a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More than the 5 year contract

Lemurian

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
I've searched the forum for this but all I read is guys saying I did my time completed the 5 year contract and then left the Legion.
My question to you guys is what are the conditions or what does one have to do to stay more than the 5 year contract and pursuit a career in the Legion?
Thank you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
As Mammikoura said, as long as you are well noted there will be no problems. On the contrary around the 4 year mark, you will be asked if you wish to continue. You will be asked again at the 4 and a half year mark and sign a new contract then, in order not to have an interruption of pay.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I was called to the CO's office the day before I was going home.
If it had not been that my family had moved to Canada and I wanted to pay them a visit, I would have signed up again.
However, as it turned out I liked Canada so much that I became a Canadian citizen.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Don't worry John Wayne, You'll be pressured plenty near the 3 year mark to resign..

If you want to waste your entire life, you will. If you want to take whatever it is you learned in 5 years, and translate it into the real world, do that, too.

First, get in the legion and see it for yourself. Only then can you know what you want to do.

Lemurian

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Thanks for the replies guys. One last question please : considering once in the Legion, does the Legion conceed any days to visit your family in your home country from time to time, or once you are in the Legion you can never visit your family?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. One last question please : considering once in the Legion, does the Legion conceed any days to visit your family in your home country from time to time, or once you are in the Legion you can never visit your family?

If Mohamed can't get to the mountain, the mountain will go to Mohamed. (that is all I know about that question)

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland

You get your vacation days, the details have been discussed here in the past. What you do on your vacation is up to you.

Lemurian

Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply me, and thank you for the great news. Being able to check up on the family from time to time is my biggest concern, besides getting selected of course.
Thanks again, cheers.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To answer a number of Q's;
1. If they want you they'll offer you an Outre-mer contract (overseas assignment) around the 4 year mark, so you'll re-sign for at least a year before you go abroad.
2. Once you're rectified you can travel “homeâ€￾ on your passport. You used to be able to catch the ferry, France England, with your Mil ID, showing my age ! Consequently you could travel without getting permission first. It's easier to say sorry than ask for permission.
3. On a number of occasions Brit legs were allowed to travel ‘home’ without being rectified for funerals etc. with special permission from the Col even from Djib.
Mi dos centivos.
Obviously this was during the '80's, prolly even easier now.
Safe,
M.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Again, times changed and so has the legion. You will not have to sign on more for Opex. The grilling starts at three year mark. Gives them a bearing on what stages (training) you'll do, if you'll become Sgt, etc.

Unless you live across the ocean, everyone goes home when they want, without RSM. This is the 21st century and things changed, this is not the Legion of the 80's or even 90's. Every legionnaire has a cell phone, lots have cars, apartments, etc.

If you want to go home, then just go. Take the train, or bus to Spain, Germany, and beyond, like everyone.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Again, times changed and so has the legion. You will not have to sign on more for Opex. (...)
It still depends on many things, mainly how long you have left on your contract after the OPEX would end. They wanted me to sign one year (even though only 6 months were necessary) to go to Mali, I told them “no thanksâ€￾. That was 2013. My friend just got back from an OPEX that he had to sign a little extra for. Back in the day they wanted you to have 6 months left in your contract after the estimated return date, I don't know if that is still the case.

(...)The grilling starts at three year mark. Gives them a bearing on what stages (training) you'll do, if you'll become Sgt, etc. (...)
Just remember that you can tell them whatever you want, nothing is done until you sign the paper :p. Because the moment they know that you'll be going out soon, the same second all the good stuff stops coming your way and you get the shitty stuff. Yeah, camaraderie... (we've got the French officers to thank for that).

