a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much money did you leave the FFL with

anire123

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I have wondered, the legion pays about €1100 per month. How much did you leave thee FFL with?

The legion sounds very busy with all that marching and cleaning with a contract of 5 years.

Does that salary get saved or did you need it or use it?

Does the legion deduct money for your accommodation food etc

Did you leave with some savings after 5 years?

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I would imagine some legionnaires who saved money left with a decent amount and other legionnaires probably pissed the money away.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's all your money, you can do what you like with it. I knew a Bulgarian, Tony Hristov who called himself "Tony golden boy". After two tours with the 3 rd company he bought shares in Euro tunnel at 25 F francs a share. He would make a big show of calling the bank and telling his conseiller financier that it was "Tony golden boy" on line wanting to know how he was doing on the market. When the golden boy eventually sold his shares they were a little over 6 F francs a share.

You can wisely invest your money or you can blow it all on beer. It's your money.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It's all your money, you can do what you like with it. I knew a Bulgarian, Tony Hristov who called himself "Tony golden boy". After two tours with the 3 rd company he bought shares in Euro tunnel at 25 F francs a share. He would make a big show of calling the bank and telling his conseiller financier that it was "Tony golden boy" on line wanting to know how he was doing on the market. When the golden boy eventually sold his shares they were a little over 6 F francs a share.

You can wisely invest your money or you can blow it all on beer. It's your money.
blow it all on beer...lol. I think if you have a night out it´s ok but i did know some who went over the score. infact one guy they sent to dry out twice then kicked him out. Better to save some dough.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I joined a Royal Marines Captain earned £700.00 per annum. Yes £700.00. only.:unsure:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I have wondered, the legion pays about €1100 per month. How much did you leave thee FFL with?

The legion sounds very busy with all that marching and cleaning with a contract of 5 years.

Does that salary get saved or did you need it or use it?

Does the legion deduct money for your accommodation food etc

Did you leave with some savings after 5 years?

Accommodation and food are provided to you for first 5 y. Pay is about 1300 and 3500 for overseas missions and I believe Vigipirate to. For 5 year you can have 2 deployments (about 5 months ) and how many Vigipirate? (someone help me with this). You have to give some of your money for some equipment and you have to spend something (at least you are niggard who wouldn't buy one snickers for 5 years.
I think you can put a side half of your earnings without much deprivation.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Accommodation and food are provided to you for first 5 y. Pay is about 1300 and 3500 for overseas missions and I believe Vigipirate to. For 5 year you can have 2 deployments (about 5 months ) and how many Vigipirate? (someone help me with this). You have to give some of your money for some equipment and you have to spend something (at least you are niggard who wouldn't buy one snickers for 5 years.
I think you can put a side half of your earnings without much deprivation.
Vigipirate is the same as field pay. Extra €50 a day, even though one should not join for the money, its not too bad for those of us coming from third world countries. Almost 4 times what I currently earn give or take a few.....

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Vigipirate is the same as field pay. Extra €50 a day, even though one should not join for the money, its not too bad for those of us coming from third world countries. Almost 4 times what I currently earn give or take a few.....
Yes it´s great if you come from a poor Country.. do 10 years save & buy a house where you come from. or better still do 17.5 years. If you join About 20 or early 20s still fairly Young when you leave. Of Course don´t talk About Money when joining even if they know guys come also for Money. :LOL:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes it´s great if you come from a poor Country.. do 10 years save & buy a house where you come from. or better still do 17.5 years. If you join About 20 or early 20s still fairly Young when you leave. Of Course don´t talk About Money when joining even if they know guys come also for Money. :LOL:
From where I'm coming I can save for a house in one year or less ;). It's about 5000 to 10000 €.

Thing is, nobody wants to live here. People leaving every day, new kids or in shortage, so one of reasons I want to go to FFL is place where I'm living now.
So if someone won't nice quiet place to spend its old days, this is place to go. ;)

If I was smarter and joined with 19 years I would be now 2 years from full FFL retirement and able to do other things. But F (butt F*cked :)) Now I'm in really in bad position! Thats is life and you have to take what you get and fight for that little you get.

