a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entry into france

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Hi guys,
I am planning on traveling to France to apply to the FFL in 4 weeks time from now, and was just hoping to get a bit of guidance as to how to go about entering the country. I am planning to fly into Paris airport (the flight I'm planning on taking arrives at about 1.50 pm from memory), staying one night in a hotel to try to get used to the new time zone, then heading to the Fort the next day. All of that is no prob, the bit I am worried about is customs as i enter the country. I don't need a visa from Australia, but the visa website is telling me that i need a bunch of things, including reservations for hotels for my stay. What I am thinking at this stage is to just give them proof that i have the money to buy a return ticket ‘when i leave’ (hopefully not for a few years at least!), and the reservation for the hotel for the night, and tell them I am planning of just travelling around the country/Europe.
Just hoping for someone who actually knows to tell me if this is likely to work or not? And any other tips you may have in general would be great.

Cheers,
Sheldon

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi sheldonbell94, I wouldn't worry too much about the customs. What you can do is check the internet for a cheap hotel near FdeN and copy down the address. Or if you are worried that the location may give away your intentions pick another near to the city center. Don't bother reserving it, if asked just say that you want to have a look at the room first. At that time of year the hotels will not be full and there will be plenty to choose from. One advantage is that you will be arriving in the afternoon and will have plenty of time to find/get to your hotel before it gets dark.
Be careful of pickpockets and thieves in the airport and in the streets. Anyone in the airport trying to give you a sob story about needing money, just beware that the situation in the airport is getting so bad that it was on the news. Well dressed people with well rehearsed lines wanting your money.

1. For all those that intend on joining up in Paris (Fort de Nogent), a few tips.
    By the surburban train RER from Ch-De Gaulle 1,2, take line B3 (blue colour), cost of ticket around 10 Euros, travel time, approximative 30 minutes. Get off at Chatelet-les Halles, there you will have to look for your connection A2 (orange colour), direction Boissy-St Léger. You need to get off at the station Nogent sur-Marne. Time all in all, around +1hour (depending on many things.). I have encircled Gare deLyon, for those that want to make the trip to Aubagne by themselves, by jumping on the A2 and getting off at Gare de Lyon. 1 ticket is all that is needed, to travel on, from the Airport, to destination. For the Marseilles bound, Railway ticket can be bought at Gare de Lyon.

If you go by Taxi, they will probably skin you (if you mention Legion and Fort de Nogent), the ride is around 60-80 Euros, time, depending on the trafic and so on. And most Taxi driver today are arseholes anyway.
    Address: Fort de Nogent Boulevard du 24 Aout 1944, postal code :94120 ( for the use of a GPS).

First: the plan of the RER, then location map: Nogent S/Marne and Fontenay S/Bois.

• Please note that this last info was supplied by Don Pedro in an earlier thread.

Attachments

• DSC02145.jpg
    DSC02145.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02147.jpg
    DSC02147.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply Joe. Yeh, I have had a look at hotels, and was planning on going to one of the ones a little closer to the city center (still only 6 mins drive from FdeN). Thanks for passing on the travel tips as well. How about Uber? Can they be trusted in Paris?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Uber, well... I haven't had any bad feedback apart from the usual, a few complaints about women being assaulted etc. Don't get me wrong I don't take it lightly, but that kind of thing is a danger in any taxi service anywhere. Also a while back the taxis were up in arms over them because they were taking their business.

But why not try out the French public transport, it could be part of the big journey?! I'd only taken the metro 2 times years ago in Paris. I asked a guy (in French) the last time I was over there if he would mind me looking over his shoulder to see how the system worked. Very polite and stayed next to me whilst I got my tickets. No big deal, but completely different from Marseille.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Uber, well... I haven't had any bad feedback apart from the usual, a few complaints about women being assaulted etc. Don't get me wrong I don't take it lightly, but that kind of thing is a danger in any taxi service anywhere. Also a while back the taxis were up in arms over them because they were taking their business.

