a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Workout routine

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Like Hawkeye47 has done, I too will list what I have been doing. This should help those in the future see more or less what minimum effort should be put into the preparations of going, (should either of us make it of course).

Warmup
100 pull-ups. Broken into sets of 14-20 (arms locked fully extended, no kip with chin over the bar)
200 push-ups (chest to ground, arms fully extended and elbows locked)
200 crunches (usmc style, butt on floor, feet flat, arms crossed at elbows, arms tight against chest, shoulder blades contact the ground)
100 burpees

Then weight training.
One day is Back and bis
Another is Chest and tris
Again another is Legs
(Switching the routine up every 6 weeks. So say, chest and back, bis and tris, legs, etc.)
Followed by lots of stretching.

Later run 2-5 miles once every other night.
And cycle sprints (meaning 20-35miles) in between the nights of running.

I also surf 1:30hr to 3hrs damn near every morning before even starting my workouts.

1 day off a week from training to recover doing active cardio, some weeks no days off.

I am 5'9, 145lbs flat in clothes and shoes, can bench 185lbs 6 times with a full second pause with the bar resting on my chest.
I won't go into different body parts weights abilities just yet. You can guess my current profession by my form and technique.

I have a 10k race coming up next Saturday. Will post how I place, with run times of course.

Here's a 5 mile from last night. This was with a group whom run a bit slower than my slowness. So we kept the beginning pace down for everyone until the end and the slower ones died off. It takes me some miles to warm up and hit my tempo.

54efd0d1bbc1d2f9bad960fa1becf1af.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does one "warm up" w/ 200 pushups full range of motion, 200 crunches and 100 pullups perfect form after a 90mn to 3-hour run? And ONE DAY of rest per week? I'm sorry but I truly can't believe this without seeing it, sounds completely nuts. And then you quit the Legion because it was too easy for you? Really? I don't mean to come off as disrespectful or aggressive, I'm just really confused

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
How does one "warm up" w/ 200 pushups full range of motion, 200 crunches and 100 pullups perfect form after a 90mn to 3-hour run? And ONE DAY of rest per week? I'm sorry but I truly can't believe this without seeing it, sounds completely nuts. And then you quit the Legion because it was too easy for you? Really? I don't mean to come off as disrespectful or aggressive, I'm just really confused
I don't think The shadow ever said he joined :unsure: I think he was more interested in posting his amazing workout routine.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I don't think The shadow ever said he joined :unsure: I think he was more interested in posting his amazing workout routine.
Didn't he explain a few pages back how many people he came across weren't professional/motivated/in good enough shape and he was disappointed because it wasn't nearly as hard as he had hoped?

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Didn't he explain a few pages back how many people he came across weren't professional/motivated/in good enough shape and he was disappointed because it wasn't nearly as hard as he had hoped?
I'm not sure to be quite honest. If you come across where he said it, quote it so we can all see. I haven't go the patience to read up about him. Everyone will have an excuse why they can't hack it, it kind of helps to get over the embarrassment. In my day, during instruction and then in your regiment, you had to desert if it was too tough for you. Nowadays, right or wrong, you just have to ask to go civvy.
If the Shadow did not get past Aubagne, it kind of sums it all up. Not professional enough, motivated enough, or fit enough? Who the recruits or the cadre.
If it's the recruits well, being a waiter in a restaurant or an electrician or postman before joining, although very professional in their own field of work isn't the same as being a soldier. That is where Castel comes in. It's their job to motivate them and get them fit. And Castel is only the beginning. 5 months ago, most of them were sat in front of their TVs watching Emerdale Farm re-runs with a packet of smokey bacon crisps on their laps and a diet coke in their hand. Very little French when the finish Castel and sent to their regiments with a basic concept of military. That is when the real learning of what the legion is about begins.
Otherwise we just give them a rifle with a bayonet fixed to it and point them in the right direction.:cool:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Shadow did make it and got sent to 2REP but asked to go civil after a month or so.
Thanks for clearing that up Snafu. I suppose that the thought of spending the next 4.5 years on an island where the REP's discipline is legendary and (probably) missing home and the fact that all he had to do was to ask to go civvy was stronger than his word to serve for five years.
What I can't understand with these people is they have come to the legion. They have knocked on the door and asked to sign on for 5 years with the legion. They then have the gall to say that the others aren't motivated enough :rolleyes: It's the world upside down. I'm sure if Buffalo Bill was to be asked if he wanted to go to prison for 7 years, he would say: no, not really. However he wasn't given the choice. But no one forced The Shadow to get on a plane and join. With today's media, he cannot say that he wasn't warned.
Before any of you people who are wanting to join actually go, check up on people on youtube who have joined and were disappointed with the legion, The Viking, Mr Black to name but a few. That way you can get an aperitif of what will be waiting for you. These people have gone expecting... I'm not quite sure what, first blood or perhaps apocalypse now a week after leaving Castel?
It's like joining the Brit, Aussi, NZ army and asking to go SAS selection a month after basic training.
No-one is guaranteeing action (in the legion) as no-one is guaranteeing action in any of today's modern armies after leaving basic training.
Whatever you do, don't go unless you are motivated yourself. It's for 5 years, It's up to you to join if you want. If you are not prepared to make a big change in your life than don't go. but if you do, and you find that it is too tough for you; mentally and or physically then don't turn around and make a video like The Viking or The Amazing Ryan, surrounded by legion mementos saying how bad things are.

