a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eczema failed army medical

roberto123

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago I failed my British army medical for eczema, the eczema is now gone and I am still interested in a career in the armed forces however I can not re apply to British army for 3 years. I originally wanted to join the Parachute regiment in the British army, so I was interested in the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment. I was interested in the Para's as I wanted to join an 'elite' infantry unit, is the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment at a similar standard, high quality training etc? I also have an interview with the Royal Marines coming up but not I am not sure if they will know that I failed the army medical. One last question, can you shoot left handed in the FFL? I know in Royal Marines and British Army they do not allow you to, but I have heard the Famas can be used both ways. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
A few months ago I failed my British army medical for eczema, the eczema is now gone and I am still interested in a career in the armed forces however I can not re apply to British army for 3 years. I originally wanted to join the Parachute regiment in the British army, so I was interested in the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment. I was interested in the Para's as I wanted to join an 'elite' infantry unit, is the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment at a similar standard, high quality training etc? I also have an interview with the Royal Marines coming up but not I am not sure if they will know that I failed the army medical. One last question, can you shoot left handed in the FFL? I know in Royal Marines and British Army they do not allow you to, but I have heard the Famas can be used both ways. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I imagine they will only find out you failed if you tell them but they will want to know why you came to the Legion instead of your own nations army so you will need to think about what you will say.
Are you sure that the Eczema has gone?
I know that it can go for a while but then you get moments where it flares up again.

Last time I talked to a British Soldier he laughed when I asked if the Paratroopers were "elite".
He said they have to run faster and jump out of a plane 3(?) times a year to continue being a Paratrooper but that was really it.
They do the same stuff he said.
Of course that was a single British Army Infantryman and not a 2REP Legionnaire so maybe it's different.

roberto123

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This was the first time I have had eczema in 8 years, it is now gone, it might flare up in a few years but as long as I am through basic training I should be fine

roberto123

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When they ask why you came to the legion and did not go to your nations army, what sort of answers are they looking for?

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
When they ask why you came to the legion and did not go to your nations army, what sort of answers are they looking for?
I'm not sure it's worth lying, one Slovenian guy got inapte définitif because he didn't tell them he deserted from Slovenian army. I don't know what he told them when they asked that question, but they did somehow find out he deserted, they probably contacted Slovenian MOD and asked about him, if that's the case they could just phone UK MOD and ask about you and figure out if you're lying. I don't know whole lot about eczema, but if there's possibility for the disease to return and possibly infect other people that would be a serious problem. It's up to you what to do, but if you're caught lying that's game over for sure.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'm not sure it's worth lying, one Slovenian guy got inapte definitif because he didn't tell them he deserted from Slovenian army. I don't know what he told them when they asked that question, but they did somehow find out he deserted, they probably contacted Slovenian MOD and asked about him, if that's the case they could just phone UK MOD and ask about you and figure out if you're lying. I don't know whole lot about eczema, but if there's possibility for the disease to return and possibly infect other people that would be a serious problem. It's up to you what to do, but if you're caught lying that's game over for sure.

I don't think you can catch Eczema, maybe I'm wrong but my mate had it and I never had Eczema.
Eczema pretty much bars you from the British Army and I have little doubt the Legion would give the same response.

Plus I think the reason the Slovenian chap got Inapte Definitif is because he deserted, though lying may bother them off enough to mark you down as such.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No, you can't catch Eczema. It's not infectious. There is no definite knowledge what causing it. Usually Is tell-tale sing that something is wrong in your body. You should change your diet and unhealthy lifestyle. There is also other possible causes. That skin condition is also inheritable.

I didn't Google any of these.... Man, I'm smart. :cool: :) :cool:

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Just a wannabe here, but it sounds like the FFL isn't your first choice and is more of a plan B thing, on the principle that 'something is better than nothing'. I don't know how true this is in your case, but I'd say 'don't do it'. The Legion is no doubt extremely different in terms of lifestyle than what you'd have and be expecting over in the UK. I'm not saying either is better than the other, just different. Think about the differences and challenges you'd face; having to learn French from scratch, corvee, slightly harsher discipline, long contract of 5 years, inability to leave France for a few years, etc etc. These are all things to give thought to before making the call. Are you okay with all this?
If the Army won't have you for the next three years, then I'd say go for the Royal Marines. They're a respectable branch with good equipment, training and traditions, but it won't be alien to you and you won't face many unneeded hardships that you would 'dans la legion'.
As for the eczema - I'm not too familiar with it, but if it really isn't infectious as the others have said, I see no reason you should hide. I doubt the branches communicate or access each others' databases for these kinds of things, but just to be on the safe side, explain to them you were refused entry in the Army because of it, but it has since been cured and you're ready for service.
That's just my opinion tho :d
Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you find the info you need to make the right choice for yourself.
Good luck!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Eczema can be caused by some food allergies. My spouse has that problem, every time she eats milk products, it will flare up.
It may very well possible that other people get it from other food products.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Eczema is an auto immune disorder and can be caused by a number of things, from polluted air, to food to genetic predispositions.
Anyway it is unlikely they would find out that you were turned away for 3 years due to eczema. It is a whole different story to having joined and then deserted which is easier to find out. you didn't even get past the front door with the Army so the legion can't really find out anything.

I would say it is worth trying the RM first, I would guess they would share the information with the army but if they don't by some chance that would be your ticket in. Others can give better advice, but in general bureaucracies are pretty stupid and often don't share information even when they should. That can play to your advantage.

Don't mention it at all if you go to the Legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just a wannabe here, but it sounds like the FFL isn't your first choice and is more of a plan B thing, on the principle that 'something is better than nothing'. I don't know how true this is in your case, but I'd say 'don't do it'. The Legion is no doubt extremely different in terms of lifestyle than what you'd have and be expecting over in the UK. I'm not saying either is better than the other, just different. Think about the differences and challenges you'd face; having to learn French from scratch, corvee, slightly harsher discipline, long contract of 5 years, inability to leave France for a few years, etc etc. These are all things to give thought to before making the call. Are you okay with all this?
If the Army won't have you for the next three years, then I'd say go for the Royal Marines. They're a respectable branch with good equipment, training and traditions, but it won't be alien to you and you won't face many unneeded hardships that you would 'dans la legion'.
As for the eczema - I'm not too familiar with it, but if it really isn't infectious as the others have said, I see no reason you should hide. I doubt the branches communicate or access each others' databases for these kinds of things, but just to be on the safe side, explain to them you were refused entry in the Army because of it, but it has since been cured and you're ready for service.
That's just my opinion tho :d
Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you find the info you need to make the right choice for yourself.
Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Roberto123. I don't know about the HK146F - although I'm told that it can be used by both left and right handed shooters. The FAMAS certainly can with a little manipulation to the working parts. As for learning French you will be in the same boat as most of your section in Castel. And after 5 years if you decide to leave, it's always good to have on your CV along with your truck driver's license and the other qualifications that you have picked up along the way.

One think for sure is do not say that you are joining the legion because you were turned down by the Brit army because of Eczema. Get a good reason for wanting to join the legion and stick to it. There is no-way that the legion are going to telephone the Brit MoD to find out if you tried to join.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Roberto 123,

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your RM interview. Be fit for your PRMC. I suggest that it should be your first choice.

Second should be the FFL.

The RMs' are acknowledged as the most versatile of units other than SF. Albeit they do have SF elements and at only 4% of the total Brit Armed Forces they currently provide 43% of all badged SF operators. I suggest that you look at the various jobs available to a modern Marine.

If you choose the FFL route then do not mention failing your medical. No-one is going to contact the MoD or your local recruiting centre.

Kind regards,

Chas + T shirt.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Eczima can be caught by eating out of dirty gamelles...often the case of domestic animals such as dogs.Hygiène is a must..spread the word
Eczima like Zona = an immunity déficience