a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some clarification needed

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
Respected current and former légionnaires, respected caporals,

I salute you.

I am writting this post in order to get some facts straight about the FFL and the pre pre accession requirements because I have had this sudden burst of interest in becoming a légionnaire, for the last two weeks. Not a single day goes by without me thinking of that other life I could maybe have.

Since then, I have read and watched a large amount of video and textual material on various matters related to the legion. A lot of retired légionnaires say that there are a lot of légionnaire impostors and deserters spreading misinformation about the institution, the life there in, the training at the farm etc, etc.
I have decided to register here and ask the question myself in the hopes to get more insight because I'm not sure of what to believe in here and this is the place to get answers.

1) Is it true that they have upped the pull-ups at the accession centers from 4 to 10-15 just to get yourself trough the door recently?

2) Is it true that one is better off telling the truth at the gestapo interview instead of trying to mold the story into something that, shall we say, upps the chance for joining? (not that I would have anything to hide)

3) Is climbing rope a mandatory skill at any point during selection? And if you can't do 6 meters in 6 seconds only hands you drop out?

4) Is it true that the management wants you to spend your money on additional equipment despite being given standard issue kit, body armor, for example? Or a rucksack? (it would be desirable to buy a 'better one' so the majority of your earnings actually stays in France?)

5) As for the martial preparation for the selection process, I found Stoengs training plan, which isn't practical for me, no woods in the vicinity.. Should one focus on push-ups, dips, Luc léger, général running and pull-ups mainly? Will it be enough?

6) Is it true that the 100 people deserting per year do so not because it is 'too hard' to endure life at the barracks (meaning it's much easier later- more freedom in general) but because they have unexpected family and other matters to tend to?

7) A degree of flat feet, are they a problem?

8) How much of a plus is knowing 3-4 languages? And what about a university diploma?

9) Would you say being a légionnaire would enrich ones life somehow? I mean, I know various royalties have served in this institution, including the King of Serbia.
I understand that this is too subjective of a question, perhaps not clearly defined but do give it a shot. Enrichment means different things to different people.

10) What about the likelihood of onset PTSD?

11) Can and will the legion sentance its légionnaires to death by firing squad if they commit a major breach of some written or unwritten rule? (not that I'm intending to do any of it surely, but I found a comment somewhere from a supposed ex légionnaire stating that his friend got shot for doing something forbidden.)

Greetings from the Balkans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Andrija and welcome
If you have nothing to hide, why hide the truth ?
From what we know, this site, pull ups are now 7, but be better for you if you can do more. ..10, 15, 20. ...there is no limit but there is a minimum, and the limit is 7, or is it 4?
If firing squads exists, i wouldn't be replying to you (simple jail and extra duties or shown the door
France is a république and i to not give a kopeck about royaltie (but is true certain french,still think that we are still in the 3 rd empire (learn history )
We always have had to buy extra equipment (sports wear, compass, torches, and what ever...bullet proofs? No way
Avoid explaing political stances, what ever you might have (serves you none)
If you have éducational diplomes, bring them
How many and wich languages do you speak and can you write them too ?

Last edited:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Respected current and former légionnaires, respected caporals,

I salute you.

I am writting this post in order to get some facts straight about the FFL and the pre pre accession requirements because I have had this sudden burst of interest in becoming a légionnaire, for the last two weeks. Not a single day goes by without me thinking of that other life I could maybe have.

Since then, I have read and watched a large amount of video and textual material on various matters related to the legion. A lot of retired légionnaires say that there are a lot of légionnaire impostors and deserters spreading misinformation about the institution, the life there in, the training at the farm etc, etc.
I have decided to register here and ask the question myself in the hopes to get more insight because I'm not sure of what to believe in here and this is the place to get answers.

Is it true that they have upped the pull-ups at the accession centers from 4 to 10-15 just to get yourself trough the door recently?

Is it true that one is better off telling the truth at the gestapo interview instead of trying to mold the story into something that, shall we say, upps the chance for joining? (not that I would have anything to hide)

Is climbing rope a mandatory skill at any point during selection? And if you can't do 6 meters in 6 seconds only hands you drop out?

Is it true that the management wants you to spend your money on additional equipment despite being given standard issue kit, body armor, for example? Or a rucksack? (it would be desirable to buy a 'better one' so the majority of your earnings actually stays in France?)

As for the martial preparation for the selection process, I found Stoengs training plan, which isn't practical for me, no woods in the vicinity.. Should one focus on push-ups, dips, Luc léger, général running and pull-ups mainly? Will it be enough?

Is it true that the 100 people deserting per year do so not because it is 'too hard' to endure life at the barracks (meaning it's much easier later- more freedom in general) but because they have unexpected family and other matters to tend to?

A degree of flat feet, are they a problem?

How much of a plus is knowing 3-4 languages? And what about a university diploma?

Would you say being a légionnaire would enrich ones life somehow? I mean, I know various royalties have served in this institution, including the King of Serbia.
I understand that this is too subjective of a question, perhaps not clearly defined but do give it a shot. Enrichment means different things to different people.

What about the likelihood of onset PTSD?

