a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Believe in yourself (also, I have question)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I agree Joe. Have to get over that, That is only first half hour over when I get up from bed. I'm so in bad mood,have no will to do anything, but as day progresses I'm back on track.

Now I train more seriously. Run every day (One day long run (5-10 km), second day sprint) and doing pull-ups. Before bed 100 - 150 push-ups and abs.

Also hit a gym 3-4 times a week. Higher number of repetition, I'm trying not to get weight just to get ripped and build up strength and endurance.

I'm not worry about thing on what i can make influence, worry that I will fail because of some stupid thing I can't change

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It's easy to make a training plan, but is wary hard to keep up with it. I'm listening stories from guys about insane amounts of workout they do, but when I check on them turns out that reality is far cry from story.

It's really hard to be dedicated, to workout properly and with high intensity. When I see some guys in gym it makes me laugh. Then talking about how they work three hours long workouts. Ninety percent of that time they just listening to the music. :) With that tempo I can train whole day long. I don't consider my training to be good if I don't bathe in sweat. Even now with temperatures around 0.

I will go to Aubagne ready. That is the least I can do.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Man! I'm so unmotivated when I wake up in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem? When I think that in the Legion getting up is in 6 or 5 every day, that looks complicated for me. :)

Could be as early as 04:30 after a night spent ironing your shirt !

Think about it before going : if you go, it is for 5 years and not less !

Bizaum

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I remember my first day in the marines, we got to bed at 1:30 am, had to get up at 3:30 am, this after what probably were the hardest day of my life so far... I was on duty on the cie yard, my time was from 2:30 to 3:00, when I got there, there was already a guy were I was supposed to be on duty, well after he disagreed with me that it was me that was on duty, I didnt try to convince him and went directly to bed lol these precious minutes... we were so tired nobody understood shee-it when the Drill SG explained to us how it worked when you were on duty...
I really miss all of this, sincerely I cant wait to finish getting my shit in order so I can get my ass to France!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bizaum,

Anyone would think you had it hard ! Tell it to the Marines as they say in the UK on any subject, civilian or military, that is debatable.
Happy Christmas.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just to say about my training progress (if someone is interested). Last time (couple months ago) when I measured time on 2600m it was more than 15 min and i was completely out of breath. Really bad result. Few days ago i try again to measure same distance. After 10 km run I speed up last 2600 m and did in 12 min with no significant effort. I could run little faster. How about 3 more months in which I should train more seriously and work on sprint little more.

Am going to gym 5 times a week. And doing all muscle groups with focus on more repetitions (10 min) I don't want to bulk up and get too much weight. I'm not satisfied with pull up, i'm dying 10 out real good ones. My goal is 15 min.

Notion that may be legionar drives me and motivate me. Without that I hadn't the will to train just for sake of good look and healthy living.

I also reduced number of beers per week (still have to work on that :))

I will do my homework and go to Aubagne at list with some decent form

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's easy to make a training plan, but is wary hard to keep up with it. I'm listening stories from guys about insane amounts of workout they do, but when I check on them turns out that reality is far cry from story.

It's really hard to be dedicated, to workout properly and with high intensity. When I see some guys in gym it makes me laugh. Then talking about how they work three hours long workouts. Ninety percent of that time they just listening to the music. :) With that tempo I can train whole day long. I don't consider my training to be good if I don't bathe in sweat. Even now with temperatures around 0.

I will go to Aubagne ready. That is the least I can do.

Good man dusaboss, but be careful of sticking to too much of a routine. It should not become clockwork. In Castel you might be woken at 2 or 3 in the morning and told to do a bunch of exercises.
Or it might not be just after your muesli and hot drinking chocolate followed by a glass of fresh orange juice. Keep up with the stamina training.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yep Joe, I'll keep that in mind. I do not have some everyday routine. Sometimes (like today) in workout in gym and run killing myself. Some days nothing, others little of training ect. Trying to build up strength, resilience and stamina. Balance between power and endurance ( you can't have both. You have to train to be Schwarzenegger or Kenyan runner :), or something in between which is my goal.)

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yep Joe, I'll keep that in mind. I do not have some everyday routine. Sometimes (like today) in workout in gym and run killing myself. Some days nothing, others little of training ect. Trying to build up strength, resilience and stamina. Balance between power and endurance ( you can't have both. You have to train to be Schwarzenegger or Kenyan runner :), or something in between which is my goal.)

Don't overdo it ! You might be run out and out of order !

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just tried beep test for first time. I managed 9.5. But my technique was really bad. Losing too much energy at lower levels, running around lines. I could easy push two more levels up for short time (that i have)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

I actually have faith in you. Remember when you go this maxim from my old Squad Sgt. " Well laddie if you can't take a joke you should never have joined."
When the shit hits the fan and you are having a tough time simply remember this quote and you will feel better. My only other advice is 'Never give in'. I expect success nothing less.

Chas- 99% need not apply. It is a state of mind.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Our section had a different outlook on it. You may see me struggle (the first:cool: month was believe you me)
But you will never see me quit !!!
Also pay attention to Stonege training programme before you go probably the best one ever posted on here.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Our section had a different outlook on it. You may see me struggle (the first:cool: month was believe you me)
But you will never see me quit !!!
Also pay attention to Stonege training programme before you go probably the best one ever posted on here.

aye. the adjutants training program is a good one. endurance in body and mind is the key!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Agree. Stoeng's program is good. I used some of he's guidelines with some modifications. What that program missing is training for beep test. At time of posting it was Cooper test on selection, so that's intelligible.

Guys who train by Stoeng's program need to add short and mid distance running and of course, beep test it self. There is lot phone apps and it's not problem to run with phone and headphones.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Agree. Stoeng's program is good. I used some of he's guidelines with some modifications. What that program missing is training for beep test. At time of posting it was Cooper test on selection, so that's intelligible.

Guys who train by Stoeng's program need to add short and mid distance running and of course, beep test it self. There is lot phone apps and it's not problem to run with phone and headphones.
You are leaving when!??

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't know Mark. Do you think I'm good to go? ;) Probably I won't be on this forum more than one month. You will miss me Mr. Mark.

Hhhmm. Don't know about that! The only thing I miss is shooting the shit with the lads in the foyer and fish n chips! Clean those doubts out of your head lad! You have it in body but I'm wondering about the spirit! a lot of it is mental focus. the rest as we say is gravio!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

You must have the 'want factor'. It is pathetic to ask others if they believe the time is right for you to attempt to enlist.

It is simple. It is Mind over Matter. Now demonstrate some mental fortitude and GO.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well Dusaboss if Chas says GO...then GO. I do believe he also wrote that he believes in you. So do I and so do others.
One thing that bothers me after having skipped back over a few of the posts, Your time to adjust after getting woken up. Now before anyone jumps down my neck and tells me that this is not a Royal Marines or an All Arms Commando Course forum, I know that. But what saved me on that course was once I was woken up, no matter how tired, I could switch on and shrug off the mental fatique.

I was watching a documentary about Dame Ellen MacArthur who broke the solo non-stop around the world record (set by a Frenchman) -She also speaks French, but that has nothing to do with it. Anyway, she explained how she trained up for lack of sleep, or rather lack of regular sleep. She would set her alarm to go off after 15-20 minutes and then re-set it. She did this for ten days with only breaks for cooking, shower and so on.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joseph,

I do believe in him. I am trying to be his catalyst and mental spur. The longer he puts it off the harder it will be.