a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

List of militaries that recruit foreigners

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Discussed a number of times in the past, but the good thing with this list is you can have the details. If one look into them, one notices that many countries accepting foreigners in their armed forces have some form of conditions: having dual citizenship or legal resident status, being a member of the EU for some European armies, being from certain countries (ex-Warsaw Pact for Russia, Iceland for Norway, Latin America Spanish speaking countries for Spain, Commonwealth for the UK, etc.), being Jew or having some form of Jewish descent for Israel, etc.
The Legion, has some unique or rare specificities :
• It's the only military unit accepting recruits from any country in the world, without any pre-requisite,
• It's also one of the very few forming a specific branch (along with the Gurkhas, but I don't see any other example). Otherwise, foreigners, in most cases, are simply embedded in regular military units, besides locals.
• And last but not least, it's the most famous worldwide.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) being Jew or having some form of Jewish descent for Israel, etc. (...)
Imagine backlash if some Christian country would do the same. But if it's Jewish or Muslim that is totally fine. If we would doing similar thing. There would be immediate reaction, mainly from fellow Christians.
There would be words like “It's a new Crusadeâ€￾, “How dare you to organize army based on religion?â€￾, etc. But when others doing that against us then it's totally fine. When I say "Us", yes I'm born Christian, but apart from few tradition I wouldn't call myself a believer. I'm more of an agnostic (or atheist for ignorant). Certainly do not accepting any church dogma rewritten again and again in order to more easily keep masses in submission.

We fought hundreds of years to get rid of that nonsense and get secular states. For what? To give up all that just to be ruled by religion worst and more backward from that we fought against? Only over my dead body!

To be clear, many religions have really good things in itself. They are designed as good thing. Man is religious by nature and those beliefs are there for reason. Problem start when small group of people start to abuse that mechanism by which human brain works and use it for all kinds of amoral, nasty and vicious goals. And from what I can tell all main religions doing that.

Conclusion: Please don't let them make dark ages once again!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
That wasn't the topic of the thread, but you're picking a small portion of my post (where I'm simply quoting an excerpt of the Wikipedia article) to justify going again and again on the same ranting. Dusaboss, you're getting a bit tiring...
Oh... And by the way nobody said that Israel armed forces accepting foreigners only if they are Jews or of Jewish descent is something good or commendable. Religion is one of the most important foundations of the state of Israel and that make them actually quite unpopular in a number of places (and not only in Muslim countries). But, please, don't jump on that incidental remark to reopen another can of worms... :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That wasn't the topic of the thread, but you're picking a small portion of my post (where I'm simply quoting an excerpt of the Wikipedia article) to justify going again and again on the same ranting. Dusaboss, you're getting a bit tiring...
Oh... And by the way nobody said that Israel armed forces accepting foreigners only if they are Jews or of Jewish descent is something good or commendable. Religion is one of the most important foundations of the state of Israel and that make them actually quite unpopular in a number of places (and not only in Muslim countries). But, please, don't jump on that incidental remark to reopen another can of worms... :)
Sorry. Lately I get easily upset because of current geopolitical situation and partially because of my personal situation (and long time without sex :)).