But why not try out the French public transport, it could be part of the big journey?! I'd only taken the metro 2 times years ago in Paris. I asked a guy (in French) the last time I was over there if he would mind me looking over his shoulder to see how the system worked. Very polite and stayed next to me whilst I got my tickets. No big deal, but completely different from Marseille.
yeh k...

I'll keep it in mind, but literally knowing no French at all it may be a little hard. However it may be a good challenge for me, I do tend to be able to figure out the jist of other languages fairly easy when i have an idea of what I'm actually looking for.

Also, another thing I just thought of again, what happens to things like your wallet (including drivers licence, cards, and passport) and your phone when you enter the FFL? I have seen a few places where they say they take them, but wasn't sure what actually happens/if you actually get them back etc?

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
(...) Also, another thing I just thought of again, what happens to things like your wallet (including drivers licence, cards, and passport) and your phone when you enter the FFL? I have seen a few places where they say they take them, but wasn't sure what actually happens/if you actually get them back etc?
Never seen someone recommending you take a phone with you, why would you take it? Give it to family/friends. You can contact your family via a payphone before you enter a recruitment office to say goodbye. On another post, Cosgrove said you ought to take enough with you for emergency health checkups.

here is the link https://cervens.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-backpack.22188/#post-220113

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Never seen someone recommending you take a phone with you, why would you take it? give it to family/friend. You can contact your family via a payphone before you enter a recruitment office to say goodbye. On another post, Cosgrove said you ought to take enough with you for emergency health checkups
here is the link https://cervens.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-backpack.22188/#post-220113

well, i am assuming at some stage, once you have completed training, you are allowed a personal phone. i would just prefer to use the same one thats all. i realise that you wont be allowed it at all during training, that makes sense.
ok, thanks for that link!
thanks Keegan, appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
What I know is that you are allowed after basic to buy your own personal stuff laptop phone. One of the legionnaires can tell you if he actually got to use his own phone

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
yeh k..

i'll keep it in mind, but literally knowing no french at all it may be a little hard. however it may be a good challenge for me, i do tend to be able to figure out the jist of other languages fairly easy when i have an idea of what im actually looking for.

also, another thing i just thought of again, what happens to things like your wallet (including drivers licence, cards, and passport) and your phone when you enter the FFL? i have seen a few places where they say they take them, but wasnt sure what actually happens/if you actually get them back etc?
If not accepted, you get everything back. If accepted, I believe they may keep your phone etc. for a while until you get to your regiment. All papers will be kept until you finish your contract.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Regarding all your licenses, cards, phone etc. If you get in they will be kept in an envelope. You will get that envelope back once you are rectified, however long that may be. So if you plan on using the same phone, for whatever reason, then don't take it with you... find another way. The only thing you will never get back is your bank card which you will cut into pieces when you get accepted.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Arrive at Aubagne with a pre paid bank card and a cheapo phone. 1 valid piece of ID and keep the rest safe. ..at home

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Arrive at Aubange with a prepaid bank card and a cheapo phone. 1 valid piece of ID and keep the rest safe. ..at home
I was thinking about getting a card that belongs to my mom with 500 euros to be able to pass the security at the airport and hopefully when I get accepted I'll destroy it and she can ask for a new one and take back all the money from it

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Arrive at Aubagne with a pre paid bank card and a cheapo phone. 1 valid piece of ID and keep the rest safe. ..at home
Yeh, I think I'll kinda go along these lines. I had a talk to David Mason yesterday and he was advising a similar type of approach. I do have a cousin in the south of France who I may get to hold onto my personal things for me.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Tha'ts fine dude , but please refrain from mentioning DMs name... or geographical positions. The less we know = the less they know. Dig my shit? If so, am looking for a pair of pecam nuts I lost when I shat, circa 86, night club La Rose des Vents (N'Djamena, Chad). If found, please return to sender.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Tha'ts fine dude , but please refrain from mentioning DMs name... or geographical positions. The less we know = the less they know. Dig my shit? If so, am looking for a pair of pecam nuts I lost when I shat, circa 86, night club La Rose des Vents (N'Djamena, Chad). If found, please return to sender.
Sorry, I didn't think it would matter too much considering who he is now... Haha.