a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting ready

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Turning in my papers for a passport tomorrow. I'm more than fit for the basics. Former Marine here, looking to start up with France.

My name and family are from France, born and raised 'Murica (hopefully they agree with my name as to my reasons for joining). Fight with the best and return to roots. I've dreamt of this since I was 13 but at 18 it was easier to sign USMC. Prior 0311.

I can still do 28 pull-ups, proper full extension down and chin above bar. Run 3-5 miles every other day and 10 miles once a week. I plan to leave in late July or August, whichever the papers land upon.

My question, how do Americans or anyone else do it with the listed 50 euros only? I've read on the credit card information. Ring stolen plenty. Random charges etc.

I don't want to be stranded in another country if worst comes to worst ( or being accepted). I have plenty of scars, no broken bones or metal but plenty of marks from dirt bikes, BMX, skating, surfing, etc. Anywhere from my legs to my head. The USMC took me no problem but I don't know how the Legion will look upon this.

Sorry for bad posting arrangement.
Thanks for your time and replies.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Only the Legion doctors can really give you an answer whether your scars will be a problem or not.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
(...) My question, how do Americans or anyone else do it with the listed 50 euros only? (...)
What is this 50 Euros you are talking about? You can bring any amount of money you want to selection, you can only keep 50 while in selection to use in the foyer (better smaller bills and coins). You will be paid after you become blue but won't see that money until you are either eliminated from selection or finish basic training. You will make roughly 1,200 euros with extra money for various missions or training and so on.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What is this 50 Euros you are talking about? You can bring any amount of money you want to selection, you can only keep 50 while in selection to use in the foyer (better smaller bills and coins). You will be paid after you become blue but won't see that money until you are either eliminated from selection or finish basic training. You will make roughly 1,200 euros with extra money for various missions or training and so on.
Thank you for shedding some light. I see where my misunderstanding was. Money I do not care about. If I'm fed, housed, and given a sense of purpose I am happy. Would you recommend leaving a Debit card then? Or is it recommended in bringing one?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You can take your debit card with just in case. Perhaps there might be complimentary exams required due to the scars, who knows? Make sure that you put down BMX activity where possible i.e. hobbies, sports etc. What I mean is, if asked about scars don't just blurt out that you do these things as a past-time.
One thing worth remembering is when you go in front of the board, the doctor may mention the scars, then one of the 'Gestapo' might chirp in that you are a BMX, skateboarder guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Joseph Cosgrove. Thank you for sharing knowledge.

My questions are lifted now.

Due to my last name, until I hit E3 I was teased by many. Being called surfer boy or something similar wouldn't rub me in the slightest.

I will keep checking in until it is time. Dream big. Go bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I saw that 666 got in being covered head to toe in tattoos. I guess I have nothing to worry about given he made it with far more ink than me.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I saw that 666 got in being covered head to toe in tattoos. I guess I have nothing to worry about given he made it with far more ink than me.

808, Our man 666 had more than just tattoos, there was character and lots of determination and proof of a complet about face in life style. I'm not saying that you don't have all these qualities but it's not us that you have to convince. We are all with you and are gunning for you. Don't let us down and don't let yourself down.
I'd say take all the advice that you think is useful and put aside the rest and concentrate on you getting in.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Something strikes me as off here, 1st, when you report for Boot Camp in the Marine Corps it is the same as the FFL, you are told not to take large sums of money because you do not need it; however, if you do show up it will be held for you and 2nd, what is a Marine Corps E3? Just curious because Marines do not refer to themselves as such.

Anyway, heed the advice from people like Joseph Cosgrove, they have direct knowledge where as I have ancillary knowledge.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
E3 in the marine corps is lance corporal (useless rank but at least some see you might make corporal soon and ease up).

When I personally left for boot camp, I was living out of my truck with no money and freshly laid off from work.

As for the tattoo comment, it wasn't that "hey I have tattoos I'm favorited", it's more of a "they are not turning people away for non gang related ink so I shouldn't have any worry over mine specifically"

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Something strikes me as off here, 1st, when you report for Boot Camp in the Marine Corps it is the same as the FFL, you are told not to take large sums of money because you do not need it; however, if you do show up it will be held for you and 2nd, what is a Marine Corps E3? Just curious because Marines do not refer to themselves as such.

Anyway, heed the advice from people like Joseph Cosgrove, they have direct knowledge where as I have ancillary knowledge.
See here for a list of comparative ranks and pay grades. Lance corporal.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
808, Our man 666 had more than just tattoos, there was character and lots of determination and proof of a complet about face in life style.

Joe I think he vose asking just would be tattoos gonna be a problem? And are friend 666 its proof that you can be accepted even if you are heavily tattooed. No doubt that he is extraordinary man and the he deserve his kepi. Question is did tattoos gonna be minus in selection?

