade photos cover that angle. Hunt goes on looking like the 90s

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You have good taste Joseph.. some of my favorite wines are from the Bordeaux region..but when I have friends around and have to impress!🙄..I buy chateaneuf-du -pape..that will go with any dish..and shut the idiots up!..papillon is right..as a moderator you have to remain impartial..may I suggest someone who can be neutral and also arbitrate in all this.? I would suggest volt.. if only because he is not a repman ..but a very respected green!.also I have heard taxes and fees from both sides of the pond regarding booze are very prohibitive so whoever wins the prize will have the choice of two bottles of the good stuff or 100.00 dollars cash..good hunting!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Mark,

did you know the Cchs from the REP had their own cuvée (it was probably the label that they changed) of chateauneuf du Pape? I kid you not. It was some agreement that the Cchs had with the chateau. Once the batch was sold they didn't produce any more.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Mark,

did you know the Cchs from the REP had their own cuvée (it was probably the label that they changed) of chateauneuf du Pape? I kid you not. It was some agreement that the Cchs had with the chateau. Once the batch was sold they didn't produce any more.
It was the label they changed Joseph..I remember our president of the club.. Manfred.. a crusty old German.. god forbid if you forgot to salute when you entered the club!.I did once and it cost me almost a couple of weeks pay in bar bills!. Good times though..once you were excepted.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1629253916004.png1629254148899.png1629254294533.png1629254529573.png
I do have the contact details of Valerie, the lady who realized the project, however, if I'm to be excluded for being a Mod (racist 🥺o_O)... We may never know?
What says you Monsieur l'arbitre?

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
After 2012, Cne Leloup told me that it wasn't done when he was there.
Cne Leloup was in charge of the EVs. We knew each other in the REP in the 3rd Cie. He gave me the name of his successor. He's now CDU somewhere.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You have good taste Joseph.. some of my favorite wines are from the Bordeaux region..but when I have friends around and have to impress!🙄..I buy chateaneuf-du -pape..that will go with any dish..and shut the idiots up!..papillon is right..as a moderator you have to remain impartial..may I suggest someone who can be neutral and also arbitrate in all this.? I would suggest volt.. if only because he is not a repman ..but a very respected green!.also I have heard taxes and fees from both sides of the pond regarding booze are very prohibitive so whoever wins the prize will have the choice of two bottles of the good stuff or 100.00 dollars cash..good hunting!
Now you have my full attention nothing like the ££££$$$$$$ or €€€€€ to get me motivated but ain’t going to be easy looking like the early 90s hope some other greens come by that may have served then well in Calvi.
Keep the bottles in the cellar 😂

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Since there was no mention of exclusion.
If I had my say in this, the award should go to the winner regardless of position or rank.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Since there was no mention of exclusion.
If I had my say in this, the award should go to the winner regardless of position or rank.
Volt..it doesn’t matter to me either!..whoever can tell me the exact year the REP sign was put on the water tower and who the artist was..wins!.. as simple as that..it’s been bugging me for some time now..I might of even gone to the extreme of hiring papillon or LPC as mercenaries to find out the truth the hard way!.🥷😅😉..I will leave it to you to announce the winner whenever and whoever that may be.. thanks volt.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Volt..it doesn’t matter to me either!..whoever can tell me the exact year the REP sign was put on the water tower and who the artist was..wins!.. as simple as that..it’s been bugging me for some time now..I might of even gone to the extreme of hiring papillon or LPC as mercenaries to find out the truth the hard way!.🥷😅😉..I will leave it to you to announce the winner whenever and whoever that may be.. thanks volt.
Hard enough the year now the painters name, my brain is that mashed I can go to bed in my civilian name and wake up with my nom de guerre, Well as I’m on the wagon their is no motivation but got me hooked to keep logging in to see if the puzzle has been broke 😀Enjoying this THANKS.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hard enough the year now the painters name, my brain is that mashed I can go to bed in my civilian name and wake up with my nom de guerre, Well as I’m on the wagon their is no motivation but got me hooked to keep logging in to see if the puzzle has been broke 😀Enjoying this THANKS.
A shame you find it such a joke!.was joining the legion and the REP a joke also!?..I will take this else where..apologies to all for even bringing the subject up!