a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This has Potential

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This film has potential and I really hope that the director, producers, and actors do not turn this into another American Sniper, a horrible movie.

I believe this film will really strike a cord for all of us veterans whom have served and served in multiple wars/redeployments. I believe Veterans the world over, Legionnaires, Royal Marines, Marines, Soldiers, and all of our other Brothers in Arms, are forever bonded to each other and this movie has the potential to really drive home what it means to be one of us. I watch this three minute trailer and the back story and immediately I am drawn to some very real truths. The one scene when the Soldier is in a cab and the driver say's so you guys really kicked some ass over there, the Soldiers reaction very sharp and poignant. I know, when I returned home I did not want to go on leave back to where my family, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and etc. were because I did not want to have to answer these types of questions.

Anyway, looks like it has promise, if they used true Military Experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfUtCC4HCI

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This film has potential and I really hope that the director, producers, and actors do not turn this into another American Sniper, a horrible movie.

I believe this film will really strike a cord for all of us veterans whom have served and served in multiple wars/redeployments. I believe Veterans the world over, Legionnaires, Royal Marines, Marines, Soldiers, and all of our other Brothers in Arms, are forever bonded to each other and this movie has the potential to really drive home what it means to be one of us. I watch this three minute trailer and the back story and immediately I am drawn to some very real truths. The one scene when the Soldier is in a cab and the driver say's so you guys really kicked some ass over there, the Soldiers reaction very sharp and poignant. I know, when I returned home I did not want to go on leave back to where my family, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and etc. were because I did not want to have to answer these types of questions.

Anyway, looks like it has promise, if they used true Military Experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfUtCC4HCI

USMCRET, I'll be sure to look out for it. I still haven't seen the film Dunkirk, which I absolutely want to see. Where I live there is no cinema so we have to go to the next town. We stay over night if it's a really good film. We last went to see "live by night" because although not a war film I had just finished the book. After that we say Hacksaw ridge which although is all blood and guts had an amazing true story to it.

To watch the films, you have to go to one of the two giant shopping malls. The love of my life loves these two malls where there are always great deals on offer. Fortunately there are some bars and one of them shows Aussie Rules football. They did show Dunkirk but in the Thai language with English subtitles. No way Jose!

The Thai are not very expressive at all. I remember watching one of the Texas chainsaw films on a DVD. One of the massacred was getting chainsawed and screaming out at the top of his lungs. I decided to switch languages and put it in Thai. The same scene had the actor saying' I am in real bad pain, I am hurting' (in Thai language) with as much expression as I could imagine a priest giving to a sermon the third time that same day.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
USMCRET, I'll be sure to look out for it. I still haven't seen the film Dunkirk, which I absolutely want to see. Where I live there is no cinema so we have to go to the next town. We stay over night if it's a really good film. We last went to see "live by night" because although not a war film I had just finished the book. After that we say Hacksaw ridge which although is all blood and guts had an amazing true story to it.

To watch the films, you have to go to one of the two giant shopping malls. The love of my life loves these two malls where there are always great deals on offer. Fortunately there are some bars and one of them shows Aussie Rules football. They did show Dunkirk but in the Thai language with English subtitles. No way Jose!

The Thai are not very expressive at all. I remember watching one of the Texas chainsaw films on a DVD. One of the massacred was getting chainsawed and screaming out at the top of his lungs. I decided to switch languages and put it in Thai. The same scene had the actor saying' I am in real bad pain, I am hurting' (in Thai language) with as much expression as I could imagine a priest giving to a sermon the third time that same day.

I liked Hacksaw Ridge, thought it was good. I absolutely hated American Sniper, Clint Eastwood tends to make the Marine Corps look cartoonish in his movies. In Thailand can you get the hacked and bootleg copies? Man in Iraq the Haji's had all of the movies. Some time you'd get a good bootleg copy.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dunkirk was worth the price of admission, but then I'm a fool for all things World War II. What amazing personal stories from this war and from this great generation. There wasn't a lot of idol chit chat and BS talk, they just kind of let several angles of the same story tell themselves (which I liked). I saw a lot of stoicism, but in this situation... 'needs must'. The ending left me conflicted, you'll see why. After all, that is their job, to play on your emotion(s)...
Hope you enjoy.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
They did show Dunkirk but in the Thai language with English subtitles. No way Jose!

Synchronization usually destroy movie. Germans do that a lot.

As kid I use to watch some cartoons synchronized on Serbian, but they was synchronized really masterful. I figured out that many years later when I learned English. Movie... no. It's loses too much that way.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In Thailand can you get the hacked and bootleg copies? Man in Iraq the Haji's had all of the movies. Some time you'd get a good bootleg copy.

