a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hk-416

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Is the Legion changing the FAMAS to the HK 416? I heard the French army is replacing the FAMAS this year.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The answer is ‘yes’. Already discussed in one or two different threads. Check them out.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was watching the news yesterday (France 2 20h 19 Jan) when they were talking about the soldier of the future. It compares the American soldier of the future to the French. The American, d'après la journaliste, will represent Robocop. The French soldier will be more free in his movements and will be more aware of his immediate surroundings. What I found strange was that the French soldier ‘of the future’ was carrying the good old FAMAS. Skip through to 18 mins 30.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/replay-...-20h-du-vendredi-19-janvier-2018_2558885.html

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I watched this and the technology that impressed me was the exo-squelette.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was watching the news yesterday (France 2 20h 19 Jan) when they were talking about the soldier of the future. It compares the American soldier of the future to the French. The American, d'après la journaliste, will represent Robocop. The French soldier will be more free in his movements and will be more aware of his immediate surroundings. What I found strange was that the French soldier ‘of the future’ was carrying the good old FAMAS. Skip through to 18 mins 30.
Looked like poorly researched sensationalist crap by a lazy journo to me. IMHO in the future there will be far less men in the field with western armies , drones and robots will be sent in first followed by a few elite/SF to clean up , the majority of “soldiers’ will be operating from control rooms which could be anywhere in the world. Saying that there will always be a need for human contact and policing once the sh*t has been cleaned up.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yep but we already see how wars are starting to change from classic fighting between enemy armies to something... different. Greatest challenge for soldiers of the future will be to know who is enemy and who is not. We see army patrolling its own cities in France because some citizens started war against the country in which they live and in which some of them were even born. There is no match usage of drones flying over Paris trying to distinguish good guys from bad ones with some modern recognition software.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
This has always been a problem problem with terrorists and insurgents etc , they dont wear uniforms .
Yep but now I have impression that majority of future wars will be held with men (and women) which are terrorist by most standards.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
They arrested a wannabe here in the Nîmes area the day before yesterday before he passed go and lucky for me, (preco sutra preveshee sam pio, hvala)

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
They arrested a wannabe here in the Nîmes area the day before yesterday before he passed go and lucky for me, (preco sutra preveshee sam pio, hvala)
Haha, you said “day after tomorrow I drank too much, thank you.” Do you know why they arrested the wannabe?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Senoch ? Imati li popiti nesto
No link but Google “terrorisme déjoué dans le Gard”... and here there is many like him. We are not far from Lunel (must be some kind of recrutement haven).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It can't be easy for the intelligence services. Do you wait and see who he contacts, where he he intends to place the bomb or carry out the act? Do you wait to see if he has any logistics support or do you grab him straight away in case he blows himself and his neighbors up or slips through chain?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I was watching the news yesterday (France 2 20h 19 Jan) when they were talking about the soldier of the future. It compares the American soldier of the future to the French.
Gen Barrera who we see interviewed by the journalist was commanding ‘Opération Serval’ in Mali in 2013.

They arrested a wannabe here in the Nîmes area the day before yesterday (...)
I guess you mean a “terrorist wannabe”, not a Legion one. Better to clarify...

(...) We are not far from Lunel (must be some kind of recrutement haven).
Yes, Lunel (a small town between Nîmes and Montpellier) is well-known for hosting a Muslim community, which has a significant percentage of extremists.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Was he ISIS-affiliated? Like someone claim responsibility? I guess once you mention terrorists these days it's semi-automatic to assume he is muslim. Coming from a muslim country and having a muslim background makes me feel so sad man despite the fact that i am an ex but still. The fact that nobody had to guess he is muslim and that we all took it for granted i dunno makes me more angry with my past religion than i am normally am. You know I kinda wish you would say i am wrong and that he isnt a muslim

Last edited: