a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent test

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
As promised here is the basics of mounting a tente modulaire or a guitoune Mle 56.
The main difference is in the weight. The metal frame of the modele 56 is made from heavy metal (iron or steel perhaps ?) the modulaire is made of a lighter alloy. Also the fixing of the different parts to form the frame. "More of that in a later lesson" as our old Sgt instructor used to say.
The principle is the same. first of all you have to lay out all the the pieces of the framework. If you do this to begin with everyone will be able to follow what is happening. If you don't you will have everyone putting bits of frame work together.
The three main pieces I have called the 'A' frame.
a frame 2.jpgthe top is the frame in it's closed position and the bottom is in it's open position. Note on the apex is two (here colored black) to fix. poles to. IF there are only two A frames, no matter, it just means that the tent will be a 1 unit, but most are 2 units, therefore 3 'A' frames. The method does not change, you can fix a hundred units together this way.
Lay out 1.jpg In the middle you can see the opened A frames with the various poles. Note carefully the poles at the outside. These are the feet. The crosses that you see are the pieces of metal that you fix the bars to.
1539762218607.png The foto is taken from the wrong angle but no matter. With the Mle 56, you do not have these. More of that in a later lesson.
If you get this far , (it's like the tickle zone at the top of ladies tights) you're laughing.
traverse 4.jpg Fig. 4 The 'A' frames are assembled. Be careful that everyone doesn't understand the system and start fixes poles together, there is a way of doing things.
top side 6.jpg next are the sides. top side 7.jpg And then ONE set of legs and feet. pieds 8.jpgfig 7

This is important because you are now going to put on the toile or canvas if you like. One thing worth noting here. Very important, the canvas has to be attached. Otherwise it'll blow away.o_O.
Some Mle 56s means that you have to feed the two poles through a sleeve in the roof of the canvas cf. fig4. One by one !
Next you must attached the attaches from the rear of the tent to the side of the tent where the legs are. i.e. looking at fgi 7 top of the picture to top left of the picture. check out 43 secs, not the same kind of tent, but same method.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=operation+unifier+installation

Some model 56s also have to have the poles on the wall put through sleeves on the side, but these are really older versions. Once you have the rear and the side attached and the roof, on the inside, then three people on the right hand of fig 7 ready to lift. three others with the legs and feet. Everyone lifts together and legs are put into place.
finished product. 10.jpg nearly finished product (with the canvas ;))
The difference with the Mle 56 to the modulaire is that you must fix the poles directly to the poles and the 'A' frame is slightly different . See Bansky below :
20181016_161757.jpg
On the 'A' frame there may be a thinner bar which was used for hanging laps from. So if you find yourselves with a couple of thin bars that's where they go. also on both types of tents, if you find yourself with extra bars, they go through sleeves at the bottom of the tents to keep them from flapping around. I think if you get as far as laying out the framework and getting the canvas on your time will be up anyway.
Be careful to put the canvas on the right way. There is usually a plastic window and a canvas cover. The canvas is on the outside, kind of like shutters on a window.

Attachments

• 1539764374881.png
    1539764374881.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
You went the extra mile with these, it will come in handy. Now i guess the real challange will be assembly the tent, with a group of unknown people that may not even speak your own language... now that will test the team work ability of each of everyone...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think tent test is great indicator to show how will one perform as a legionar.

Test it's not about tent assembly (they will teach you that letter). Its there to show how you cooperating with in a group and to show some practical, real life scenario intelligence.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You're both correct in my opinion. When I was a junior in the ACC, catering corps I was sent on an outward bound course. There was an obstacle course which required all kinds of intuition. It was a civilian thing so the idea was not just to get over a wooden wall by making a pyramid of soldiers.
What they are probably looking for in Aubagne is can a group of you figure out how to assemble the pieces together. As I've said, it you get as far as laying out the different bits ready to be assembled, that is half the battle.

Once in your regiment, believe me you will be sick of assembling these tents. Whether it be for Camerone or the regiment;s fete. and most courses are done in the tents and of course you will be called to put them up for civvies from time to time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You're both correct in my opinion. When I was a junior in the ACC, catering corps I was sent on an outward bound course. There was an obstacle course which required all kinds of intuition. It was a civilian thing so the idea was not just to get over a wooden wall by making a pyramid of soldiers.
What they are probably looking for in Aubagne is can a group of you figure out how to assemble the pieces together. As I've said, it you get as far as laying out the different bits ready to be assembled, that is half the battle.