In Thailand you can get bootleg copies of anything.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I love all foreign films to be honest. It just gives me another perspective on things and is so refreshing when you've been spoon feed American BS all your life...

There was a Sci-Fi movie that came out around US Thanksgiving last year (so end of November) about these aliens that visited earth and wrote in circles. I felt the best line of the movie was based on the idea that what language you speak determines how you think and solve problems. This is one of the reasons that I like the Legion so much, it is a true 'melting pot'. Many languages and ideas and ways of solving problems from different angles. The Legion, though it was created with different intentions, has the potential to be a very powerful force and has demonstrated this...

One 'veteran' movie I will throw out there is a 2008 film called 'Waltz with Bashir'. It's an Israeli film about the 1982 invasion of Lebanon, all animated. I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember that it struck a cord with me. Might be worth a peek again.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I felt the best line of the movie was based on the idea that what language you speak determines how you think and solve problems. This is one of the reasons that I like the Legion so much, its is a true melting pot. Many languages and ideas and ways of solving problems from different angles.

Interesting idea, but I believe not to be true. Ye, maybe people from different parts of the world have different ways of doing things, but that is more thing of a culture and not of a language. After all, half languages on the planet are from same family (Indo-European) and all languages have common roots. Because we all have origin from a really small group of people.

What is name of that Sci-Fi movie and from what country is?

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Interesting idea, but I believe not to be true. Ye, maybe people from different parts of the world have different ways of doing things, but that is more thing of a culture and not of a language. After all, half languages on the planet are from same family (Indo-European) and all languages have common roots. Because we all have origin from a really small group of people.

What is name of that Sci-Fi movie and from what country is?

Language is part of culture. And you think half the languages on the planet is from Indo- european because of colonialism. Brazilians natives didnt speak portuguese until we were teached huh? Native south-americans spoke really different kinds of languages like "tupi" ,"guarani", "bororo". But now? Portuguese and spanish.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Language is part of culture. And you think half the languages on the planet is from Indo- european because of colonialism. Brazilians natives didnt speak portuguese until we were teached huh? Native south-americans spoke really different kinds of languages like "tupi" ,"guarani", "bororo". But now? Portuguese and spanish.

I'm quite stupid when it comes to language but I thought Brazilian was its own language that shot off from Portuguese?
Sort of like Mexican and Spanish.

Were Tupi, Guarani and Bororo like the Western Europe languages where they have similarities or were they completely different to each other?

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
US made movie called 'Arrival', came out in November 2016. It has a little bit of everything. I like the Science Fiction genre, makes me think. Anything is possible in the future...

Just saw the sequel to Bladerunner last night. Still digesting what I saw. Intense rollercoaster ride. Loved it! But I'm a very 'outside the box' thinker...

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As I see it, the Euro languages come from two sources; Greek and Roman (Latin). On the Greek side you get Russian (Ukrainian, Georgian, etc... Ahhh... maybe Finnish is a mix of both. A Fin told me one time he understood the Russians. Well, their alphabet tells the story that its Latin based.), All the Slavic languages (god! What do you think Dusa? How many dialects are there?) What about Turkish? Yep, them too (talk about a melting pot, East mets West). On the Roman (Latin) side you have Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Scandohoovian and a bastard mix of all, English...

It all depends on how far you want to go back...

Indigenous languages are very interesting, cool people. It's a fun little puzzle....

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

My mistake. I wanted to say half people on planet speak language from Indo-European family. There is much more different languages and there was even more in past. Many are died out and still dying.

Until one day all people on earth speaks one language once again and finish Tower of Babel. Hahah! Nice try, bearded old guy. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As I see it, the Euro languages come from two sources; Greek and Roman (Latin). On the Greek side you get Russian (Ukrainian, Georgian, etc... Ahhh... maybe Finnish is a mix of both. A Fin told me one time he understood the Russians. Well, their alphabet tells the story that its Latin based.), All the Slavic languages (god! What do you think Dusa?

Not really. All European languages are form Indo-European family, than you have groups. Slavic, Germanic and Romance are bigest. Greek is in group for itself. Don't have more similarity with Slavic languages than English are French.

Probably orthodox faith confused you. Or cold war east-west separation. To get clear once again Yugoslavia (Serbia) wasn't part of eastern bloc. We were Non-Aligned. There is remains of literteral iron curtain 2km from my house in form of old wire. ;)

And no Crotalus Atrox , Russian alphabet does not tells story that is Latin based. It's based (same as Latin) on old Greek alphabet, so yes got same roots.

