a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, Another that will be attempting to join

Reaction score
Home Country
England
A little update, I spoke again with the british army and was told things have changed slightly with there policies on certain issues, my issue, now they say that in 3 years I could try to join and it will be decided on a case by case basis, I would be nearly 31 then but until then there is no chance.

I then spoke with the marines, told straight up after a few calls to different places, no they would not accept me, there is no time period in which they would accept me and that was that.

You no what really does fuck me off, the fact that in the past I have been a fool, made a bad decision the same decision more than once but im in a different place now mentally, I no what I want and the person I am, but I cant be judged as the person I am now, hence why its just reconfirmed that trying to join the FFL, is the right choice for me. The marine careers person I spoke with, I said no problem, ill be trying for the FFL then, he actually laughed and said rather you than me, there not exactly ellite and a right funny bunch of people.. I was shocked, firstly that he let his person opinion come out during a simple call and didnt keep it professional and then it made me think, whats the deal with that outlook on the FFL? do some british marines carry a dodgy view of the FFL if so why?

Anyway my path to the FFL will continue, I kinda feel like why do i even want to serve a country that cant accept the person I am now anyway, least with the FFL they will at least entertain the idea of accepting me.. if they will or not remains to be seen, but least im given a chance..

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
A little update, I spoke again with the british army and was told things have changed slightly with there policies on certain issues, my issue, now they say that in 3 years I could try to join and it will be decided on a case by case basis, I would be nearly 31 then but until then there is no chance.

I love you Englishmen. You are always so polite and in control of your feelings. Can i translate this to you from polite English? They told you to Fuck of.
Come back in 3 years? Realy? If you are 21 that would make some sense this way ... just go for FFL man!

You no what really does fuck me off, the fact that in the past I have been a fool, made a bad decision the same decision more than once but im in a different place now mentally, I no what I want and the person I am, but I cant be judged as the person I am now, hence why its just reconfirmed that trying to join the FFL, is the right choice for .

Wait a minute. You say you can't be judged as person you are now?!? So how you can be judged? As person you was 5 y ago, As person you will become in 5 y? :) I just don't get it. I'm hoping that you made some mistakes while typing.

The marine careers person I spoke with, I said no problem, ill be trying for the FFL then, he actually laughed and said rather you than me, there not exactly ellite and a right funny bunch of people.. I was shocked, firstly that he let his person opinion come out during a simple call and didnt keep it professional and then it made me think, whats the deal with that outlook on the FFL? do some british marines carry a dodgy view of the FFL if so why?

Because. He is pussy! I would like to see him telling that to some legionnaire in face!

But,he was right about some things. No, legionnaires aren't ellite. He was just straight to you. But then again, you and me aren't elite candidates either? So ... Don't know what you expecting from guys joining FFL?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I love you Englishmen. You are always so polite and in control of your feelings. Can i translate this to you from polite English? They told you to Fuck of.
Come back in 3 years? Realy? If you are 21 that would make some sense this way ... just go for FFL man!

Wait a minute. You say you can't be judged as person you are now?!? So how you can be judged? As person you was 5 y ago, As person you will become in 5 y? :) I just don't get it. I'm hoping that you made some mistakes while typing.

Because. He is pussy! I would like to see him telling that to some legionnaire in face!

But,he was right about some things. No, legionnaires aren't ellite. He was just straight to you. But then again, you and me aren't elite candidates either? So ... Don't know what you expecting from guys joining FFL?

how you doing mate?

LOL, yes I was told to apply in 3 years as the issue on my medical record, the thing i was on was years ago, i came off, then fucked up again, then i came off months ago and was told you have to have 3 year off of it and then you can apply, but for now, your right, they told me to fuck off, but in an english polite way lol.. but the cut of age for infantry in the british army is 33 i think they said, so my chances with them are not all lost, but with my past on my medical record and them doing it by a case by case basis, who fucking knows if it came down to it.. but as i say, and like you said.. go for the FFL.. which I will be doing.

In regards to the being judged bit, when I said 'i no what i want and the person i am, but i cant be judged for the person i am now?' i should have put a question mark at the end of the original post.. basicaly what im saying is, we all fuck up, in different ways, make dumb decisions etc.. but why cant i be judged for who i am now? not a stupid mistake in the past that now would currently in my opinion tho not the armys, have no impact on me and my time there, but fuck em. Im not going to sit crying about it, it just makes me determination stronger to go to the FFL, ill fight for a country that will at least give me a chance as the person i am now..

I expect nothing from others joining mate, but i do expect myself to be an elite version of myself I suppose, the best that i can possibly be going into that situation, i expect nothing but the best from myself when my ass hits paris, as nothing less will be good enough in my eyes. I dont think anyone turns up there as an elite candidate, but I expect myself to be on top form, i want to be one of the best in pre selection n basic training if i make it that far.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So you didn't express yourself correctly. You shouldn't be judged by person who you were, but of course you should be judged by who you are now.

You done mistakes, you see them and now probably you trying not to repeat that again. Trying to be better version of yourself in future and present?

If this is correct than your expression does not describe what you want to say.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
So you didn't express yourself correctly. You shouldn't be judged by person who you were, but of course you should be judged by who you are now.

You done mistakes, you see them and now probably you trying not to repeat that again. Trying to be better version of yourself in future and present?

If this is correct than your expression does not describe what you want to say.

i didnt put a question mark at the end of writing my little rant 'so i cant be judged for the person i am now' maybe the post was a bit all over, but what i was getting at is it pisses me off how i feel like i cant be accepted in my country for the person i am not the person i was, and i think that is bullshit, no one is perfect. A question mark makes all the difference ey.. that will teach me for not re reading my post before pressing post.. infact im now doubting if the question mark was needed.. lol.. as i was talking about the army, i said they told me to go speak with them in 3 years, i contiuned my rant and later i said i cant be judged for the person i am now.. and that is true.. the army wont judge me for the person i am right now.. they want me to wait 3 years, when i am on no medication etc at all.. but anyway, does this evan matter? u no what i was trying to say..

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
how you doing mate?

LOL, yes I was told to apply in 3 years as the issue on my medical record, the thing i was on was years ago, i came off, then fucked up again, then i came off months ago and was told you have to have 3 year off of it and then you can apply, but for now, your right, they told me to fuck off, but in an english polite way lol.. but the cut of age for infantry in the british army is 33 i think they said, so my chances with them are not all lost, but with my past on my medical record and them doing it by a case by case basis, who fucking knows if it came down to it.. but as i say, and like you said.. go for the FFL.. which I will be doing.

In regards to the being judged bit, when I said 'i no what i want and the person i am, but i cant be judged for the person i am now?' i should have put a question mark at the end of the original post.. basicaly what im saying is, we all fuck up, in different ways, make dumb decisions etc.. but why cant i be judged for who i am now? not a stupid mistake in the past that now would currently in my opinion tho not the armys, have no impact on me and my time there, but fuck em. Im not going to sit crying about it, it just makes me determination stronger to go to the FFL, ill fight for a country that will at least give me a chance as the person i am now..

I expect nothing from others joining mate, but i do expect myself to be an elite version of myself I suppose, the best that i can possibly be going into that situation, i expect nothing but the best from myself when my ass hits paris, as nothing less will be good enough in my eyes. I dont think anyone turns up there as an elite candidate, but I expect myself to be on top form, i want to be one of the best in pre selection n basic training if i make it that far.
Hi WannaWillibe, please watch the swearing. There isn't just ex-legionnaires, legionnaires, military ex-military and those wanting to join. There's also outsiders and parents, no point in using gutter talk.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi WannaWillibe, please watch the swearing. There isn't just ex-legionnaires, legionnaires, military ex-military and those wanting to join. There's also outsiders and parents, no point in using gutter talk.

hi joseph, i was under the impression all on here are over 18 and the occasional f bomb etc would not be an issue as i have seen swearing on here. regardless. ill be mindful of it mate

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OK, I don't think that there is an age requirement to join the forum, however, if anyone should visit the forum and we are cussing and then start cussing each other (I'm not talking about you), it doesn't give that good an impression. Enough on the subject.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Cheers for the advice mate, my mind is made up for sure, and I am training, getting up at 4.45am soon as i hear the alarm im out of bed like a madman, i stand to attention, then make my bed as quick as possible and have a timer for my 1min showers, if anyone could see me who knows me would think im nuts, maybe I am lol but I dont want something like having to be up early, jump up no hesitation etc to be an issue there or it be a shock to the system, i want my body clock to be running to there times if possible , there is enough I can imagine to deal with there anyway so im not letting what I can prepare myself for be an issue even if it is a small thing like getting up at 4.45am without hesitation lol.

When did you join mate? and lol next time you have your dagger hid from you, id say once its found ill be using it lol...

When did I join ? Well after a 'senior moment', as I recall !

