a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical discharge from conscritpion

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Before reading please note my question is not about whether they accept corrected eyesight or not, I know they do if it is back beyond a certain level. My question is whether having a medical discharge from the Egyptian army due to eyesight problems will be a trouble or not.
Hello guys, I have poor eyesight but eligible to perform correction surgery and the doctor told me I will be back to 6/6. I am from Egypt so we have conscription here for a year after college. My plan was to deliberatley get a medical discharge from egyptian conscription and then perform the surgey and wait sometime to make sure everything is ok then go straight to paris. If I perform the correction surgery before I graduate (graduating next june and conscription starts in october 2018) I will get accepted in the conscription and will probably serve for 1 year and i'll probably be shipped to a paratrooper/special forces regiment because of my athletic body. If not then I will be medically discharged. Would this medical discharge affect my chances in the legion afterwards? I mean if they do their background check would they be able to figure out that I was medically discharged from the Egyptian army for eyesight problems or they won't know unless i say? And would that medical discharge really matter if my eyesight is back to 6/6? My brother has just perform the surgery with the same doctor 3 months ago and we both have identical vision problems and he is now 6/6 with no problems.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
They won't dig up your medical files from the Egyptian military. However, they will obviously know about the conscription situation in your country and they will ask you about your service... so yeah you will pretty much have to tell them that you had a medical discharge. As long as it's for eye sight and it's been corrected, I don't see a problem. Of course you should also bring the papers from the correction surgery. In the end, they will of course test your eyes when you try to join and as long as you pass those tests then it means that your eyes are good to go.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Thanks for your reply. One more thing, do I have to wait a full year after the surgery or that only applies to the parachute regiment?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for your reply. One more thing, do I have to wait a full year after the surgery or that only applies to the parachute regiment?
That applies to all regiments, however, rules can change on the whim of the medical officer.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi guys i am 4 days off from Fort de Nogent for medical consultation and today one egyptian guy was sent home after a medical test because he performed an eye laser correction less than a year. So it is 100% sure that they will send you home if you come earlier. If someone have any question i am available until 26th of December. I wish everyone Happy Christmas!

TikiK9

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
Yo rashihan! Are you at fort nogent now? Funny thing is I just bumped into that Egyptian guy today near Gare du Nord station.

capgros

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Hi guys i am 4 days off from Fort de Nogent for medical consultation and today one egyptian guy was sent home after a medical test because he performed an eye laser correction less than a year. So it is 100% sure that they will send you home if you come earlier. If someone have any question i am available until 26th of December. I wish everyone Happy Christmas!

How many pull ups did they ask you to do at the door?

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
How many pull ups did they ask you to do at the door?
They ask you to do as many as possible. Do not rely on 3 pull ups, for your safety make sure that you can do 6+. Some of the guys made 17! Every friday caporals are changing so you need to be prepared for everything. Even good at the pull ups at the "door" you can still screw up at the basic IQ test which is very easy but most of the guys failed there, we called them tourists :D

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Yo rashihan! Are you at fort nogent now? Funny thing is I just bumped into that Egyptian guy today near Gare du Nord station.
Hi TikiK9, yes he was there haha. He will return after a year in the Fort de Nogent because of his laser corrected eyes. Funny and good comrade :)
At the moment i am off the Fort de Nogent waiting for the first working day to go to a military hospital for a medical consultation.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi TikiK9, yes he was there haha. He will return after a year in the Fort de Nogent because of his laser corrected eyes. Funny and good comrade :)
At the moment i am off the Fort de Nogent waiting for the first working day to go to a military hospital for a medical consultation.