Can and will the legion sentance its légionnaires to death by firing squad if they commit a major breach of some written or unwritten rule? (not that I'm intending to do any of it surely, but I found a comment somewhere from a supposed ex légionnaire stating that his friend got shot for doing something forbidden.)

Greetings from the Balkans.
The last former Legion officer to be executed was Roger Degueldre in 1962. you can check the details on google.
Enriching someone's life having served in the Legion depends on each person, ditto for PTSD
I am sure it will be helpful to know more languages and having a university diploma,, but there are many other factors that come into play to be accepted.
If you tell the truth, you would not need a good memory.
Degree of flat feet, that depends on the medical officer.
. Other younger ex or serving Legionnaires can give you the answers you the other questions.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Hello mate, legionnaires here officially warned us about this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtih0lhfFp68VNvToZFrmKg they said it is of a deserter who washed out in basic. Some said he actually said good stuff in between his bullshit but I personally decided to stay away from the whole channel when they warned us. Thought you may wanna get the heads up. Best of luck!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Andrija and welcome to the forum. I took the liberty of numbering your questions to make giving answers to particular questions easier. For Example #11 can the legion put you up against a firing squad for coming in late three times a row?

I mean seriously !

Alright I know that wasn't exactly your question.;). #3, no climbing a rope is not mandatory to join. If you have the possibility to practice it all the better. During instruction you will be tested on it.
#4 buying your own kit. let's take the rucksack as an example. It the REP, the captain of the 3rd company found a better one than the French army issue one. You may say that that is why he is a captain but to be quite honest it wasn't that hard.
1520322824746.png

It always reminded me of a navy duffel bag, because you could extend the inside to make it longer. There were no side pockets on it only on the top cover. So all your kit went inside except for what you could squeeze in the top. the carrying handles on each side were offset. Why, I have no idea.
However the bright spark who invented this came up with a stroke of genius. The top cover could be taken off and turned over as the underside was waterproof!

So the captain came up with a much better Backpack and anyone who wanted could buy it at a very reasonable price because it was bought in bulk. Now I'm sure that everyone is thinking how is it that the legion, which is a stickler on uniform can have two different models of backpacks? Good question, because no-one is forcing you to improve on your personal comfort.

A waterproof camouflaged backpack cover, which later became standard issue. The same as buying a compass. It will look pretty daft doing an orienteering course without a compass. Oh yes the legion has army issue compasses dating back to the second world war. But a Silvas is so much easier to use. And go and try signing out a prisme compass from the company stores !
1520323947117.png 1520324013549.png
The first is the army isue and the second can be bought in the foyer.

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
The last former Legion officer to be executed was Roger Degueldre in 1962. you can check the details on google.
Enriching someone's life having served in the Legion depends on each person, ditto for PTSD
I am sure it will be helpful to know more languages and having a university diploma,, but there are many other factors that come into play to be accepted.
If you tell the truth, you would not need a good memory.
Degree of flat feet, that depends on the medical officer.
. Other younger ex or serving Legionnaires can give you the answers you the other questions.
I have looked it up, Degueldre has served with distinction within the legion(a knight?) , but he took things into his own hands, I see. Thanks for the information!
Also, all forumers are welcome to join this discussion of sorts. All tips and answers are appreciated.

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
Hi Andrija and welcome to the forum. I took the liberty of numbering your questions to make giving answers to particular questions easier. For Example #11 can the legion put you up against a firing squad for coming in late three times a row?

I mean seriously !

Alright I know that wasn't exactly your question.;). #3, no climbing a rope is not mandatory to join. If you have the possibility to practice it all the better. During instruction you will be tested on it.
#4 buying your own kit. let's take the rucksack as an example. It the REP, the captain of the 3rd company found a better one than the French army issue one. You may say that that is why he is a captain but to be quite honest it wasn't that hard.
View attachment 3441

It always reminded me of a navy duffel bag, because you could extend the inside to make it longer. There were no side pockets on it only on the top cover. So all your kit went inside except for what you could squeeze in the top. the carrying handles on each side were offset. Why, I have no idea.
However the bright spark who invented this came up with a stroke of genius. The top cover could be taken off and turned over as the underside was waterproof!

So the captain came up with a much better Backpack and anyone who wanted could buy it at a very reasonable price because it was bought in bulk. Now I'm sure that everyone is thinking how is it that the legion, which is a stickler on uniform can have two different models of backpacks? Good question, because no-one is forcing you to improve on your personal comfort.

A waterproof camouflaged backpack cover, which later became standard issue. The same as buying a compass. It will look pretty daft doing an orienteering course without a compass. Oh yes the legion has army issue compasses dating back to the second world war. But a Silvas is so much easier to use. And go and try signing out a prisme compass from the company stores !
View attachment 3442 View attachment 3443
The first is the army isue and the second can be bought in the foyer.
Thanks for the thorough reply.
It makes sense, the comfort of the gear.
As for the firing squad,it might have come across as a silly thing to say but I asked because I found a guy in the comments on some site I stumbled upon by chance stating that his friend was involved in some unauthorized stuff with weapons and that he got shot because of that. Must have been a lie as there is so much désinformation on the net about the legion. Disregard in any case.

