a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Retirement

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
If a person joins the legion at 37 years of age can it serve the years necessary to get the pension before obligatory retirement age according to the military rank? I saw online that in the French army if you're 47 and made it only to sergeant you have to retire by law.
Thank you

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'd suggest that you get a grip of yourself as time is not on your side. In a couple of months it will be 2 years since you first joined the forum.
You really have to make up your mind.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
I'd suggest that you get a grip of yourself as time is not on your side. In a couple of months it will be 2 years since you first joined the forum.
You really have to make up your mind.
Yes. Some problems happening around me that needed my attention, specially in my family, so I think it wasn't my time to go yet, but I still want to take the test, I'm 35 now and very aware of the time, I'm working on getting that grip. Thank you.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
7 pull ups
Level 7 at least,on the Luc Léger test
17.5 years service, and the pension can be yours
Go for it.. even thought you are about Dussaboss âge (who gave you free advice...just like me)
So, it wasn't what you expected to hear (from me)..just trying to save you an air fare to nothing
7 pull ups...at the door
Honestly, who ever recieves you at Aubagne, will be more blunt than me
It would be easier for you to try and enter the U.S.A., for a future (heard on the swamp, that the Louisanne is swell at this time of year)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
19 gendarmes killed this sunday morning at Sokolo, near the border of the Mauriatannien..
Source : le Parisien
There is a info map where the attack took place...to give you an idea of the terrority that Opération Barkhane covers...and the G5
Please up post...
Should of posted on the Barkhane thread...Mods, do your duty

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
7 pull ups
Level 7 at least,on the Luc Léger test
17.5 years service, and the pension can be yours
Go for it.. even thought you are about Dussaboss âge (who gave you free advice...just like me)
So, it wasn't what you expected to hear (from me)..just trying to save you an air fare to nothing
7 pull ups...at the door
Honestly, who ever recieves you at Aubagne, will be more blunt than me
It would be easier for you to try and enter the U.S.A., for a future (heard on the swamp, that the Louisanne is swell at this time of year)
Yeah man I know the drill and why you had that attitude lol, I want to do at least 10. I don't want to live a meaningless life and be a disgraceful man, I took this path thinking to join the Legion but now It has a different meaning to me, a deeper one, I never did something important or serious for myself and my life or for the people that care for me, I think I have a chance now to start again, after a miserable period in my life, and do that. Thank you

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Julian as posted elsewhere I advised you not to go unless it is the last resort. Age may be against you.
However if you really want to do it - get a grip- think positive and have what I call the want factor. Success is always in the mind. As the French say ; Ne pas subir.

It pays to be a winner and even the most inadequate can often prevail.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Julian as posted elsewhere I advised you not to go unless it is the last resort. Age may be against you.
However if you really want to do it - get a grip- think positive and have what I call the want factor. Success is always in the mind. As the French say ; Ne pas subir.

Thanx

Last edited:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

Chas, good to see you back on the forum. My best regards...