a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal record

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Hello,
And yes... I know there are tons of other posts about this... I've checked them.
But would like to know if anyone knows for sure. So 5 years ago I screwed up, it's my only problem that I ever had with justice...
The info I was able to see around is that blood crimes and rape are 100% no go...
What about drug related? Are there cases of people with criminal records with trafficking charges that got into the Legion? Is there any chance of passing selection or is 100% no go too?
For the record, i wasn't arrested, I got probation and is long gone.
Thanks in advance.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Try it. Best way is to be quiet about. How did you menage to get probation for trafficking? Or you from Portugal? Aren't drugs legal there?
No one can tell you for sure, but one offence with probation shouldn't significantly reduce your chances.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So where did you have that trouble with law. In France? That could be different. If it was out of France I will tell you that shouldn't bother you much, but this way ... I dont know. I don't know no one here who had similar trouble.

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Was in portugal. Got probation because it was my first and only issue with justice.. Also background counted... Former military and working as security... But i did lost the ability to work in portugal as security due to this issue. After that i came to france and worked as security till now.

The thing is... Or i go straight about it and be honest... Or i lie about it and risk being caught lying...

If theres any known case of someone getting in with this same kind of issue... I prefer to be honest. But if its something that will 100% make me refused... Then i would risk and would avoid mentioning this issue...

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
And lying and being caught will?

Anyone know what kind of background search they do? Is it only for current warrants or everything you may have done?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What to say. Because it was in Portugal and probation shouldn't be big of a deal even if you tell them.

Common advice on this forum for your problem would be. "Don't tell them if they don't ask" ,but you can bet in your ass that they will ask did you had trouble with law. :)
So that advice do more damage than good.

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
@Le petit caporal youre marked as legionnaire... So i guess ill trust your advice and hope for the best.

If i take a recent criminal record with me, wich will come clear if i ask one for work purposes, that may help since they wont have the need to contact portugal for any other info right?

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
I know the steps to follow. Already tried around 8 years ago at Fort de Nogent, failled medicals because of 2 broken teeth.right now im finished with the dentist, and fitness is what im starting to work on.

Expect to retry in around 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback @Le petit caporal .

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

and yes... I know there are tons of other posts about this...i've checked them.

But would like to know if anyone knows for sure.

So 5 years ago i screwed up, its my only problem that i ever had with justice...

The info i was able to see around is that blood crimes and rape are 100% no go...

What about drug related? Are there cases of people with criminal records with trafficking charges that got into the legion? Is there any chance of passing selection or is 100% no go too?

For the record, i wasnt arrested, i got probation and is long gone.

Thanks in advance
Some crimes are wiped out after 5 years , certainly in Spain they are not held against you after 5 years and you can apply to have them removed from any records , it may well be worth looking into in Portugal , employ someone to check it out for you , if this is the case no need to mention it to anyone , ever.

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Some crimes are wiped out after 5 years , certainly in Spain they are not held against you after 5 years and you can apply to have them removed from any records , it may well be worth looking into in Portugal , employ someone to check it out for you , if this is the case no need to mention it to anyone , ever.
Worth a try, will try to get info about it, thanks for the tip

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Honesty will get you nothing answer the questions with closed answers keep it simple why discuss information that won’t come to light concentrate on your fitness motivation and if your lucky you may get in as bit like a lottery now as like it’s always been
If this form had been about 38 years ago I bet you a £100 quid the advise I would have got was that I would not get in due to my past. How wrong as yes I spent a bit longer going via the process and went on to do prison and jail in every legion camp I went to and tours abroad the good old days in my view but I would say that! That’s when you did spend days smashing rocks and no French tv about as my captain housed to advise me regularly but I never enlisted in the boys brigade so you messed up and took the punishment and sucked it up brings a smile to myself thinking what a prick I was when I was young free and did not give a f—k about life.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At interview keep your answers short and to the point. Look your interrogator in the eye, stay calm and keep to your story line without deviation.

Chas with T. Shirt for surviving far worse with all sorts of deprivation.

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
My only issue was being caught lying somehow...

Im not a very good lier lol... I think i will b honest about everything, and try my best at physical tests...and hope that my "criminal" past doesnt automaticly excludes me

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
My only issue was being caught lying somehow...

Im not a very good lier lol... I think i will b honest about everything, and try my best at physical tests...and hope that my "criminal" past doesnt automaticly excludes me
Well Tuga, it looks like you've made up your own mind. If you only got probation than obviously the justice system did not feel it was too bad, first time etc. Hopefully, and I think they will, the legion will think likewise.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Tell them whatever you want. Lie, too, If you want. EVERYTHING IS VOLUNTEERED INFORMATION and all that is received is all that is known...If you don't understand this and what I am saying, you are a bag of hammers!.