a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old but full of motivation

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi guys I'm a 36 year old from South Africa been in navy few years ago. Since then worked as sheet metal worker and doing extreme sports and racing semi pro Enduro races on motorcycle. I am married with one kid.

I have always felt like something in my life is missing and always wanted to join ffl but always thought it was open only to people from europe. I only found out about 2 months ago that any nation can join. I want to join to help make a difference in the world and to become a better person and to be part of the brotherhood. Its my dream to be with the ffl overall I'm fit and 200% motivated. I might not have real combat experience but i will do whatever is needed to prove i can be among the best.

I do Alot of Airsoft playing to try and keep my skills up to standard I know i can be a great asset for ffl. Don't just want to dream the dream i want to live it or at least give it a 100%. I dont know the meaning of the word quit if i do anything i do it as best as possible.

So in next couple of months I'm coming knocking and I'm going to do whatever it takes to be accepted.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dawid and welcome to the forum. I can see by your opening sentence you have not read much about the legion. The legion will not take you if you tell them that you are married with a child. So keep that part to yourself. No point in me telling you that you will be separated from them for a long time.

I will not pretend to understand your countries politics, I only know what I read and see on the news. One corrupt president making way for an African businessman - enough said.

Do take the time to read some of the threads concerning South Africans, visa etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I wouldnt mention airsoft to any soldier ...ever again :)
Its best i can do to keep in training as most forces use airsoft for tactical training. Im not afraid to back myself up in any situation gun or hand to hand. Training is training its what you make of it that counts. Im just using it to keep sharp and to keep my wits in my country its always a matter or staying alive. People dont know how bad it really is here in south africa. We do what we must to stay alive.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Thank you will look more into the forums.
Hi Dawid and welcome to the forum. I can see by your opening sentence you have not read much about the legion. The legion will not take you if you tell them that you are married with a child. So keep that part to yourself. No point in me telling you that you will be separated from them for a long time.

I will not pretend to understand your countries politics, I only know what I read and see on the news. One corrupt president making way for an African businessman - enough said.

Do take the time to read some of the threads concerning South Africans, visa etc.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Its best i can do to keep in training as most forces use airsoft for tactical training. Im not afraid to back myself up in any situation gun or hand to hand. Training is training its what you make of it that counts. Im just using it to keep sharp and to keep my wits in my country its always a matter or staying alive.
Welcome to forum Dawid.

You right about airsoft. It may cause giggling to old school type of soldiers who would say something like : " What ? A toy gun ? Army today isn't what it was in my time. In my time we trained same thing with real guns and live ammunition! You take 2 or 3 bullets, nurse take it out and than we drink all night. Tomorrow we would do same thing again! " :):D

Truth Is, that is really efficient way to prepare you for some aspects of real combat. Before that you would not have way (other than real fight) to experience something similar.

As you say many armies (at least those who think openly and have some money ) use it in their training.
I think laser tag gun is more in use and even better way to prepare men for combat. FFL also using it. There is video on youtube of them training with that system (I cant found it now)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dawid,

Welcome to the forum. There were many South Africans in my unit in days of yore. So highly regarded that we adopted Sarie Marais as our commando march.

In another incarnation (Colonial Police) I served with some and they were on the ball.

Take heed of those in Green. Be circumspect with comments by those in Blue (Including me !)

My unwelcome advice to you is that ; As a married man don't join. However if you go for selection don't mention it.

99% need not apply, but I did.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So I guess you are white Dawid? Is there any black legionar or wannabe from SA?

Geneticcz

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
dont mention airsoft when u go to join. and read up here on the forum on the selection threads like what are the requirements, recommendation to say and not to say etc etc.

u sound motivated/capable but at your age, getting through selection is unlikely/difficult so focus on nailing that real good.

dont go and do 5 pull ups :ROFLMAO:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
So I guess you are white Dawid? Is there any black legionar or wannabe from SA?

There have been wannabes from Lesotho and Swaziland on the Forum that were black, but does it really matter? Cant remember the one chaps name was Mangi Solweru or something along those lines....

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There have been wannabes from Lesotho and Swaziland on the Forum that were black, but does it really matter? Cant remember the one chaps name was Mangi Solweru or something along those lines....

You missed my point entirely. But that doesn't matter until you answer second thread

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There will always be black South Africans in the legion as long as the are still taking foreigners. In the legion you can be black, grey, yellow or even a red indien, and as Snafu says, who cares?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Diversity, is always a good thing (just respect the proportions, not too many or too few, of this or that. ..from what i hear, from here, Russians are plenty..too few, too many
Aye,the good auld days, when there was thèm and there was us

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
dont mention airsoft when u go to join. and read up here on the forum on the selection threads like what are the requirements, recommendation to say and not to say etc etc.

u sound motivated/capable but at your age, getting through selection is unlikely/difficult so focus on nailing that real good.

dont go and do 5 pull ups :ROFLMAO:
Im not afraid of pt seriously seems all the people worry about is can you make fitness Wize. I wont be on here if I was not ready. But thanks anyway

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dawid, already the title of your thread is a winner '...bit motivated. There is a reason why the legion puts the age limits at 17-39 years old. You are between them and motivated, sounds good to me. Now your biggest hurdle is your family. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be funny. And most of all I've been watching recently about the hard times that South Africans are having trying to make ends meet. So I can relate to your wanting to provide for your family by going to the legion.

I will repeat what I said in a previous post. Keep the family side under your hat. And be ready to not see your family for a long time and not getting much news from them.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Dawid, already the title of your thread is a winner '...bit motivated. There is a reason why the legion puts the age limits at 17-39 years old. You are between them and motivated, sounds good to me. Now your biggest hurdle is your family. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be funny. And most of all I've been watching recently about the hard times that South Africans are having trying to make ends meet. So I can relate to your wanting to provide for your family by going to the legion.

I will repeat what I said in a previous post. Keep the family side under your hat. And be ready to not see your family for a long time and not getting much news from them.
Thank you for the feedback. Yes its hard here and

Thanks for the feedback. Being away from family we used to im working away from family for months on no contact. But ill use the advice when i apply at FFL. I know what is required and im willing to do anything to prove myself. Thank you

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Welcome mate, I am a new joiner with the same intention myself, to join the FFL,You sound motivated and having a strong desire to do well and be the best you can be, in the end that will shine through im sure, and be a help on your journey, anyone with a half assed attitude in any aspect I dont believe would be right for the FFL and im sure they are weeded out quick or id like to think so. I wish you the best of luck bro.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

It's not matters to me, but obviously matters to someone. If that isn't the case we would have at least half black wannabes from SA , country with 80 % black and only 10% white population. That isn't case. I don't ask every SA her for a color of scene, but those who I know are all white.

Of course with good tradition of the forum I'll be called racist now. :)

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It's not matters to me, but obviously matters to someone. If that isn't the case we would have at least half black wannabes from SA , country with 80 % black and only 10% white population. That isn't case. I don't ask every SA her for a color of scene, but those who I know are all white.

Of course with good tradition of the forum I'll be called racist now. :)

There are a number of factors to consider regarding South Africans of colour when it comes to things like joining the legion.

Most South Africans live on or just below the poverty line, even if they could save up the money to fly to France the risk outweighs the reward. The idea of taking money that could change their life and gambling it on a dream like the legion is an irrational consideration.

Secondly South Africans tend to be xenophobic. They largely believe that one should remain where they were born and make do (which is why you never hear of any SAns on boats to Europe). They are aware of how badly they treat foreigners in their own country and don't want to subject themselves to the same hardships in foreign lands.

Thirdly, education is slowly filtering down to the lowest levels of society in SA. A recent study found that black SAns who are poor still mistrust white people (due to SAs history), so they would not dare travel to a predominantly white land with a language which they do not understand.

Lastly as SA becomes more prosperous there will be less SAns looking to go to the legion of all races. In the UK there was a huge drive by SAns called BackHome where an unpremeditated number of SAns of all races headed back home. I also know a couple of white SAns who have served in the British Forces and went back home after their service. This is also true of Legioneirs who after their 5 year contract decided to head back to SA. I'm not sure of the extent of legioneirs but most with YouTube channels are now back in SA.
If you are suggesting that someone in the Legion is actively keeping black SAns out of the legion (you may not be) I cannot speak to that.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome mate, I am a new joiner with the same intention myself, to join the FFL,You sound motivated and having a strong desire to do well and be the best you can be, in the end that will shine through im sure, and be a help on your journey, anyone with a half assed attitude in any aspect I dont believe would be right for the FFL and im sure they are weeded out quick or id like to think so. I wish you the best of luck bro.
Thank you