a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What it's like to be American

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm an American and former Marine that will be attempting to join the French Foreign Legion this August. However, I've read a lot of shit talk about American's who want to join the Legion. But to my knowledge less than 1% of legionnaires are from America. I am just wondering just how many American legionnaires are there currently, and how many Americans attempt to join the Legion each year.

You would think that with that such the long trip it is for us, and the reputation that the French Foreign Legion has. That only the best of the best would even attempt such a feat. But with the amount of shit talked on Americans here, it makes me think that apparently there is some kind of idiot farm here. Where we purposely send over the dimmest and dumbest test subjects from our country in order to prove how stupid we are. This being said I'm sure everyone here believes that I was born in one of these idiot farms. But assuredly I was not! Unless it's Camp Pendleton, then that would kind of make sense. :cool:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just krav maga those bitches up bro! ;)

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Doesn't matter, you are not a statistic. You are going over alone and will join alone and go through selection and be evaluated alone based on your merits.

I know a few Americans in now and there are from about half a dozen to a dozen per regiment. Give or take. Just go and do your best and don't worry about the reputation of Americans, but rather the reputation you create for yourself in selection and in the Legion itself, should you make it that far.

From my experience in selection most people will be nice and friendly. A few will hate you and try to start trouble. Avoid trouble. Officers tend to be a bit skeptical of Americans but will judge you fairly based on how serious and focused you seem. Hint, save the jokes and humor with officers and NCOs until you get in, if even then. Haha, better to save it for your comrades. ;)

176607Mick

Unregistered
I'm an American and former Marine that will be attempting to join the French Foreign Legion this August. However, I've read a lot of shit talk about American's who want to join the Legion. But to my knowledge less than 1% of Legionnaires are from America. I am just wondering just how many American Legionnaires are there currently, and how many Americans attempt to join the Legion each year.

You would think that with that such the long trip it is for us, and the reputation that the French Foreign Legion has. That only the best of the best would even attempt such a feat.
But with the amount of shit talked on Americans here, it makes me think that apparently there is some kind of idiot farm here. Where we purposely send over the dimmest and dumbest test subjects from our country in order to prove how stupid we are. This being said I'm sure everyone here believes that I was born in one of these idiot farms. But assuredly I was not! Unless it's Camp Pendleton, then that would kind of make sense. :cool:
Dude you keep making the same banane chaque fois. No one cares about your nationality. It's the INDIVIDUAL that is tested. Once you get there change your defensive attitude because old boy, you will last zero seconds. The door will be shown followed by a size 10 in the hoop. Chill out or don't waste your time.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) This being said I'm sure everyone here believes that I was born in one of these idiot farms. But assuredly I was not! Unless it's Camp Pendleton, then that would kind of make sense. :cool:
What your posts show, if I may, is an egocentric type of personality who seems be doing all he can to draw the attention of the ‘public’ on himself. Not good... At all. If you ever take a trip to France, to try and join the Legion, I'd strongly advise you not to show up with this sort of attitude. You won't last long...

capgros

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Read Warren P.'s experience on this forum before even thinking to put your feet on French soil.

Auroris56

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Doesn't matter, you are not a statistic. You are going over alone and will join alone and go through selection and be evaluated alone based on your merits.

I know a few Americans in now and there are from about half a dozen to a dozen per regiment. Give or take. Just go and do your best and don't worry about the reputation of Americans, but rather the reputation you create for yourself in selection and in the Legion itself, should you make it that far.

