a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepping To Leave At The Very Beginning Of 2018, Also Have A Couple Questions

Guthrie

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings all I guess to get introductions out of the way I am a American from the State of South Carolina and am going to take the leap to France as a Legion hopeful in January. I have been around the forums for roughly a couple of years but mostly have just spent the time reading what is here and not posting. As stated above I have just a few questions and I apologize if they have been answered before but I have spent a lot of time researching what is need to be done and these are somethings I just want to double check.

1. I am buying a ticket to Marseille and then will set off from the airport to Aubagne, what is the quickest and easiest way for a non French speaker to make it the roughly 30 miles to Aubagne?

2. Besides my passport is there any other paperwork concerning me personally that is needed
to be brought along or is the passport all that is required?

3. Since I am traveling in Winter time how heavy should my clothing/street shoes be to deal with winter conditions in Marseille?

Thank you in advance to all who take the time to answer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Greetings Guthrie. Although this has been said before, I'll say it again. When you get to the arrivals terminal, go out side and turn right. You keep going until you come to a blue couloured coach with the word Marseille on it. On the Front will be written "Navette gare St Charles" There will be a ticket booth to buy your ticket. If it is closed (depending on what time you arrive) you can pay the bus driver. It costs around 9 (nine) euros. It will take you directly to the train station.

Prepare a piece of paper with the words, 'Navette" and "Gare St Charles". St Charles is pronounced San Sharle (in as much a French accent as can muster).

From there, you can take the train to Aubagne or get a cheap hotel and get over the jet lag. The train should cost somewhere around 4 (four) euros. Remember to "composter" punch your ticket before getting on board. This is done at the head of the quay in a yellow machine. Make sure you hear the 'click' of the stamp. If you see the words 'tournez votre billet' (meaning: turn your ticket dummy) keep turning it around until you hear the 'click'

The train ride is around 15 minutes. First stop Marseille Blancard, second stop Aubagne. Go right out of the train station and go straight. Avoid the McDonalds on the left. If the lure is too much avoid the cheese burgers. Keep going straight (red Lion pub on your right) through the tunnel. Do not take the road that leads off to the right, unless you want to visit the museum.

Guthrie

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My apologies for it being a repeated question, thank you for answering my first question though Joseph Cosgrove, especially in such detail, it is greatly appreciated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
My apologies for it being a repeated question, thank you for answering my first question though Joseph Cosgrove, especially in such detail, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi Guthrie, no problem about asking repeated questions. As for your other questions, anything that may back up story in the way of documents may help. I'd take only photocopies of certificates. If you have a driving license, it wouldn't hurt to take it along, you will get it back at the same time as your passport.
As for clothes and footwear, it is well worth remembering that January and February are usually the coldest months in France. Remember that you won't be in civilian clothes for too long so don't bother turning up with an expensive sheepskin jacket, the same with shoes. It might even be a good idea to turn up in a good solid pair of running/cross gym shoes.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
This is from official site

IMPORTANT:

In order to facilitate administrative procedures, please produce the following documents when applying:

Foreign applicants:

A complete birth certificate with filiation obtained less than six months before (ideally multilingual).

I don't heard that anyone carried with them birth certificate. Are?

Guthrie

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you for following up on my other two questions Joseph Cosgrove, it is greatly appreciated. And I will look to make copies of a few vital documents I have to support my story like you said when the Gestapo are looking me over. But I was wondering if the passport was the only mandatory thing needed?

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Guthrie and board

I am going to make this public because Little Guthrie really pissed me off. So, he had ask for instructions and all this from airport..
I sent him a PM, kindly telling him I would be happy to help him and grab him for the airport, IN A CAR, because logic dictates, that saves money and time, right?.
I then left my number for him to call, so I could help him and make it all the easier getting from point A to point B. Also, a fellow countryman as well(But this matters not, as I have offered to help many different men here.) All seem to have stayed home, camped out at Mcdonalds, and now this from him....

