a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ADD in the Legion.

Truckerheino

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I'm currently trying to get myself ready to at some points go to France but I have hit a minor obstacle I hope you can help me with.

I have just been diagnosed with a case of mild ADD. Not ADHD but ADD. I'm able to function fine without medication, in fact I chose not to get medication for it, since it doesn't have that much of an effect on my daily life. Regardless it's most likely going on my medical record. Would this prevent me from enlisting?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I'm currently trying to get myself ready to at some points go to France but I have hit a minor obstacle I hope you can help me with.

I have just been diagnosed with a case of mild ADD. Not ADHD but ADD. I'm able to function fine without medication, in fact I chose not to get medication for it, since it doesn't have that much of an effect on my daily life. Regardless it's most likely going on my medical record. Would this prevent me from enlisting?
If the issue is that minor, why even mention it? I am sure that your instructor has the means to fix your attention deficit.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Just don't mention it :D
Did you serve as a conscript in the army? Which regiment?
You're also from the same city as me, quite a coincidence!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't know if ADD is real disorder at all. Young boys can't listen stupid lectures for 8 hours straight. Wow how surprising. Give them drugs so they can't fit globalist agenda of "perfect" child how will obey and listen whatever authority's command is. Yeh , why bother with them when they grow up, lets f*ck them up until they are defenseless.

I mean (now for real) There is kids with this disorders, but is far far leaser number then psychiatrists diagnose every year. There is some agenda behind that Partially is pharmaceutical mafia, but i believe that there is also other factors.

So , man. F*ck that s*th !!! If you have ADD best cure are extreme sports !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my ADD baby
This is how an angel cries
Blame it on my own sick pride
Blame it on my ADD baby
Blame it on my AD
Sail!
Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself (myself)
Blame it on my ADD baby
Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my ADD baby

Truckerheino

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Just don't mention it :D
That's not something the "Gestapo" might grill me about? According to this old legionaire's book that I'm currently reading they have a habit of knowing everything

Did you serve as a conscript in the army? Which regiment?
You're also from the same city as me, quite a coincidence!
I was in Slagelse as a husar. You're from Esbjerg aswell? Awesome!

Truckerheino

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my ADD baby
This is how an angel cries
Blame it on my own sick pride
Blame it on my ADD baby
Blame it on my AD
Sail!
Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself (myself)
Blame it on my ADD baby
Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my ADD baby

I never paid attention to those lyrics. lol

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Welcome and the best of luck in your attempt, give it your all. As Voltigeur says if it is so minor why even mention it? I mean when my Missus is boring me to death with a story that doesn't interest me I still pretend to be listening.

It's worth learning the trick, because if a corporal, during instruction, sees you staring out the window during a lesson, you'll get a wack on the back of the head.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
That's not something the "Gestapo" might grill me about? According to this old legionaire's book that I'm currently reading they have a habit of knowing everything

I was in Slagelse as a husar. You're from Esbjerg aswell? Awesome!

Cool, I was in Holstebro as a dragoon in 2016. Yeah I'm Esbjerg as well I moved away recently though.

Truckerheino

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Its good song. How do they diagnose you with ADD?

The way it's worked with me is that I went to my local doctor for a consultation. She had a series of questions that she asked me and based on my answers and the way I acted during the consultation she was able to get an idea whether I have symptoms of ADD/ADHD. After that she sent me further in the system to a psychiatrist who then did the final assessment and from there I found out if first of all if I actually have the disorder and if you do, what's the best way for you to deal with it whether it's medication, some sort of psychiatric therapy or whatever. I've opted out of the medication, but I have a meeting again this wednesday to talk about what we're going to do about it.

Truckerheino

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Cool, I was in Holstebro as a dragoon in 2016. Yeah I'm Esbjerg as well I moved away recently though.

That's awesome. I was on the AUG 2014 team myself. They didn't want to keep me though. Good thing there are places like the legion then.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
That's awesome. I was on the AUG 2014 team myself. They didn't want to keep me though. Good thing there are places like the legion then.

Damn same here, I'm trying to get back in right now but there aren't many places. Good luck to you!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The way it's worked with me is that I went to my local doctor for a consultation. She had a series of questions that she asked me and based on my answers and the way I acted during the consultation she was able to get an idea whether I have symptoms of ADD/ADHD. After that she sent me further in the system to a psychiatrist who then did the final assessment and from there I found out if first of all if I actually have the disorder and if you do, what's the best way for you to deal with it whether it's medication, some sort of psychiatric therapy or whatever. I've opted out of the medication, but I have a meeting again this wednesday to talk about what we're going to do about it.

Do you have meeting with her or with him? And is she hot enough? ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

I don't mean to hark on about this, but was the consultation set up for a reason? I mean I spent most of my school life staring out of the window, especially in summer. Was it your parents who asked for it? No problem if you don't want to go into it.

FloridaABN

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

No. And don't bring those medical records with you to Aubagne. And don't mention the subject. ADD/ADHD is radically over-diagnosed by bad teachers, followed by medical people looking for a diagnostic code to use to justify their charges.

Let the FFL decide if your attention span is long enough for the Legion. In my own brief (20+ years) military experience, I think ADD is widespread in military forces. Personally I think its correlated with promotions. I've never met a Command Sergeant Major or general officer who wasn't afflicted with an incurable case of ADD.

More seriously, I think ADD is fairly common among young recruits.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
No. And don't bring those medical records with you to Aubagne. And don't mention the subject. ADD/ADHD is radically over-diagnosed by bad teachers, followed by medical people looking for a diagnostic code to use to justify their charges.

Let the FFL decide if your attention span is long enough for the Legion. In my own brief (20+ years) military experience, I think ADD is widespread in military forces. Personally I think its correlated with promotions. I've never met a Command Sergeant Major or general officer who wasn't afflicted with an incurable case of ADD.

More seriously, I think ADD is fairly common among young recruits.

Great Advice...Listen to FloridaABN...don't mention ADD. It is waaaaay over diagnosed as he said.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Sounds like you'll make a fine platoon machinegunner. Your inability to succumb to "tunnel vision" should make you good at covering a killzone :)