From my experience in selection most people will be nice and friendly. A few will hate you and try to start trouble. Avoid trouble. Officers tend to be a bit skeptical of Americans but will judge you fairly based on how serious and focused you seem. Hint, save the jokes and humor with officers and NCOs until you get in, if even then. Haha, better to save it for your comrades. ;)
Thanks for the advice, that was my intent. I've worked my way through the ranks before and know how to address NCOs, and Officers. Usually it is either at parade rest or the position of attention. I am a former Sergeant and enjoyed leading my troops. Usually my sense of humor comes off as a motivational experience, that keep the troops enthusiastic.
I really miss leading men and the Marine Corps. But after I got out I gotta lot of tats. So the French Foreign Legion is my option. And a bad ass one at that! I almost wished that I would have done it sooner, besides waiting the five years that it took me to understand that I hate civil life. Thanks for your support NickFury.
Semper Fidelis!! :cool:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As a former USMC Sgt you know only too well how and when to use humour. In a subordinate position it should be kept to the minimum. It can be considered as impertinence/cheek by a superior.

In a leadership position it can be a great motivator as we both know. Remember it will be some time before you are given a section to command in the FFL. And that is subject to you being accepted. You will be at the bottom of the food chain and don't make comparisons to USMC boot camp Parris Island or San Diego. The methods are rather different.

In my days we had a charge called 'Dumb Insolence'. If you looked back at an NCO with what he deemed to be defiance you could be charged. I did so on the parade square to my DI Cpl. It was an inadvertent lapse (?). I was immediately arrested, marched off the square and thrown in cells. (Brig). Result cleaning heads with a tooth brush.

The Legion will have its own forms of peculiar discipline- so bear it in mind.

Good luck- Per Mare per Terram/Semper Fidelis.

DownAnOut

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
I would keep the “I was a SGT in the USMCâ€￾ out of the chit-chat, if you make it to basic training. They will only victimise you more.

I have a guy in my section that claims he was a LTN in his army but the guy can't even work his FAMAS correctly, even after 8 months of service in the Legion. Here, you start over from zero, keep what you learnt at the USMC and use it to push you forward and give you an edge. Don't start making comparisons like “Oh by the way in the USMC we used to do it like thisâ€￾, etc. We don't give a sh*t, here we do it our own way.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
DownAnOut,

I believe that you are currently a serving Cpl. Hence you should be in 'GREEN'. I hope all goes well with you.

DownAnOut

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
DownAnOut,

I believe that you are currently a serving Cpl. Hence you should be in 'GREEN'. I hope all goes well with you.
Thought only the moderators change that, or can I do that myself?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thought only the moderators change that?
Or can I do that myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite so but Mods will note it. As an old fart of 78 I will also give them a gentle wake up call.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would keep the “I was a SGT in the USMCâ€￾ out of the chit-chat, if you make it to basic training. They will only victimise you more.

I have a guy in my section that claims he was a LTN in his army but the guy can't even work his FAMAS correctly, even after 8 months of service in the Legion. Here, you start over from zero, keep what you learnt at the USMC and use it to push you forward and give you an edge. Don't start making comparisons like “Oh by the way in the USMC we used to do it like thisâ€￾, etc. We don't give a sh*t, here we do it our own way.
We had an ex French sous-lieutenant (2LT) with us in basic (legionnaire), the guy quickly became a friend and was really switched on. However he got a load of sh*t from two of the Sgts. Never could figure out why or why he got such a low place at the end.

DownAnOut

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
We had an ex French sous-lieutenant (2LT) with us in basic (legionnaire), the guy quickly became a friend and was really switched on. However he got a load of sh*t from two of the Sgts. Never could figure out why or why he got such a low place at the end.
Yeah this guy is a ex LTN from a eastern block country.

176607Mick

Unregistered
I miss these pull up a sandbag sessions... We had a guy who was a captain in the British army and he was nicknamed “Sirâ€￾ by all the Brits etc. He too was useful, kept Schtum about his service and used his experience to push his position further and also helped the blue bits coming through. I believe he ended up at A/Ch. Good bloke.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thought only the moderators change that, or can I do that myself?
Only the webmaster (aka “Bossâ€￾ on the forum) can change the status (and the screen name colour) of a member upon a mod's request, after we've received some ‘credentials’ to back up your claims of being a current or former legionnaire. Check you PM for the procedure.