a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion certificate demand

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
Hello to everybody :)

Due to a medical reason, I was kicked out of the Legion after 4 months. That was in March 2016.
I wanted to know, does anybody know how can I adress the Legion to send me my certificates I obtained (PSC1, modules, arms handling, technical..)?
I've talking with a Lieutenant-Colonel I know, he's in the administration in the regular French army and he told me that I should send a letter to the Legion, to Aubagne exactly to demand my ESS (État Signalétique des Services) or something along those lines.
I wanted to know if any of you has some experience with that or does anybody know something how that goes or if it's even possible to get my certificats.

Thanks in advance ;)

ST

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) I wanted to know, does anybody know how can I adress the Legion to send me my certificates I obtained (PSC1, modules, arms handling, technical..)? (...)
Didn't you receive all those documents along with your ESS upon leaving the Legion?

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
I only received few papers stating why I was discharged and one to pick up the money from the bank.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
You should gave gotten your ESS in Aubagne when you left. It's quite weird that you didn't... Maybe that discharge paper replaces the ESS since you were in for such a short time? As for the other certificates: those are usually given to you after you complete the certification, if you don't have it then you don't have it. But out of the stuff you do in Castel... you'd only get a real diploma for PSC1. And to be honest if you really need that (I don't see why you would) then it's probably easier and faster to just do it again, it's only a day and a refresher never hurts.
But more to the point: instead of asking around on an internet forum, why don't you get in touch with the guys in Aubagne and ask about the ESS?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
you should gave gotten your ESS in Aubagne when you left. It's quite weird that you didn't... maybe that discharge paper replaces the ESS since you were in for such a short time? As for the other certificates: those are usually given to you after you complete the certification, if you don't have it then you don't have it. But out of the stuff you do in Castel... you'd only get a real diploma for PSC1. And to be honest if you really need that (I don't see why you would) then it's probably easier and faster to just do it again, it's only a day and a refresher never hurts.

But more to the point: instead of asking around on an internet forum, why don't you get in touch with the guys in Aubagne and ask about the ESS?

For those that do not know what an ESS is, you have already given it's meaning, basicaly it says all what you have done in your time in the legion. Things include the courses you did in instruction. Dates and marks, the courses you do in your regiment, dates and scores. The overseas tours, dates. Jumps (for the REP) where and when. Your rank that you achieved, date and marks. The echelle and echelons that you have obtained ...

It's a huge double page form that basically sums up your legion career. I'm not sure what good it would do for someone with 4 months of legion. What is worth having is your medical discharge papers, that will show why you left the legion so early. It could also be the grounds for a lawyer to sue the legion if the reason was found to be because of basic training.

Do you have this paper? Please post.

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
That's why I posted this thread, to find more about the ways to do this.. How do i need to formulate my letter, to whom exactly etc.

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
You should gave gotten your ESS in Aubagne when you left. It's quite weird that you didn't... Maybe that discharge paper replaces the ESS since you were in for such a short time? As for the other certificates: those are usually given to you after you complete the certification, if you don't have it then you don't have it. But out of the stuff you do in Castel... you'd only get a real diploma for PSC1. And to be honest if you really need that (I don't see why you would) then it's probably easier and faster to just do it again, it's only a day and a refresher never hurts.
Well, I'm looking now into some stuff I have to do so it would help me out to have such papers, and about PSC1, there's a course I want to do and I need to have it and I really don't have the time or money to go pass it somewhere else :)

UPDATE

Well, now I ran into this site: http://www.legion-etrangere.com/mdl/info_seul.php?id=307&block=25&titre=les-demandes-administratives
I would be so thankful if any of you could answer some questions I have. I've been discharged after 4 months but do I still need to ask for RSM?
Even if I tell them that I need my ESS for Pôle Emploi (unemeployment office), which I do, will they send me a copy off my ESS as well? How long will this procedure last? What certificates can I expect?

Thank you very much :).

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
1. You were ‘RSMed’ automatically the day you left the Legion.
2. Contact the flipping Legion and ask them. Nobody here can give you an exact answer.
3. If you were medically discharged the situation is crystal clear, and there is a whole administration in the Legion to help you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Do you have your medical discharge papers from the Legion? Can you copy them and post them? This will help a great deal. Thanks, and when we know where stand we will be able to help even more.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Write to:
Commandement de La Légion étrangère
Bureau des Anciens
Quartier Viénot RD 2
BP 21 355
13 784 AUBAGNE Cedex
FRANCE

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
Do you have your medicale discharge papers from the legion? Can you copy them and post them? This will help a great deal. Thanks, and when we know where stand we will be able to help even more.

Well, I got a paper stating that I was discharged and it says it's due to a medical reason, and few more other papers, just administrative stuff

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
(...) Even if I tell them that I need my ESS for Pôle Emploi (unemeployment office), which I do, will they send me a copy off my ESS as well? How long will this procedure last? What certificates can I expect?
The Pôle Emploi doesn't need your ESS. There is a specific form that goes to Pôle Emploi, surprisingly enough titled “Attestation destinée à Pôle Emploiâ€￾.