Business school for 4-5 years which I ain't finished, After high school I went to university where I studied mechatronics. Did that for 4 years and finished only 2 and then transfer to much easier business school. But business school is "business school" everywhere in the world so ... F that shit. (I finished BTW)

I was listening my parents and other older people around me and they didn't have idea what they talking about. Sure, they talked from perspective of time when they were in my position which is totally different from mine, so now I'm f*cked (if FFL don't take me)

I don't regret many things in my life (if any), but not joining FFL after high school is my biggest! I wouldn't have any troubles to be accepted then, I would do... OK enough of what I could do I need to focus on what I'm doing now!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
From where I'm coming I can save for a house in one year or less ;). It's about 5000 to 10000 €.

Thing is, nobody wants to live here. People leaving every day, new kids or in shortage, so one of reasons I want to go to FFL is place where I'm living now.
So if someone won't nice quiet place to spend its old days, this is place to go. ;)

If I was smarter and joined with 19 years I would be now 2 years from full FFL retirement and able to do other things. But F (butt F*cked :)) Now I'm in really in bad position! Thats is life and you have to take what you get and fight for that little you get. Business school for 4-5 years which I ain't finished,
, but business school is "business school" everywhere in the world so ... F that shit.
I was listening my parents and other older people around me and they don't have idea what they talking about. Sure, they talked from perspective when they were in my position which is totally different from mine.So now I'm f*cked (if FFL don't take me)

I don't regret many things in my life (if any), but not joining FFL after high school is my biggest! I wouldn't have any troubles to be accepted, I would ... ok enough of what I could do I need to focus on what I'm doing now!
hmmmm…..I NEED TO VISIT SOME FEMALES THERE

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
only other thing is regarding the People where you live is i am sure not everyone is so educated like you. So i would Maybe try to be very humble when you go, if you go. Not try to be a know it all. Not saying you are arrogant but you are very opininated.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
hmmmm…..I NEED TO VISIT SOME FEMALES THERE
There is almost no female here. They leave sinking boat first (Like a rats :))

You can try with Belgrade, there is plenty of them just waiting to caught someone (in their minds) rich stranger.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There is almost no female here. They leave sinking boat first (Like a rats :))

You can try with Belgrade, there is plenty of them just waiting to caught someone (in their minds) rich stranger.
I like Girls from the East... thinking of changing my Name on here to GuywellHung what do you think ? :LOL: Only joking … :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I like Girls from the East... thinking of changing my Name on here to GuywellHung what do you think ? :LOL: Only joking … :)

We have really nice girls her in Serbia and in all Ex YU countries, but as I told you you will manly find them in big city centers and many of them are gold diggers so..,

Also you can't put all east European girls under one cap, there is many differences between them and they are not all good looking

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We have really nice girls her in Serbia and in all Ex YU countries, but as I told you you will manly find them in big city centers and many of them are gold diggers so..,

Also you can't put all east European girls under one cap, there is many differences between them and they are not all good looking
well the Poles i like. Very warm & obliging . Russian Woman are OK but more after Money.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To get back on track, the legion will open an account for you with a bank, it used to be with the post office but for some reason it's now a bank. I should imagine in every regiment you will have an office representing the bank. All you have to do is take out a livret A I'm not sure what it is called in English. Anyway you can ask to have (for example) half your wages put into the livret A which unlike your current account will earn interest. If you are in a combat company you will more than likely be going overseas. Also if your intention is to stay for 17.5 years to get a retirement fund, you will have a nice little nest egg.

Let's say you join at 19 years of age, you will then retire from the legion at 36 going on 37 with a military pension paid anywhere in the world until you die + whatever you have saved in your livret A. Of course getting to the 17.5 years is a bit of a challenge not to mention getting in in the first place.