SOOOOO, I wont post his actual response, unless I get really motivated..

BUT, he writes me telling me he does not know me and he cant trust me and essentially it isn't safe for him to accept help from an American already in and serving in the legion. Then in his cute little way, said thanks..

So, Mr.G has ruined it for all, I refuse to lend a hand to anyone. American or any other nationality. So I want to say Guthrie, I hope you get knocked out of selection and F*CK YOU and if somehow you make it, I will inquire. If you make it to my Reg, when I am Cpl, I will beast you until you flee. Corvee from sun up to down. Writing the company song 50 times in French with Red and Green alternating letters. You are a real piece of shit.
Worse then Mcdonalds boy and Dus...(Yes dus, you are not in the hot seat anymore) Guthrie, you shit the bed and you are not even in it. Way to go F*CK-O.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Guthrie and board

I am going to make this public because Little Guthrie really pissed me off. So, he had ask for instructions and all this from airport..
I sent him a PM, kindly telling him I would be happy to help him and grab him for the airport, IN A CAR, because logic dictates, that saves money and time, right?.
I then left my number for him to call, so I could help him and make it all the easier getting from point A to point B. Also, a fellow countryman as well(But this matters not, as I have offered to help many different men here.) All seem to have stayed home, camped out at Mcdonalds, and now this from him....

SOOOOO, I wont post his actual response, unless I get really motivated..

BUT, he writes me telling me he does not know me and he cant trust me and essentially it isn't safe for him to accept help from an American already in and serving in the legion. Then in his cute little way, said thanks..

So, Mr.G has ruined it for all, I refuse to lend a hand to anyone. American or any other nationality. So I want to say Guthrie, I hope you get knocked out of selection and F*CK YOU and if somehow you make it, I will inquire. If you make it to my Reg, when I am Cpl, I will beast you until you flee. Corvee from sun up to down. Writing the company song 50 times in French with Red and Green alternating letters. You are a real piece of shit.
Worse then Mcdonalds boy and Dus...(Yes dus, you are not in the hot seat anymore) Guthrie, you shit the bed and you are not even in it. Way to go F*CK-O.

You're too charitable for your own good, that's not to say it isn't admirable, but if you're offering every wannabe a helping hand then it's not much surprise (or shouldn't be) when you get let down.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No moron, it saves you guys from asking all these dumb questions. Doing a moral service isn't charitable kiddo, its called a moral for a reason. It is doing the right thing. Helping those who simply cannot help themselves, so one offers a hand.
That hand I am taking away, including to you. I don't care if he is ASIAN or AMERICAN. The guy arrives in a place he has no clue about, never been to, and is completely at a loss for everything.
You retards are the F*ckers with no sense to accept some help in getting you to a new life. Have you thought about that?. Oh, I get it..

Jack wagons the lot of you.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
No moron, it saves you guys from asking all these dumb questions. Doing a moral service isn't charitable kiddo, its called a moral for a reason. It is doing the right thing. Helping those who simply cannot help themselves, so one offers a hand.
That hand I am taking away, including to you. I don't care if he is ASIAN or AMERICAN. The guy arrives in a place he has no clue about, never been to, and is completely at a loss for everything.
You retards are the F*ckers with no sense to accept some help in getting you to a new life. Have you thought about that?. Oh, I get it..

Jack wagons the lot of you.

Woah, I don't remember saying anything to warrant such a response.
I compliment you on a virtue and you go for my throat.
If the British Army decline me then I'm off to the Legion, that you can be sure of, but if you want to rescind your offer of hospitality then that's fine (I intended to go straight through the gates upon landing anyway).

This next part may come off as petty (and I don't intend it to) but the definition of charity is "the voluntary giving of help...to those in need".
If you offer someone a helping hand, when they're in need, that is the exact definition of charity.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
WOW DCLXVI you need to calm down man, your attitude is very dangerous. Your are in we are still out, we are the pussies. Most of the people nowadays are not humans remember even they walk on two legs. So who told me this... guess one ex colonel from the Bulgarian army. He saw things that we just called them Sci|Fi, so they are not guilty the guys that are pussies, they are just zombies :D Anyway I will do my best to get in and if we met someday i will shake your hand like human.