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
Hi, Andrija and welcome
If you have nothing to hide, why hide the truth ?
From what we know, this site, pull ups are now 7, but be better for you if you can do more. ..10, 15, 20. ...there is no limit but there is a minimum, and the limit is 7, or is it 4?
If firing squads exists, i wouldn't be replying to you (simple jail and extra duties or shown the door
France is a république and i to not give a kopeck about royaltie (but is true certain french,still think that we are still in the 3 rd empire (learn history )
We always have had to buy extra equipment (sports wear, compass, torches, and what ever...bullet proofs? No way
Avoid explaing political stances, what ever you might have (serves you none)
If you have éducational diplomes, bring them
How many and wich languages do you speak and can you write them too ?
Merci beaucoup caporal!
In order of ability, I speak:
English
German
French
Italian

Being best versed in English, then German, French is rusty at this time as there are no people I can practice it with although great pronunciation, and then there is Italian, good reading and speaking(pronunciation) and then some writting, that was the 1st one I have learned.
I have the gift of languages, they told me. And a degree in economics.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As for the firing squad,it might have come across as a silly thing to say but I asked because I found a guy in the comments on some site I stumbled upon by chance stating that his friend was involved in some unauthorized stuff with weapons and that he got shot because of that. Must have been a lie as there is so much désinformation on the net about the legion. Disregard in any case.

Man, I think that is scene from movie (book) deserter. :) Probably true event (Someone help me? Who read books? Peter, you read most. :))

Have In mind that was war time and he was selling weapon to the enemy!!! For that you will go in front of firing squad in any army.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Merci beaucoup caporal!
In order of ability, I speak:
English
German
French
Italian

Being best versed in English, then German, French is rusty at this time as there are no people I can practice it with although great pronunciation, and then there is Italian, good reading and speaking(pronunciation) and then some writting, that was the 1st one I have learned.
I have the gift of languages, they told me. And a degree in economics.
I think if you learned 1 more language like arabic, afghani language or any of those languages they need during deployment you will be one hell of a gold mine for the legion, not that you already aren't but will be let me put it this way a hmmm diamond mine :D you already speak 4 languages

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
I think if you learned 1 more language like arabic, afghani language or any of those languages they need during deployment you will be one hell of a gold mine for the legion, not that you already aren't but will be let me put it this way a hmmm diamond mine :D you already speak 4 languages
Hmm.. Hey thats actually a great idea! Thanks man!
I'll think about it for sure but firstly I must prepare myself physically, I'm out of FFL shape at this time sadly.. I do speak them but it's not like I'm great at all of them...

Someone told me that flat feet mean automatic disqualification on selection.. I do have a degree of flatness though I'm correcting that by walking slightly on the outer edges of my feet.. Could anyone confirm that?
Maybe it's possible to use some feet support you put in the boots, don't know the name of it in English.. Does anyone know if they allow that?

Reaction score
Home Country
Montenegro
Hello mate, legionnaires here officially warned us about this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtih0lhfFp68VNvToZFrmKg they said it is of a deserter who washed out in basic. Some said he actually said good stuff in between his bullshit but I personally decided to stay away from the whole channel when they warned us. Thought you may wanna get the heads up. Best of luck!
By the way, I came across this guy but he stuck me as not genuine so I avoided his channel.. There's something when you see a guy you intuitively know if he's bullshitting you or not.. Not so with Tomas Gast, that guy is legit.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I can't speak for the FFL. However the Cdos and Paras of my day had to wear the official kit especially when in the Depot or other barracks. The Regimental system had to be adhered to. However when operating in the field allowances were made for individual footwear, clothing and other items. As long as fighting efficiency was not impaired, sensible personal kit was acceptable. However even the USMC in Korea were astounded to see 41 Independent Cdo RM clean shaven on a daily basis. That is a fact and they were called the 'Chosin Few' after the locality in that mean, nasty and brutal war.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Greetings mate, I wouldnt worry too much about gear, a lot has changed in the modern legion.
For example 2REI is the first unit in the entire French military to test new equipment on a regimental level, the gear been given to Legionairres is top notch, as with all military issued equipment there will always be something left to desire.
It says something as well that the Legion was one of the first units in the French military to recieve the new hk416s.
Boots you probably wont get any better on civvie street without destroying your bank account, summer issue are meindel boots which are amazing quality and winter are haix nepal pros which are also fantastic boots.
The issue vest is now a CIRAS vest.

Focus more on fitness than anything else at the moment, that is your most essential piece of equipment.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I had flat feet when i joined, june 83 and now 2018, my feet are below sea level
Nowadays, you can ease the stress on your feet, with made to measure insoles (ask a Podologue to make you some. ..they scan your feet and graphique image shows up where or where not, the pressure points are.
Certain exercices can be done to help build arch. ..ask a Podologue

Someone told me that flat feet mean automatic disqualification on selection.. I do have a degree of flatness though I'm correcting that by walking slightly on the outer edges of my feet.. Could anyone confirm that?
Maybe it's possible to use some feet support you put in the boots, don't know the name of it in English.. Does anyone know if they allow that?