a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

176607Mick

Unregistered
I've asked for my account to be deleted. Those of you joining the Legion, I wish you well. Pour Les Anciens you have my email, if not DM me by today and I will drop you a line all the best
Mick

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I've asked for my account to be deleted. Those of you joining the Legion, I wish you well. Pour Les Anciens you have my email, if not DM me by today and I will drop you a line all the best.
Mick
All the best Mick, well be happy to welcome you back any time. Do keep in touch from time to time, even if it's by email, I'll then pass on (with your permission) to the board what you are up to.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Damn, wish you would stick around, said it before, we need all the Anciens we can get here to give the real advice and share their knowledge and experience with the wannabes that are willing to listen. Hope you will pop back in sometime with a new account. Good luck Mick! All the best.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Mick,

Don't blame you, I came to post that because I hear you man. This place is full of guys who have served, but way back in the day. Refuse to see and realize times change and so does the Legion. Me, I am serving and know what and how the Legion is currently. These crusty old salty bastards refuse to see it. The rest are wanna/ wishes, who still think there are golden rules, which there are not. I think if these guys could just get over the fact that they actually do not know what is what in the Legion, they might benefit somehow. How? I don't know.

It is just hilarious how all these who think they know and are connected, well, it is just funny to me to see how disconnected they actually are. The thing with drugs in the Legion, is that if you were to kick out every offender who failed a drug test and went to jail one, two or 5 times, you would have to kick out a good 25% of each regiment. That is being generous with the number, too. I am not saying guys are all strung out. I am saying there are men who do drugs and get caught. What they do on weekends, is their business, but don't bring it to regiment. That isn't the case, it comes in the form of dirty U.A.

Another point is that yes, men do steroids. There is not anything the Legion can do about it and there isn't anything they do about it. It is just another fact no one cares to admit. Not everyone does it of course, but some do. Just a fact. I can understand why you would want to leave this board. Me, I struggle to stay, too. I keep thinking that somehow, the old grumpy ****ers will realize the XXth century is long gone. Especially those that have served 25 or more years ago. Let it go guys, it is dead and gone and a new breed of Legion exists.

This does not discredit any service from a man. It just means that things change. It simply is just what it is now. I do not make this so, I just exist in the world of it. The difference is that I do not subscribe to it. This comes from a moral compass I have. I know drugs are bad for you and just disgusting. Therefore, I do not do them, same with steroids. I have two college degrees in Applied Science (Exercise Science) and Biology and I know the grave affect both have on the body and the organ damage they causes, among other complications that cannot be reversed. Therefore, what does a guy who is educated in this field do? NOT DO THEM.

I won't engage in cyber arguing here. It just isn't worth it to me. If a man or woman would like to take my advice, that is great. If they do not and wish to remain in denial about things, that is their right, too. I can tell you too, the whole board. There are guys in my section that I don't trust, even with one euro. Because I know what they do... I am with everyone on that. I don't trust these guys, at all, because of the activities they do.

I can't imagine a war zone... I wish some of the things I have said were not true, I really wish they were not. But I can't change anyone or anything within the Legion and I do not ever plan to. What I can control is my behavior, and what I do. What others do is not because of me.

Anyway, Mick, be well man. I understand any man who wants away from this board. It sure has come a long way, and not in a good way. I just think it is a matter of old school vs. new school, and old school refuses but be well, if you are reading this. If not, then everyone else is.

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Mick, I have also requested that my account be deleted. My email sent to you via PM...LPN

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Mick, I have also requested that my account be deleted. My email sent to you via PM...LPN

It will be a real shame if we lose both you and Mick. I can see you guys taking a break, but why go through the request to have your account deleted. Just take a break and come back later guys! The door is always open.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Mick,

Don't blame you, I came to post that because I hear you man. This place is full of guys who have served, but way back in the day. Refuse to see and realize times change and so does the legion. Me, I am serving and know what and how the legion is currently.

These crusty old salty bastards refuse to see it. The rest are wanna/ wishes, who still think there are golden rules, which there are not.
I think if these guys could just get over the fact that they actually do not know what is what in the legion, they might benefit somehow, how?, I don't know.

ANyway, Mick, be well man. I understand any man who wants away from this board. It sure has come a long way, and not in a good way. I just think it is a matter of old school vs. new school, and old school refuses..

But be well, if you are reading this. If not, then everyone else is.

This crusty old salty bastard is well aware of the changes the Legion went through over the last 55 years.
If and when, I do dispense advice, it is always something I have learned from serving Legionnaires and from those who were not accepted.
At times we may relate how things were different than in today's Legion or for that matter in any military outfit.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This crusty old salty bastard is well aware of the changes the Legion went through over the last 55 years.
If and when, I do dispense advice, it is always something I have learned from serving Legionnaires and from those who were not accepted.
At times we may relate how things were different than in today's Legion or for that matter in any military outfit.

It's quite hard to compare the older legion with the newer legion. What is disappointing is giving the impression to outsiders, and there are many guests, that today's legion is a circus. You can get steroids and drugs at will and that it is tolerated by the hierarchy.

It kind of makes you think that the whole legion discipline has gone out the door.

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey everybody. Long story short, went to the rep for 3 weeks and asked to change to 2REI after realizing several things about life in the REP. Stayed in 2REI for a week and asked to go civil. Not at all because of punishment or physique seeing as I'm fit as a whistle, but because I realized I can have a much better life outside of the Legion. Everything 666 has said about the Legion nowadays in recent posts are 100% true. Sorry to disappoint anybody but with the many opinions I had gotten from Anciens in the regiments has driven me from the idea of staying... They all say the same thing... The Legion nowadays is nothing compared to what it once was. That's not a quote from me... All the Anciens from adjudants to the sergeants say the same.
I also had a great time in the REP while I was there and recommend it to anybody looking for a solid challenge. They are building up the desert warfare company and sending many new legionnaires there.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hey everybody. Long story short, went to the rep for 3 weeks and asked to change to 2rei after realizing several things about life in the REP. Stayed in 2Rei for a week and asked to go civil. Not at all because of punishment or physique seeing as I'm fit as a whistle, but because I realized I can have a much better life outside of the legion. Everything 666 has said about the legion nowadays in recent posts are 100% true. Sorry to disappoint anybody but with the many opinions I had gotten from anciens in the regiments has driven me from the idea of staying...they all say the same thing..the legion nowadays is nothing compared to what it once was. That's not a quote from me...all the Anciens from adjudants...to the sergeants say the same.

Dear mother of God, last time I heard about you, you were happy with your new life, what happened ?

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm still happy and am not leaving the Legion with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't see myself being content or happy staying 5 years in the Legion. When talking to the captain and other high ranks as to why I wanted to go home... They fully supported it and understood. There were a few who weren't happy with my decision as well.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I'm still happy and am not leaving the Legion with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't see myself being content or happy staying 5 years in the Legion. When talking to the captain and other high ranks as to why I wanted to go home... They fully supported it and understood. There were a few who weren't happy with my decision as well.
So are you already back in the US or still in France?

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hey everybody. Long story short, went to the rep for 3 weeks and asked to change to 2REI after realizing several things about life in the REP. Stayed in 2REI for a week and asked to go civil. Not at all because of punishment or physique seeing as I'm fit as a whistle, but because I realized I can have a much better life outside of the Legion. Everything 666 has said about the Legion nowadays in recent posts are 100% true. Sorry to disappoint anybody but with the many opinions I had gotten from Anciens in the regiments has driven me from the idea of staying... They all say the same thing... The Legion nowadays is nothing compared to what it once was. That's not a quote from me... All the Anciens from adjudants to the sergeants say the same.
I also had a great time in the REP while I was there and recommend it to anybody looking for a solid challenge. They are building up the desert warfare company and sending many new legionnaires there.
Care to elaborate?

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So are you already back in the US or still in France?
No I just got to Aubagne to get processed out and I'm leaving Aubagne next Friday. I'm gonna stay in Europe. I've got lots of friends here and plan on staying for a while. I'm just used to living a free lifestyle with a motorcycle, crazy ex-girlfriend, and doing whatever I wanted to do. I miss my liberty, and in the foreign Legion you get minimal... but then again every military has rules similar. I also don't enjoy constantly being talked down to like I'm a dog who pissed on the carpet... and normally from somebody a grade higher than me with an IQ lower than me.
To anyone currently serving or having served... mad props and stick to it. For me... I'm spending my time doing things that I enjoy with my freedom that I greatly under appreciated until coming here. The Legion has taught me a lot and I don't regret coming here at all.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
To anyone currently serving or have served...mad props and stick to it. For me...I'm spending my time doing things that I enjoy with my freedom that I greatly under appreciated until coming here.
Legion has taught me a lot and I don't regret coming here at all.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
No I just got to aubagne to be processed out and I'm leaving aubagne next Friday. I'm gonna stay in Europe for a while. I've got lots of friends here and plan on staying for a while.

I'm just used to living a free lifestyle with a motorcycle, crazy ex girlfriend, and doing whatever I wanted to do. I miss my liberty, and in the foreign legion you get minimal...but then again every military has rules similar. I also don't enjoy constantly being talked down to like I'm a dog who pissed on the carpet...and normally from somebody a grade higher than me with an IQ lower than me.

I respect u for being honest. Some on here are most like to shit on u for being a deserter and quitter, but I understand. Its a path you took that has and will lead to creating a better u. And that's important. Not saying I will quit in that circumstance, but some of us have less choices than others...

I wish u goodluck for the future.

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I agree and thank you. Some may look upon me as a quitter/deserter...let them. I didn't quit...and I'm a tough guy with a big heart...just knew I wouldn't want to stay after my conversations with some anciens in the regiments.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
All the best Justin, I hope you find what you are looking for. As they say one door closes another opens. Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am not seeking adulation of any sort. My change of profile now sums up my feelings. I suspect an exit will be a probability.

Status
Not open for further replies.