Interesting fact for many Americans to learn: Russian "Я" is not pronounced as "R". :) Many make that mistake. I wouldn't know that just by knowing Serbian, but I learned Russian in school so i know to read that weird looking letters. "Я" sound something like "ja" or "ya" like German "yes".

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes, you are right Dusa. Greek is by itself. Latin is based on Greek. Balto-Slavic is closely related to Russian but not the same. Germanic languages are kind of off on their own too; as are the Romance languages. All are based on Indo-European. Only 46% of the world speaks an Indo-European based language...

I was mislead by the Orthodox Church! Hahaha... An Odox priest told me that Greek was the base of all those other languages. I thought I could take that as the full truth. Hahaha.... So there, full disclosure... Those damn Greeks, always trying to make more of their great heritage. Apologies... Ill just ask Dusa next time... Hehehe...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes, you are right Dusa. Greek is by itself. Latin is based on Greek. Balto-Slavic is closely related to Russian but not the same. Germanic languages are kind of off on their own too; as are the Romance languages. All are based on Indo-European. Only 46% of the world speaks an Indo-European based language...

I was mislead by the Orthodox Church! Hahaha... An Odox priest told me that Greek was the base of all those other languages. I thought I could take that as the full truth. Hahaha.... So there, full disclosure... Those damn Greeks, always trying to make more of their great heritage. Apologies... Ill just ask Dusa next time... Hehehe...

No man, you are wrong again. :) Latin is not based on Greek, only alphabet is. I mean I'm not trying to play smart-ass but I have to correct you, it's stronger than me. :cool:

All that shit about origins of languages it's pretty perplexedly. As I said, if you go back in history long enough you will find really small group of people (couple thousand I think) from which we are all have descended. That's what DNA tells us. Probably they all spoke one primitive language from which all other are emerged.

Next time don't have to ask me, just please don't ask the priest or simply just ask the google. :)

As for answer which that priest gave you there is some truth in it, but not about languages. Old Greeks are foundation of whole western culture which through the Roman Empire spread all over and on which principles we live today.

So when you watch that stupid movie about 300 Spartans, have in mind that in some way those guys died to save what we are today!

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I'm quite stupid when it comes to language but I thought Brazilian was its own language that shot off from Portuguese?
Sort of like Mexican and Spanish.

Were Tupi, Guarani and Bororo like the Western Europe languages where they have similarities or were they completely different to each other?

No, the portuguese language is one because from time to time we have a "ortographic agreement" where all countries who speak portuguese agree to make little changes to make written portuguese equal in every country. So a book published in Portuguese is the same in any country, but you have some different ascents in each country on even in different regions from Brazil. The last agreement was in 2009.

The natives languages were all different, but I am not a expert in this. Had a few classes of antropology in college but there was much more languages who died over the colonial times.

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I know that the French also have bi-yearly meetings (?) on how to keep 'real' French pure. Quebec often looks to France when it comes down to how to speak properly. The news and such, official things, are all done in proper Parisian French. Behind their backs though the French are often made fun of for being stuck up and a little too proper.

But what I really want to know is... HL+BF... How is the baby? How is the move? How are your studies? (You are not going to quit!) If in France, how is learning French coming? I read somewhere that school was something like €300-900 per semester... Inquiring minds want to know...

Crotalus Atrox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The French culture ministry in Paris have a general commission for terminology, all guided by the Académie Français. They ban foreign words from being used by regular citizens; mostly English words... Language police, if you will.
The French Academy has been around since 1635, during the reign of King Louis XIII (8th) and is the authority over the French language. In 1994 the French government passed legislation mandating (laws that tell people how to live) that official publications, contracts and advertisements be in French. So media must also obey these laws....
The Germans, the Greeks, even the Chinese are trying to do the same. Welcome to the side effects of globalization.
There are 10 members of the French Academy. Notables such as Henri Toryat, Marguerite Yourcenar, Julien Green, Eugene Ionesco, Claude Levi Strauss and Leopold Senghor. Some of the best known authors of French history where also members; La Fontain, Voltaire, Pierre Corneille, Jean Racine, Victor Hugo, Edmond Ronstand and Paul Valery.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Is it true that French (rolling) "R" have roots to some king (probably one of Louis :)) which had difficulties with speaking that letter, so he forced everyone in his palace to speak same sounding "R" as he.

After a while anyone in France who wanted to sound noble started to use same rolling "R". So we have that today. :)

Interestingly there is no much of that kind of "R" in legion.