(...) This is not the Legion of the 80's or even 90's. Every legionnaire has a cell phone, lots have cars, apartments, etc. (...)
Better to clarify this for the ‘blues’: most of these things still require specific written approval. But yeah it only takes a single functioning brain cell to figure out how to do these things without getting caught.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Better to clarify this for the ‘blues’: most of these things still require specific written approval. But yeah it only takes a single functioning brain cell to figure out how to do these things without getting caught.
Let's not get things mixed up. Those who served in the 80s realize that it is not the same as today. We didn't have cell phones then. Why? Because they didn't exist. I've got a cell phone today, why..?
And I don't think that anyone who served in the 80s compares it with the era of Volt (50s-60s). The same as anyone serving in 20 years will not compare it with today's Legion. Times change and most of us know this; no point in comparing different eras. The képi is still the same color and everyone was present on the 24th as is tradition.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If we are going to deploy, Iraq or Afghanistan, and you did not have the time on your enlistment to cover for the whole deployment, some were and taken and they are sent home in the middle of the deployment. In the beginning of the Iraq War may on their first contract were "Involuntary Extended," not allowed to leave the Marine Corps, the US Army did the same. Your first enlistment in the United States Military if for 8-years, 4 of which are for active duty and the other are for 4-years Inactive Ready Reserves, the IRR.

Still to this day I can be recalled to the Marine Corps, I am subject to recall by the Secretary of Defense because I receive retirement pay.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Mammikoura,

Yes, that is right. Now, if you have a year left on your contract, they won't bother asking for re-signing. My mate has 9 months left, he is going and hasn't passed rapport to sign. It is true also about good stuff stopping. The Legion is notorious for abusing you in any way they can and then guilt you when they cannot anymore.
Third, yes, it is beyond me how some of these guys get caught. For the dudes who do have that one brain cell, we live good in civil on weekends and perm'. ;)

ricktn40

Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Times have changed since I left. They kept hammering you to re enlist even on the parade deck getting your discharge certificate the General shaking your hand and handing you your discharge Certificate always asks for you to stay. When he passed me he joked and said how about if I send you to Tahiti. 20 years ago. After 15 years of service you could retire with 50 percent of you last 3 years of service average pay. I have a lot of catching up to do. I enjoy the site trying to reconnect with some old mates some so old blogs from some but no activity.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Times have changed since I left. They kept hammering you to re enlist even on the parade deck getting your discharge certificate the General shaking your hand and handing you your discharge Certificate always asks for you to stay. When he passed me he joked and said how about if I send you to Tahiti. 20 years ago. After 15 years of service you could retire with 50 percent of you last 3 years of service average pay. I have a lot of catching up to do. I enjoy the site trying to reconnect with some old mates some so old blogs from some but no activity.
US Military is the same, high 3 of your last years of pay. You have a choice to take a career status bonus at the 15 year mark, $30,000 USD, and retire at 40% of your high three base salary or you can forgo the career status bonus and retire with 50%. If you go longer every year you up the retirement percentage until you reach 30-years of service, where you get 75%.

ricktn40

Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
US Military is the same, high 3 of your last years of pay. You have a choice to take a career status bonus at the 15 year mark, $30,000 USD, and retire at 40% of your high three base salary or you can forgo the career status bonus and retire with 50%. If you go longer every year you up the retirement percentage until you reach 30-years of service, where you get 75%.
I would have stayed but my mother was passing a mate of mine finished 18 years married a French gal has 5 kids draws 4200 net us dollars a month retirement went to work in Iraq as a project manager for a convoy team making 180k a year tax free and this was in 2008 so the Legion is the best foundation to pursue a retirement without a doubt.

You know folks talk that the Legion is abusive but you have to understand my Sgt-chef in instruction got assigned to Djibouti about a year after I was stationed. He always liked me, we were the same age. We ran into each other in town I invited him to the American embassy staff only. He was thrilled of course the staff spoke French hot to kick it with the Ambassador and he told me the reason we were treated that way is there is all walks of life and over 100 nationalities that enlist. A lot of thugs included and they have to treat everyone on the same level football field. He did go to say that the English make the best legionnaires. Thanks for letting me share.