RMV 202910- Mne. 20/06/1956. Commissioned 2Lt. 17/04/1959- Resigned my commission 17/04/1967. Colonial Police then Queen's TA (HSF) Capt. Mainwaring :)
RMA Life Member, Green Beret Cdo Association Member- Former SF Cub member. All very easily substantiated as a nameless contributor to the forum (Non Mod) knows. So just call me Walt !
Good luck.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I wont lie, the post was a bit all over, but thats us 'polite' brits for u buddy lol.. are you going to be joining yourself dusa?
Yep, there could problems in non-verbal (typing) conversation. Often ones thought don't get interpreted right way. When you speak with someone face to face there's a lot more involved in conversation. You have intonation, hand gestures, facial expression etc. Talk is often both ways so if you didn't sure about something you can ask person with whom you are talking. This (forum) is not efficient way of communication. (In a sense I explained)

And yes men. Is (Censured by Joe's last post) when you can't serve in your country because of some stupid little (Censured by Joe's last post) you did in the past. I have similar problem. Get cut with some very small amount of weed (2g) like 15 yrs ago. And of course I'm are restricted of serving certain jobs for life! Actually I don't care. :) I wouldn't serve Serbian army even if I could.

That's why we have FFL. And that smug, (Censured by Joe's last post) marine careers person of yours can suck my Serbian (Censured by Joe's last post) ! :) Did he served FFL? Do he know something about FFL which didn't come from Van Damme movies? (Censured by Joe's last post) him! No they or not elite, many of guys there did some (Censured by Joe's last post) in past (now less than in early days ;)). But there is also guys coming from various special units who don't see future for career in their countries.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you have a certain age. ..30 +,and try to join the Legion. ..lets just say for arguments saké, you get accepted (do not think an instant, you are going to do the full hog (17 years for the miserable pension. ..the initial 5 years and basta cosi....and doubt very much you will make NCO...what ever high opinion you have of your self)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yep, there could problems in non-verbal (typing) conversation. Often ones thought don't get interpreted right way. When you speak with someone face to face there's a lot more involved in conversation. You have intonation, hand gestures, facial expression etc. Talk is often both ways so if you didn't sure about something you can ask person with whom you are talking. This (forum) is not efficient way of communication. (In a sense I explained)

And yes men. Is (Censured by Joe's last post) when you can't serve in your country because of some stupid little (Censured by Joe's last post) you did in the past. I have similar problem. Get cut with some very small amount of weed (2g) like 15 yrs ago. And of course I'm are restricted of serving certain jobs for life! Actually I don't care. :) I wouldn't serve Serbian army even if I could.

That's why we have FFL. And that smug, (Censured by Joe's last post) marine careers person of yours can suck my Serbian (Censured by Joe's last post) ! :) Did he served FFL? Do he know something about FFL which didn't come from Van Damme movies? (Censured by Joe's last post) him! No they or not elite, many of guys there did some (Censured by Joe's last post) in past (now less than in early days ;)). But there is also guys coming from various special units who don't see future for career in their countries.

Dusa, read these forum rules 3 times. copy out twice by hand and then apply them,

1. Don't spam/abuse any other member via posts, e-mails or PM (Private Messages).

2. Please respect the other members' opinions and points of view, even if there are different of yours; we cannot stress this enough: we encourage discussion and debate on this Forum, but personal attacks on others are not acceptable. An opposing opinion on a sensitive subject is not an attack, but ridiculing or insulting someone for sharing a different point of view is.

3. This place is private, we have no relations with french army, government or any french authorities.

4. We want to share information, we promote or sell nothing, and (is it useful to remind it to you?) you choose your own life. Don't ask us more than information, we do not take the responsibility of your choices and life.

5. When you register you must read the rules; we support freedom of speech, but remember than all inappropriate contents will be cancelled or deleted (1).

6. Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below.

7. We respect your privacy.

8. Although the administrators and moderators of cervens.net will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of cervens.net, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of this BBS) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

9. By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws (1).

10. The owners of cervens.net reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

11. The administrator and the moderators are always right ;) .

Reaction score
Home Country
England

Your right mate, i think sometimes its hard to read how posts are written and how they come across.

It does annoy me also that our own countries wont take us, in my case, its a bit more serious than weed and i do understand why they have policies but at the same time we should i think all get a second chance.. some of us dont change in life... others do.. id like to be judged as the person stood before them etc not judged on what most people would think when they hear what is on my medical record. Thats crazy just over 2g of weed you are never allowed to do certain jobs, u was 15,

LOL i was a bit taken back by his comment about the FFL to be honest lol.. but not everyone is a fan..

Reaction score
Home Country
England
If you have a certain age. ..30 +,and try to join the Legion. ..lets just say for arguments saké, you get accepted (do not think an instant, you are going to do the full hog (17 years for the miserable pension. ..the initial 5 years and basta cosi....and doubt very much you will make NCO...what ever high opinion you have of your self)

I will be applying when 28 mate, but say someone who does apply when say 30, there is no way they would do the full 17 years?

Reaction score
Home Country
England
It could happen and it does happen, rarely (spécialistes and well noted)

Im going to sound stupid, when u say well noted, is it simply during your time there, notes are taken about you etc to determine how well your doing etc? and am i right in thinking once in the FFL, you can be trained in specific things?