a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smaller Recruitment Offices (Lille)

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The fact that you can speak numerous languages already is very nice though. Make sure you let them know that.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Cujo don't rush into this if your ill. Even if you get through selection you are going to want to be very physically prepared for castel. I'm not sure if people realize this but physical strength goes hand and hand with mental strength.
They are different but both compliment each other. If your physically a beast, you can overcome many more mental barriers than if you were weaker! You wouldn't be telling yourself,"I can't do this, I can't do this" because it gets physically rough
That said, don't not train because you don't think to you really need it. I said the same thing to myself because ive been working landscaping for years now an it gets real f**kin hot and real tiring with all the digging, ripping out, filling up wheel barrows with rocks 12 hours a day. Even playing soccer (futbol) with the Guatemalans and Mexicans AFTER work.
I still ran my first mile and realized hold shit I really need to train my legs and endurance better. I've caught up insanely fast but I would have been shot out of luck if I just went to selection with mine(and yours) attitude.
Train for a month or two please, for yourself.

Also can you see well out of your lazy eye?

thank you very much for the feedback and I will wait as I stated in my posts but when I am healthy enough I will try, I don't wanna boast but I am really a beast in training :) and i know very well training will be hard in the FFL and i will not underestimate it, i can see trough it but not perfect vision on my left eye

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Cujo, I clicked on the site for Groupe de recrutement de la Légion étrangère at Lille. I then sent them an e-mail (put in my matricule and the regiments I had served in) and asked if you can join up directly at Lille. As Voltigeur had already said you can, I wanted them to confirm it. I'm as sure as Volt that you can. And if not eliminated at the starting block you will be then sent to F de N. as Rapace said. Again I asked for this to be confirmed.
This is what the offical site says in English:
The French Foreign Legion information office (smaller recruiting center) in Lille is one of those 10 recruiting centers of the Foreign Legion called PILE (Poste d’Information de la Légion Étrangère), where you can be enlisted in..
It's Saturday and unless someone in F de N (where the GRLE is based) is on duty, I'll probably not get an answer before at least Monday or Tuesday.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
If you don't listen to me about the training you NEED, your going to waste your money and your dream will be shot down like a Russian jetliner. Please train hard

I do listen and really thanks for your concern but I do think my background in sports will help me allot and i have real core strength.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joseph,

I must compliment you for seeking out information about recruitment in Lille. It is a magnificent example of the way that 'aspirants' are helped by the Greens and of course Rapace. I remain impressed.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Joseph,

I must compliment you for seeking out information about recruitment in Lille. It is a magnificent example of the way that 'aspirants' are helped by the Greens and of course Rapace. I remain impressed.
Yes I am really also very grateful for all the help you guys give me. And for sure Joseph who helped me allot already with everything.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thank you for the comment but could you tell me why?
For several reasons:
a) I don't think you really want to commit yourself to Legion life during 5 full years;
b) you will not be selected because of your age, your ‘wounds’, your ‘lazy eye’, etc.;
c) it would take unnecessarily useful time for the really active duty legionnaires who will have to assess you and show you the way out!

In other words : I don't feel you have what it takes to be a really good legionnaire and I would not like to be in a real fight with you at my side !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joseph,

Chas, we have to keep that flame flying. It's from a grenade which has seven flames and it's Legion. Not ready to be extinguished! Which is why we need these young warriors to keep it alight.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
For several reasons:
a) I don't think you really want to commit yourself to Legion life during 5 full years;
b) you will not be selected because of your age, your ‘wounds’, your ‘lazy eye’, etc.;
c) it would take unnecessarily useful time for the really active duty legionnaires who will have to assess you and show you the way out!

In other words : I don't feel you have what it takes to be a really good legionnaire and I would not like to be in a real fight with you at my side !

Thank you really but I will have to say you're very wrong about me. Let me tell you why.
a) my word is everything to me, I asked myself before are you ready to serve 5 years to myself and I am truly I actually hope to serve at least 10 years in the Legion, so yes I will commit myself to the contract, I have never broken my word and will never do. I do not care about money or material things in life I just want to serve and in the Legion given I get the chance.
b) age I'm 32y but not a lot of people believe this when seeing me I look more like 25 :) I also have medical papers to proof my ankle is fine, do you want to see the x rays? and doctors note saying I'm In good health? I have the documents to prove.
c) being a warrior is in my blood, sounds crazy but that's the truth, I'm very happy with my life and proud of myself.

I'm willing to prove that I can handle the training in the Legion if I'm in good health of course being with strong people makes me stronger myself. I know if I get a chance to train in the Legion and be accepted I will be getting stronger,maybe now I'm not worthy going to the Legion and the Legion does not need me right now while I'm sick, but when I'm healed I know I will be a good obeying soldier and perfect candidate for the Legion.

I know I'm a the strange duck and underdog for some people but I know myself very well, Kungfu made me realize my true potential as a person and my believe made me only stronger. and I really hate fighting allot but I only have two skills and that's training like a beast and computers with my degree :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Easy Cujo, you don't have to prove to me, to Loustic, to Chas who has more than proved his worth in the military elite. You have to prove it to the selection board. Now attention here, you are not going on a Royal Marines commando course or a NZ SAS course, those that will be testing (regardless of past exploits) will be shinny bottom boys who now do a 9 to 5 (with a casse croute inbetween) jobs and their job is to ask questions.

Your job is to answer them. Then there is the Doc, you have the x rays and the doctor's certificat. Sounds good. The rest is up to you, keep a low profile and when given any jobs, just remind yourself you will be getting 3 square meals a day.