Basically don't quit the legion saying how bad things are, say that you quit because you were a knobber and couldn't hack it.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Love it, all this "I can do this " Stuff. Still all here blabbering away. Like dusaboss. Remember dusa when I offered to pay for your tickets to come to France and join, remember that??. I do, i sure do. Remember all the excuses you made...I DO. Oh wait, that was over a year ago...look at you still. Mumbling away like a confused crack head without crack. Dont worry, I will remind you again, NEXT YEAR around this time in 2019. Have a hopeless holiday.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thanks for clearing that up Snafu. I suppose that the thought of spending the next 4.5 years on an island where the REP's discipline is legendary and (probably) missing home and the fact that all he had to do was to ask to go civvy was stronger than his word to serve for five years.
What I can't understand with these people is they have come to the legion. They have knocked on the door and asked to sign on for 5 years with the legion. They then have the gall to say that the others aren't motivated enough :rolleyes: It's the world upside down. I'm sure if Buffalo Bill was to be asked if he wanted to go to prison for 7 years, he would say: no, not really. However he wasn't given the choice. But no one forced The Shadow to get on a plane and join. With today's media, he cannot say that he wasn't warned.
Before any of you people who are wanting to join actually go, check up on people on youtube who have joined and were disappointed with the legion, The Viking, Mr Black to name but a few. That way you can get an aperitif of what will be waiting for you. These people have gone expecting... I'm not quite sure what, first blood or perhaps apocalypse now a week after leaving Castel?
It's like joining the Brit, Aussi, NZ army and asking to go SAS selection a month after basic training.
No-one is guaranteeing action (in the legion) as no-one is guaranteeing action in any of today's modern armies after leaving basic training.
Whatever you do, don't go unless you are motivated yourself. It's for 5 years, It's up to you to join if you want. If you are not prepared to make a big change in your life than don't go. but if you do, and you find that it is too tough for you; mentally and or physically then don't turn around and make a video like The Viking or The Amazing Ryan, surrounded by legion mementos saying how bad things are.

Basically don't quit the legion saying how bad things are, say that you quit because you were a knobber and couldn't hack it.
Thanks for the clarification, yeah I do find it weird that he would complain about Legion standards not being tough enough leaves before beginning to train w/ his regiment under pretext that since he supposedly cruised through Aubagne/Castelnaudary the Legion fitness requirements are too easy for him, easier than USMC etc. and he's bored. Haven't heard from him since either. He should've tried out for 3REI and attempt qualifying for AMF if he was so desperate for a challenge.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
He should've tried out for 3REI and attempt qualifying for AMF if he was so desperate for a challenge.
He could have tried out for 3REI after a while, and then gone back to the REP. Perhaps he has found something more gratifying in civvy street :oops:

Sorry, I just couldn't help it :giggle:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If one going with thoughts that FFL is some highly professional highly trained, SF level organization he would be disappointed, but that doesn't mean that legion is loose gang of unprofessional drunks.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Love it, all this "I can do this " Stuff. Still all here blabbering away. Like dusaboss. Remember dusa when I offered to pay for your tickets to come to France and join, remember that??. I do, i sure do. Remember all the excuses you made...I DO. Oh wait, that was over a year ago...look at you still. Mumbling away like a confused crack head without crack. Dont worry, I will remind you again, NEXT YEAR around this time in 2019. Have a hopeless holiday.
I remember. You offered me that because you knew that I'm not ready so you will look like saint (with 666 on his neck :)) and I would look like a pussy. I'm pretty sure that you didn't have intention to buy me a ticket.

After all I'm not so war away and I have money for ticket .That was never an issue for me. Maybe I will go, maybe I never will. I don't see point to go there just to get rejected 99% (or maybe I would just go to see and shut mouth of you and those like you). I mean really, its big deal to go there and try when you can give up in every given moment. Anyone with cash for a trip can do that. It doesn't take take any balls for that.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I remember. You offered me that because you knew that I'm not ready so you will look like saint (with 666 on his neck :)) and I would look like a pussy. I'm pretty sure that you didn't have intention to buy me a ticket.

After all I'm not so war away and I have money for ticket .That was never an issue for me. Maybe I will go, maybe I never will. I don't see point to go there just to get rejected 99% (or maybe I would just go to see and shut mouth of you and those like you). I mean really, its big deal to go there and try when you can give up in every given moment. Anyone with cash for a trip can do that. It doesn't take take any balls for that.
Gonna get you two Boys a room together.. :p:D:D

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Any excuse is a good excuse, you have some fantastic ones. Ill finish my contract before you ever leave your mothers basement.