Ohh and please leave the “I don't have enough time to do a one day courseâ€￾ crap to someone else. You're writing on an internet forum and talking about taking your paperwork to Pôle Emploi, I'm pretty sure you've got a few hours to spare. PSC1 is literally one day. Money... Well that I can understand however it should be only around 60 euros if you do it with say, the Red Cross or with your local Fire Department. I highly doubt that the Legion has your PSC1 certificate hidden in a folder somewhere, you might get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The PSC1 is really the most basic course that you can get. If after what you are saying you already have, but not the card it's printed on, then go for the PS reanimation. I think that you can also sign on for a first responder defibrillator operator. I know it's not great getting sent away from the Legion with only a few months service, but don't expect them to work wonders for you.

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
Yes, I suspected that... About my time, I really don't have it, but money is a much greater issue. To sum things up, I set an appointment with Pôle Emploi to ask for a AIF (Aide Individuelle à la Formation) which is a financial help for some formations I wanted to undertake like sécurité rapprochée (bodyguard) and security driver.
The Lieutenant-colonel advised to request my ESS so I can convince Pôle Emploi in my abbilities and it would help my in an eventual later hiring process for any of these stuff.

Cheers!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I have a paper, it doesn't say inapt definitiv at all. But the paper is not at my disposal at this Moment. Should I write a letter or can it be an Email? I think it says that the paper may be subjected to the commision if a ask for it (?)
Not very clear sentence :D
A post from you dated May last year. You say in another post that your injury was like a small scar that you got in civil life... Sorry to say, but your situation looks a bit ‘fishy’. Tell us exactly what happened to you and we may help. If you have paper saying you were discharged medically from the Legion, that should be enough for Pôle Emploi. Anyway you may try to write to :

Bureau d'aide à la reconversion de la Légion étrangère
COMMANDEMENT DE LA LEGION ETRANGERE
BARLE
Quartier Viénot
B.P. 21 355
13784 AUBAGNE CEDEX

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
A post from you dated May last year. You say in another post that your injury was like a small scar that you got in civil life... Sorry to say, but your situation looks a bit ‘fishy’. Tell us exactly what happened to you and we may help. If you have paper saying you were discharged medically from the Legion, that should be enough for Pôle Emploi. (...)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30ij4zq&s=9#.WLdmb_JpuIN

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi ST, the certificate is dated March 2016. Although the Legion filing system is very good, a year after leaving will not make you a priority case. If you follow Rapace's advice (recommended), then remember to give all the necessary details such as real name, Legion name, matricule, date of joining, company in Castel and so on. If you finished Castel then you should have been given the original of your PSC1 and a copy left in your file held in the Bureau major. I don't know how it works in Castel, but there would be a record of it somewhere.
As for your ESS I'm not sure how that will be of any help, but you can always try.

Yes, I suspected that... About my time, I really don't have it, but money is a much greater issue. To sum things up, I set an appointment with Pôle Emploi to ask for a AIF (Aide Individuelle à la Formation) which is a financial help for some formations I wanted to undertake like sécurité rapprochée (bodyguard) and security driver.
The Lieutenant-colonel advised to request my ESS so I can convince Pôle Emploi in my abbilities and it would help my in an eventual later hiring process for any of these stuff.

Cheers!
Sorry ST, I didn't notice this post of yours. I'll repeat what I said before this one. I can't see how your ESS is going to help you in getting a training as a bodyguard. Basically it will say something like: joined the Legion on such a date, assigned to 4 RE for basic training (mention of the two basic courses that make up basic training), left the Legion after 4 months.
To be quite honest, it might be more of a hindrance than an advantage. If you do get the course and apply for a job as bodyguard, it might be a good idea not to mention the Legion.

SierraTango

Reaction score
Home Country
Hi ST, the certificate is dated March 2016. Although the Legion filing system is very good, a year after leaving will not make you a priority case. If you follow Rapace's advice (recommended), then remember to give all the necessary details such as real name, Legion name, matricule, date of joining, company in Castel and so on. If you finished Castel then you should have been given the original of your PSC1 and a copy left in your file held in the Bureau major. I don't know how it works in Castel, but there would be a record of it somewhere.
As for your ESS I'm not sure how that will be of any help, but you can always try.

Sorry ST, I didn't notice this post of yours. I'll repeat what I said before this one. I can't see how your ESS is going to help you in getting a training as a bodyguard. Basically it will say something like: joined the Legion on such a date, assigned to 4 RE for basic training (mention of the two basic courses that make up basic training), left the Legion after 4 months.
To be quite honest, it might be more of a hindrance than an advantage. If you do get the course and apply for a job as bodyguard, it might be a good idea not to mention the Legion.

Really? Why?

Thanks by the way :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes, but they are few and even less who won their case. ..was a dude a couple of years back, who took the Legion to the courts and won his case (forget for the mo,the reason but i ll try and find out)...he got a big pay out (how big is big?)
It's usually a french kind of thing to do. ..us foriegners just get on from where we left