As I think, few tattoos will not make any difference. If you are painted as 666 is, that could resolute in some additional questions and can be taken as negative factor. How much ? Don't know. Certainly not enough to be rejected just because of it.

Maybe our friends with tattoos who were in selection can tell us more about that subject.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe I think he vose asking just would be tattoos gonna be a problem? And are friend 666 its proof that you can be accepted even if you are heavily tattooed. No doubt that he is extraordinary man and the he deserve his kepi. Question is did tattoos gonna be minus in selection?

As I think, few tattoos will not make any difference. If you are painted as 666 is, that could resolute in some additional questions and can be taken as negative factor. How much ? Don't know. Certainly not enough to be rejected just because of it.

Maybe our friends with tattoos who were in selection can tell us more about that subject.

I hear what you are saying Dusaboss. I'd say the main main problem is having any form of racism tattoos or gang member tattoos. A lot of countries, like Germany, have a tattoo that shows that you have been in prison (done by the ex-con themeslves). It will then be hard to say to the Gestapo that you have never been in trouble with the police. And no-one should make the mistake that the Gestapo has never seen that type of tattoo before and can get away with it.

I believe it was Ossie who once wrote "think before you ink!". If it's too late than either get it covered up or get it transformed into chinesse lettering or whatever. Because if it's downright rude or insulting don't think that you are going to get in with F*ck writtten on your knuckles or Nazi or anything like that.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
DCLXVI (666)

I was doubtful that he would be accepted as were many others. He had done time, obtained a degree, attempted to join twice and been rejected twice. He enjoyed body art and tried again for the 3rd time. He showed courage in dealing with personal adversity as was obvious from his posts.

At the 3rd attempt he was accepted. He is now serving and enjoying life.

I am sticking my neck out by saying I do not believe many have been offered a 3rd attempt let alone been successful. I believe it to be a rarity and take my hat off to him for perseverance. A 'one off' in my opinion.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I hear what you are saying Dusaboss. I'd say the main main problem is having any form of racism tattoos or gang member tattoos. A lot of countries, like Germany, have a tattoo that shows that you have been in prison (done by the ex-con themeslves). It will then be hard to say to the Gestapo that you have never been in trouble with the police. And no-one should make the mistake that the Gestapo has never seen that type of tattoo before and can get away with it.

I believe it was Ossie who once wrote "think before you ink!". If it's too late than either get it covered up or get it transformed into chinesse lettering or whatever. Because if it's downright rude or insulting don't think that you are going to get in with F*ck writtten on your knuckles or Nazi or anything like that.

I don't have any tattoo :). That never been my kind of things. Me (as most people) significantly changing views on live every 5 years so if I write something permanently on my body there is good chance that in 5y I will not agree with that.

Hopefully my first tattoo will be legion related if I get in.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I don't have any tattoo :). That never been my kind of things. Me (as most people) significantly changing views on live every 5 years so if I write something permanently on my body there is good chance that in 5y I will not agree with that.

Hopefully my first tattoo will be legion related if I get in.

I forgot, when are you going? :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

I have no tats. Some officers and other ranks did. I would discourage them. If you go on the 'dark side' they are a give away.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
See here for a list of comparative ranks and pay grades. Lance corporal.

I know the Pay Grade and what it is; however, you miss my point, Marines do not call themselves or Identify with a Pay Grade.
Private
Private First Class
Lance Corporal
Corporal
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant (yours truly)
Gunnery Sergeant
Master Sergeant or First Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant or Sergeants Major

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I forgot, when are you going? :)

Aaa, I changed my mind. It's too comfy here with mom and dad. ;)

Dusaboss,

I have no tats. Some officers and other ranks did. I would discourage them. If you go on the 'dark side' they are a give away.

Maybe something discret , about which no many people know meaning. first i have to get in, I will think about tattoo later.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I know the Pay Grade and what it is; however, you miss my point, Marines do not call themselves or Identify with a Pay Grade.

I have been called at, "Hey Lance Corporal" and even the rarer "Hey E3, Lance Corporal". But most times was more like, "Come here Devil Dog" or even "Hey Marine", (these last two are an indicator that you are messed up, and about to be corrected). Not good situations to get caught in.

I could tell you I was a Super Master Gunnery Private Ranger Seal and it would make no difference. The internet is just that.

I am using my phone to type here and unfortunately it was much easier to type E3 than Lance Corporal.

I could also tell you I was the most motivated Marine in all of 1-5, when the reality is I had shit bag moments just like the worst of them.

I am 25 now, going on 26 in a few short months, I got out in the start of 2014, I am straight edge, meaning I no longer drink, smoke, or do drugs, I haven't for a little over 2 years now, and now I wish to take the next step in my life.

I wish to rid my current life for a new one. If I continue living how I currently am, I will always be who I have always been.

My family originally comes from France, and my father was first born in America. All I've heard of from my grandparents was how France was through their eyes. I want to experience this and become fresh with my experiences.