a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, my introduction

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 28 years old finnish male, always been interested about military and especially about legion etrangere. I have some military experience myself, of course conscription service, and also served as UN peacekeeper for couple of tours.

Never been in real active duty because of the conscription system, there are not so much jobs for ppl like me, for every nco job there is hundreds of applicants.

So in civil i've been working in blue collar jobs, such as welding, excavation, landscape gardening, construction etc. And maybe life will stay like this, because as I told, for me it's difficult to find jobs in the army and even legion is not choice because of some decisions made by me when i was younger and, if possible, more stupid. (I'm married & father of a son) So i think that would be a big no-no if i even tried to enlist..

But that's how it is, however i'm here and finally registered, i'll continue reading the forum and so on.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I'm 28 years old finnish male, always been interested about military and especially about legion etrangere. I have some military experience myself, of course conscription service, and also served as UN peacekeeper for couple of tours.

Never been in real active duty because of the conscription system, there are not so much jobs for ppl like me, for every nco job there is hundreds of applicants.

So in civil i've been working in blue collar jobs, such as welding, excavation, landscape gardening, construction etc. And maybe life will stay like this, because as I told, for me it's difficult to find jobs in the army and even legion is not choice because of some decisions made by me when i was younger and, if possible, more stupid. (I'm married & father of a son) So i think that would be a big no-no if i even tried to enlist..

But that's how it is, however i'm here and finally registered, i'll continue reading the forum and so on.
I think the Legion will still take a married man but you will be separated & i was told by "Guy" circa 97 for a married quarter you need to be Cpl Chef.
so you will be enlisted as a single man

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I think youd have to claim to be separated / divorced to be accepted , if you got posted over seas for a couple of years could you cope with not seeing your family for that long ?

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Hi, Mickey and welcome
Read the forum and learn french
It may help

Thanks for welcoming me and, i'll definitely keep reading even tho i'm not necessarily going to enlist.

Not seeing my family wouldn't be a problem, our relationship is not that perfect type you see in movies. I mean, we don't have problems but I've never asked permission to do that or do this and she goes and does what she wants also. It's just my style, never liked the idea of marriage being automatically something that ties you down in house, car, dog and that "classic" family life. There is nothing wrong but just not my thing.

But as i said, i'm not necessarily going to even try, i just like the forum and stories!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Tervetuloa Suomalainen

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi MikeyJ and welcome to the forum. Whatever you decide to to do, at least you will have learnt something about the legion from here.
On a personal note, I would not advise leaving you wife and child. What you may consider to be an understanding marriage, will completely do your head in; not being about to phone her for months...

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Hi MikeyJ and welcome to the forum. Whatever you decide to to do, at least you will have learnt something about the legion from here.
On a personal note, I would not advise leaving you wife and child. What you may consider to be an understanding marriage, will completely do your head in; not being about to phone her for months...

Thank you very much. Yes, i know what you're talking about since i've already done something like that before (been away from family for months without possibility to call and only contacting them when access to slow internet)

My better half is strong woman and can take care of everything so i wouldn't be worried about things since she knows not to whine when i can not do anything. But i guess you're right, it's not wise to leave, mainly because i think my son would not be happy when he grows up and starts to make his own opinions about fathers who were not home.