a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Paratrooper dies in Mali

AYF1993

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
The French Ministry of Defense announced on Sunday evening the accidental death of the paratrooper 1st class Albéric Riveta, of the 1er régiment de chasseurs parachutistes. His death occurred during an operation in Mali, in the night from Saturday to Sunday. Several of his comrades were also injured ...

On June 12, the paratrooper joined the Niger in Niamey in order to participate with his company in Operation Aquila in Mali; This operation to fight terrorist groups was carried out jointly with the Malian armed forces.

During the night of 17-18 June, when his unit was set up in the region of Tarikent, several paratroopers were wounded. Among them, the first-class Riveta fighter is urgently evacuated by helicopter to the Role 2 hospital in Gao where his death is reported around 4 am. The 23-year-old paratrooper Albéric Riveta was single and childless. He died in the service of France in the accomplishment of his mission.

May God forgive him and bless his soul !

View attachment 5855

*Maybe Mr. Rapace can give us more details because if I am not wrong he served in the same regiment, 1er RCP.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Not much I can add so far. Several soldiers from 1er RCP, were injured upon landing on a DZ in Mali after a night operational jump in an area north of Gao. One of them, 1CL Albéric Riveta of 3e Cie, died a few hours later, after his medevac.
No details were given re this incident. An inquiry is underway. Could be a weather issue (e.g. unforeseen gusts of wind). We'll see.
May 1CL Riveta, from French Polynesia (Tahiti) rest in peace under the wings of St Michael.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not much I can add so far. Several soldiers from 1er RCP, were injured upon landing on a DZ in Mali after a night operational jump in an area north of Gao. One of them, 1CL Albéric Riveta of 3e Cie, died a few hours later, after his medevac.
No details were given re this incident. An inquiry is underway. Could be a weather issue (e.g. unforeseen gusts of wind). We'll see.
May 1CL Riveta, from French Polynesia (Tahiti) rest in peace under the wings of St Michael.
May he Rest In Peace.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Eternal rest grant to him O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace, and his memory be eternal.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

I see French special forces are involved in the Mali Terror attack, a Portuguese soldier has already been killed in the operation.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I see French special forces are involved in the Mali Terror attack, a Portuguese soldier has already been killed in the operation.
Yes, but it's a different affair. A touristic resort near Bamako, the capital city of Mali, was attacked on Sunday night by terrorist. The same sort of terror attack that has already taken place in the past, in Mali, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, etc.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Ossie O sent me a couple of photos of the REP taken in early 2013, when the night jump in Timbuktu took place. No comments please
To give you an idea of how hot it is,

View attachment 5969 if you can zoom into the the face of the legionnaire on the general's left. You can see where the shades have been compared to the rest of the face.

View attachment 5970

Now check out M. Le Drian's attire, white cotton shirt, no tie, and desert shoes. Believe me it get's hot in Mali and especially coming from France during the winter which is what 666 and his fellow legionnaires are going to be doing.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ossie O sent me a couple of photos of the REP taken in early 2013, when the night jump in Timbuktu took place. No comments please
To give you an idea of how hot it is,

View attachment 5969 if you can zoom into the the face of the legionnaire on the general's left. You can see where the shades have been compared to the rest of the face.

View attachment 5970

SNow check out M. Le Drian's attire, white cotton shirt, no tie, and desert shoes. Believe me it get's hot in Mali and especially coming from France during the winter which is what 666 and his fellow legionnaires are going to be doing.

Spend a couple of summers in Iraq and you will instantly see why the Hajis are 110% Bat Shit Raving Mad. I saw kids that have never owned shoes and their feet looked like Frotos from Lord of the Rings

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Now check out Mr. Le Drian's attire, white cotton shirt, no tie, and desert shoes. Believe me it get's hot in Mali and especially coming from France during the winter which is what 666 and his fellow legionnaires are going to be doing.
For those who don't know, Jean-Yves Le Drian was the (then) Minister of Defense under Pdt Hollande. He took on the position of Minister of Foreign Affairs under Pdt Macron.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Not really recent news (this being said, to avoid any confusion). As one can see, it was in April 2015. The REP detachment boarded the planes at N'Djamena (Chad) airport and were dropped over the Salvador pass, close to the border between Niger and Libya, roughly 800 miles up North, as the crow flies (or in this case, as the Transall or the Hercules flies... :D). Something like a 2½ h flight. There's a thread somewhere where that was operation was discussed.