Hi rashisan, can you explain a bit about your situation? What I would like to know is did they give you an address where you can get your medical exams done. Did you try and ask to stay in F de N whilst the long weekend is on. I ask this as it will mean having to get a hotel and food etc. It may not really be a burden to you, but might well be to others.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi rashisan, can you explain a bit about your situation? What I would like to know is did they give you an address where you can get your medical exams done. Did you try and ask to stay in F de N whilst the long weekend is on. I ask this as it will mean having to get a hotel and food etc. It may not really be a burden to you, but might well be to others.
Hi Joseph,
in my case i was send to ophthalmologist in HIA Begin Paris the nearest hospital to the Fort de Nogen. They gave me a small paper with the preferred hospitals and Billet de consultation where it is explained what is your condition and for what they are sending you to the hospital. I was waiting for 3 hours before my caporal chef to give my stuff and send me to the gate. I asked him before that how many hours i have to accomplish the task and can i come back if they can't make my papers yesterday. He said you have no time limit but you can't go back without filled Billet de consultation. So after rejecting me from the hospital i called the other two in the list but at the other one they just put me at hold and the other one did not answer. The time was around 16:30...no one cares that you do not have money also you need to pay about 23 euro tax after the consultation. So i was with 50 euro and start to calculate how to survive 4 days in Paris until Tuesday. Thanks to friend that i worked for in London he sent me a money to my bank account and i reserved a cheap room for 4 days cost 114 euros. So my advice is do not go to Paris with 50 euro no bank cards etc. this is bullshit. They said in their web site no more that 50 euros but the guys are coming with thousands. Also they were carried a lot of clothes which you can wear under the mandatory uniform for candidats in Fort de Nogent. You can bring with you deodorants, hand balsam, even your electronic cigarette, nose napkins etc. No food chocolates, nuts etc. Bring a lot of coins for the vending machine and few packets of cigarettes if you are smoker. The Caporal is selling one packed for 9 euros. So bring money with you this is very important for your survivability, bring all necessary medical documents translated to french or english this will save you a lot of trouble and money later on and keep your mouth shut for things that you only know. If during the medical test some how the doctors find out be sure that you have good explanation. The truth sometimes is not your friend!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for info rashisan . Keep us informed on your story. So do you need birth certificate in French? So what test did you do, pull-ups on enter, IQ and first medical. Anything else?

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for info rashisan . Keep us informed on your story. So do you need birth certificate in French? So what test did you do, pull-ups on enter, IQ and first medical. Anything else?
We passed thru dentist as well. Before coming to Paris be sure that you do not have caries, missing front tooth is a problem. Generally when you enter the F de N you need to do pull ups at least 3 but they want as many as you can, then basic IQ test with 10 question for 10min. If you make less than 8 question right you going out. If you pass the next thing is the dentist check, after that the IQ test which is 3 parts, logic, mathematics and shapes. If you have 30% right answers you can pass if not going home strait. Next step after the IQ test is called Chang name. This is very slow process taking sometimes days just waiting someone to call you. Your name, birth date and mother father name will be changed. After a year you can bring back your real name if you wish. Next is the medical test if you passed you will have sport test the same day. First running Luck Leger then pull ups. If you are succsessfull you will sign contract and you going then to Aubagne. I am not sure how long people are staying there maybe 3 weeks before Castel. At F de N Paris you will be at least 2 weeks. This is based on the winter calculations, summer is worst. I spoke with a taiwanese guy who was 27 days there before Aubagne, then got sick there and send out for to go to a hospital. This guy came again to Paris and he passed every tests again....sad story.

p.s.
you do not need a birth certificate, i had one translated but no ones cares :)

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
What was the issue with your eyes? Did you have lasik too?
Hi Nickfury, i have some defect at the left eye which is blocking my central vision but the peripheral is good. So FFL need to know what is the cause and by their rules if you have more than 4 defects or what ever you are not good for them. In the best case i will be not a sniper as the Capitan chef said. So let see what tuesday wil happen. Fingers crossed!

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Hi Nickfury, i have some defect at the left eye which is blocking my central vision but the peripheral is good. So FFL need to know what is the cause and by their rules if you have more than 4 deffects ir what ever you are not good for them. In the best case i will be not a sniper as the Capitan chef said. So let see what tuesday wil happen. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

TikiK9

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
Hi Nickfury, i have some defect at the left eye which is blocking my central vision but the peripheral is good. So FFL need to know what is the cause and by their rules if you have more than 4 defects or what ever you are not good for them. In the best case i will be not a sniper as the Capitan chef said. So let see what tuesday wil happen. Fingers crossed!

Rashisan, good luck this tuesday, brother! Youre motivated and well disciplined. I know you'll make it in and that you truly deserve to be in there. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Rashisan, good luck this tuesday, brother! Youre motivated and well disciplined. I know you'll make it in and that you truly deserve to be in there. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!
Thanx brother, hope you will make it after 6 months, don't give up! Merry Xmas!