Once in your regiment, believe me you will be sick of assembling these tents. Whether it be for Camerone or the regiment;s fete. and most courses are done in the tents and of course you will be called to put them up for civvies from time to time.
Joe random question, were you the cook for your section when out in the Field? A lot of jokes were made by people but the ACC were great. shame they no longer exist & the troops are fed by civilian contractors.. very bad what i heard.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Outside caterers are extremely poor. I believe that now the troops have to pay for their meals.
The ACC were excellent chefs. The best food was the RAF. RN and RM chefs were excellent and our victualling officer always ensured good scran.

Now we are underfunded, manpower is short, many service men are obese and we could not fight our way out of a paper bag. A lamentable state of affairs and also not enough trained matelots to man the 2 new aircraft carriers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe random question, were you the cook for your section when out in the Field? A lot of jokes were made by people but the ACC were great. shame they no longer exist & the troops are fed by civilian contractors.. very bad what i heard.
Cook in the legion? No I didn't tell them I was in the army let alone a chef. I said I was a landscape gardener before joining.
I did once cook for the whole company in the REP for ten days in a 'village de combat'.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Outside caterers are extremely poor. I believe that now the troops have to pay for their meals.
The ACC were excellent chefs. The best food was the RAF. RN and RM chefs were excellent and our victualling officer always ensured good scran.

Now we are underfunded, manpower is short, many service men are obese and we could not fight our way out of a paper bag. A lamentable state of affairs and also not enough trained matelots to man the 2 new aircraft carriers.
RAF were well looked after.. The RAF "Rock Apes" ..LOL. were Infantry but not in the sense of the Army or Marines but had also a Para regt. not slagging them off.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Joe you cooked that turtle didn´t you ? :)

Joe ate whatever he wanted!

Once, when he was a young corporal in French Guiana he led group of new legionnaires into survival course in jungle.
One of them started to misbehave and disrespecting him badly. Group was made of 15 legionnaires, only 14 came out that jungle. But hey, they were all well fed. ;) What happens in selva stays in selva! :)

(This is obvious joke, but there's all kind of people reading this so it's better to point on.)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe ate whatever he wanted!

Once, when he was a young corporal in French Guiana he led group of new legionnaires into survival course in jungle.
One of them started to misbehave and disrespecting him badly. Group was made of 15 legionnaires, only 14 came out that jungle. But hey, they were all well fed. ;) What happens in selva stays in selva! :)

(This is obvious joke, but there's all kind of people reading this so it's better to point on.)
i just love animals..felt sorry for that Turtle. I know i would have eaten it though :cry:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Excellent info and post Joe. If you want to see how a person deals with others, give them a timed task and make sure you cant understand each other!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Excellent info and post Joe. If you want to see how a person deals with others, give them a timed task and make sure you cant understand each other!
Thanks Snafu, as long as everyone keeps it himself that he learned it from here. Otherwise they will probably come up with something else. Perhaps putting together a ten man zodiac:cool: Another of my specialties.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Snafu, as long as everyone keeps it himself that he learned it from here. Otherwise they will probably come up with something else. Perhaps putting together a ten man zodiac:cool: Another of my specialties.
do you think they read this forum? Possible i think... The mind boggles

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
i just love animals..felt sorry for that Turtle. I know i would have eaten it though :cry:
It was him or she (or him, don't know gender of a turtle). If Joe didn't ate that turtle she wouldn't hasted to ate him, and running away from hungry turtle isn't easy task.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It was him or she (or him, don't know gender of a turtle). If Joe didn't ate that turtle she wouldn't hasted to ate him, and running away from hungry turtle isn't easy task.
Wonder what Turtle Steaks Taste like?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Maybe myself and Dusaboss are undercover gestapo?
I don't see this forum as reliable source of informations. There is many BS here.
Take me for example. Imagine guy from gestapo reading my posts, collecting info on me and then goes to his superior telling him that I'm coming in one month, Time pases, I'm not there. He reads some my new posts and goes again to boss talling him "No no, sir hi is coming in 3 months time".

After third time it wouldn't be wise for that guy to go to his superior and telling him anything involving me. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We did not ear our own ! We simply stole other regiments animal mascots. ;)Ram stew goes down rather well when squaddies are searching everywhere for their prized animal which has the honorary rank of Cpl. Serves them right for having dozy sentries.:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We did not ear our own ! We simply stole other regiments animal mascots. ;)Ram stew goes down rather well when squaddies are searching everywhere for their prized animal which has the honorary rank of Cpl. Serves them right for having dozy sentries.:unsure:
Geez ...ya know my old man was a Butcher. I could not do it. I'm a real Softy with animals. The only ones i would kill are these horrible wild African dogs. They Rip their prey apart. Eat them Alive

Last edited: