a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyösti Pietiläinen/Karl Peters passed away

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
I had a few too many beers one night on Ville in Calvi shortly after my promo. Peters was with the PM's. He threw me into the back of a taxi, and told the driver that I was finished for the night. A hard, but fair man. I don't know anything about his books. Very respected at 2REP....R.I.P C/Chef.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I had a few too many beers one night on Ville in Calvi shortly after my promo. Peters was with the PM's. He threw me into the back of a taxi, and told the driver that I was finished for the night. A hard, but fair man. I don't know anything about his books. Very respected at 2REP....R.I.P C/Chef.

I spent 4 months with Peters as renfort PM. Sound guy. Just a point on the Cch stripes, the REP is the only regiment where the Cchs wear their stripes in that way. In years back when the the legion went into combat, the Junior NCOs and NCOs would fold their strips to make less of a target.

The REP kept more or less the tradition and kept their strips at that angle.

Edit; when I say the REP I'm talking only about the Cchs

Last edited:

Kenobi

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
I have read all he's books, was hoping there would be more. 100% true 100% fiction as he wrote, very entertaining.

Never knew him personally, nor met him, but i still feel sad. Very respected man he was. May he rest in peace.

Nice to see here are anciens that knew him

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From Finland. Served 28 1/2 years in the Legion in 2 REP. Became some kind of celebrity in Finland, because of his many books about his time in the Legion, which may be true or may be fiction.

Article in Finnish: http://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005270642.html

So I must say adieu to good comrade. I knew him well in the REP. As a young para a couple of times en ville he let me go. Making sure I got back to camp. Some years later I also served on the police militare as a caporal / chef and did regular patrols with him. Also did the same thing with the bloody mafia anglaise! He always used to call me Johny. He was a big beast of a man. A gentle giant.i shall miss you peters.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From Finland. Served 28 1/2 years in the Legion in 2 REP. Became some kind of celebrity in Finland, because of his many books about his time in the Legion, which may be true or may be fiction.

Article in Finnish: http://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005270642.html

Eternal rest grant to him O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace, and his memory be eternal.