Guthrie

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
DCLXVI I politely said no to your offer of a drive to Aubagne and I never said it was because you were American or a Legionnaire, I don't know who you are and I'm not going to hop into a random strangers car on the other side of the world. Also what you are doing is not moral kindness because people who legitimately try and help someone don't go ballistic when someone politely says no, clearly there is something malicious in your intent. I don't know if you are just trolling or something is actually wrong with you since you seem fly into a rage when someone disagrees with you. You went ballistic on the South African dude on the other thread for not wanting to serve in the SA military and now you are losing your mind because someone declined your offer for a ride to Aubagne. Hopefully people read through these posts and see you are not someone to be trusted and clearly I was right to decline your offer for help just from looking at the way your acting right now.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
guthrie and board

i am going to make this public because little guthrie really pissed me off. So, he had ask for instructions and all this from airport..
I sent him a pm, kindly telling him i would be happy to help him and grab him for the airport, in a car, because logic dictates, that saves money and time, right?.
I then left my number for him to call, so i could help him and make it all the easier getting from point a to point b. Also, a fellow countryman as well(but this matters not, as i have offered to help many different men here.) all seem to have stayed home, camped out at mcdonalds, and now this from him....

Sooooo, i wont post his actual response, unless i get really motivated..

But, he writes me telling me he does not know me and he cant trust me and essentially it isn't safe for him to accept help from an american already in and serving in the legion. Then in his cute little way, said thanks..

So, mr.g has ruined it for all, i refuse to lend a hand to anyone. American or any other nationality. So i want to say guthrie, i hope you get knocked out of selection and f*ck you and if somehow you make it, i will inquire. If you make it to my reg, when i am cpl, i will beast you until you flee. Corvee from sun up to down. Writing the company song 50 times in french with red and green alternating letters. You are a real piece of shit.
Worse then mcdonalds boy and dus...(yes dus, you are not in the hot seat anymore) guthrie, you shit the bed and you are not even in it. Way to go f*ck-o.

put a f*cking ball down !!!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You are a ****ed duck gumbo. I know you received my pm well. Just one more page to print. Imagine if you made it in and came to my reg when I am your cpl?.

Guthrie

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Lol whatever dude, it is clear you are living in your own delusions imagining perceived slights under every rock. It is obvious to me from reading through the forums that you seem to enjoy verbally insulting any person you come across and making ridiculous threats on top of that too so I'm not going to keep feeding this foolishness either act normal and civil or take a hike dude. Feel free to keep stewing in your own anger though, I on the other hand am going to handle my own business like a adult and am not going to waste time arguing with you anymore.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
You want to join a military unit and a guy from the unit offers you some help when you arrive and you are too scared to accept his help? This is amazingly ridiculous. Way to screw the pooch on this one.
I just can't get over that someone could think it scary to accept a ride from a well known American serving in the legion and think they could make it in said legion without pissing themselves in fear at every opportunity. Watch out...someone might offer to shake your hand or ...gasp, share their lunch with you! :D

CanuckHopeful

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
If you're afraid of getting in a "stranger's vehicle" then wait till you meet some of your fellow wannabes.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
If you're afraid of getting in a "stranger's vehicle" then wait till you meet some of your fellow wannabes.

It's funny, all this could have been avoided if he had just said "Nah, I'm going straight in. See you soon.".

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You are a ****ed duck gumbo.

"Fecked duck gumbo", hein? Mais, I don't know if that would work. I mean, you force feed a goose, you get foie gras, which is wonderful. Feed a cow beer and massage it, you get Kobe beef. But I'm not convinced Canard à la Foutu would make a very good Gumbo, me.