Finleythefox

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cujo, if you believe In yourself than take a leap and go. You sound convinced. Regardless of what some have said.
However again it's not about just catching up physically dude. It's about standing out above the rest in selection. If you think your "catching up" while in selection will help I think you may be wrong. So many fit 20 to 30 yr olds to choose from that have trained for a long time. You want to be able to run and perform past them to stand out.
Again I only say this because I care and would like to see you make it.

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Easy Cujo, you don't have to prove to me, to Loustic, to Chas who has more than proved his worth in the military elite. You have to prove it to the selection board. Now attention here, you are not going on a Royal Marines commando course or a NZ SAS course, those that will be testing (regardless of past exploits) will be shinny bottom boys who now do a 9 to 5 (with a casse croute inbetween) jobs and their job is to ask questions.

Your job is to answer them. Then there is the Doc, you have the x rays and the doctor's certificat. Sounds good. The rest is up to you, keep a low profile and when given any jobs, just remind yourself you will be getting 3 square meals a day.
My apologies I just cant stop thinking about the Legion and how badly I want it, I will for sure keep a low profile, I'm just used to people telling me I can't do this or that while I know Loustic just want the best for me and have the upmost respect for everyone, but I want to have the chance to prove to everyone that I will be a good soldier if I pass the tests.

Cujo, if you believe In yourself than take a leap and go. You sound convinced. Regardless of what some have said.
However again it's not about just catching up physically dude. It's about standing out above the rest in selection. If you think your "catching up" while in selection will help I think you may be wrong. So many fit 20 to 30 yr olds to choose from that have trained for a long time. You want to be able to run and perform past them to stand out.
Again I only say this because I care and would like to see you make it.
Thank you very much, and I know I can do above the required test , they are just pull-ups and Luc-Léger test, if I'm correct and I did pull-ups and running while I'm sick and can easy do 20min running while increasing my speed little by little and do easy 20 pull ups after and that's when I'm alone and while I was very sick, now imagine me doing this while I'm in good health :) . I have a little advantage because I'm a pull up freak and because I'm not tall and around 15% body fat I think lower even (almost my whole life) and can run very fast and for a good amount of time that I will stand out for sure being I'm not so tall.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thank you but I will have to say you're very wrong about me. Let me tell you why. (...)
Cujo, if I may, there's no point in arguing over that on the internet. If you want to show Loustic that he's wrong, just show up at the gates, do what it takes to be selected and get a képi blanc on your head. The rest is simply literature... :)

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Cujo, if I may, there's no point in arguing over that on the internet. If you want to show Loustic that he's wrong, just show up at the gates, do what it takes to be selected and get a képi blanc on your head. The rest is simply literature... :)
Thank you very much,and I know my words are just words now but ill try my very best trying to earn the képi blanc.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
One more thing : I've seen your pull-ups on the video you've posted (and then, apparently, deleted... :)). Be very careful: in pre-selection they will ask you to do only 3 pull-ups which is not much (maybe they've now raised the bar a bit, I'm not sure), but... they'll ask you to have your arms fully extended between two pull-ups (called tractions in French) and put your chin above the bar each time. On the numerous TV documentaries on the Legion available on YouTube, one can see at Aubagne an Italian candidate being rejected right away for not complying with those rules.
So remember:
1°) arms fully extended between two pull-ups (when you are in the lower position);
2°) chin above the bar (when you are in the upper position).

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Thank you Rapace, yes I deleted the video, otherwise everyone would for sure know when in selection that I'm Cujo from Cervens and want to keep a low profile but just stand out in the physical tests :). Thank you, I'll make sure to get my chin up over the bar and extend my arms.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
One more thing : I've seen your pull-ups on the video you've posted (and then, apparently, deleted... :)). Be very careful: in pre-selection they will ask you to do only 3 pull-ups which is not much (maybe they've now raised the bar a bit, I'm not sure), but... they'll ask you to have your arms fully extended between two pull-ups (called tractions in French) and put your chin above the bar each time. On the numerous TV documentaries on the Legion available on YouTube, one can see at Aubagne an Italian candidate being rejected right away for not complying with those rules.
So remember:
1°) arms fully extended between two pull-ups (when you are in the lower position);
2°) chin above the bar (when you are in the upper position).
True. I do all my pull-ups that way. I'm also holding down position for one second. Even harder is if you do them as sombrerox said that is required when he go. Fixing your eyes on guy who testing you (I'm not doing this, but when try I lose 15 %).

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
True. I do all my pull-ups that way. I'm also holding down position for one second. Even harder is if you do them as sombrerox said that is required when he go. Fixing your eyes on guy who testing you (I'm not doing this, but when try I lose 15 %).
This is what I like to do for training and really helps Calisthenics Workout if it gave me a very good core strength doing a single normal pull up/chin up is easy but try doing a barbarian pull up/muscle up that's for me one of the most toughest pull and ofcourse the single hand pull up, if anybody can do this I would be really impressed , Frank Medrano is a beast check out his insane video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJHw64fxgQ

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Thank you really but I will have to say you're very wrong about me. Let me tell you why.
a) my word is everything to me, I asked myself before are you ready to serve 5 years to myself and I am truly I actually hope to serve at least 10 years in the Legion, so yes I will commit myself to the contract, I have never broken my word and will never do. I do not care about money or material things in life I just want to serve and in the Legion given I get the chance.
b) age I'm 32y but not a lot of people believe this when seeing me I look more like 25 :) I also have medical papers to proof my ankle is fine, do you want to see the x rays? and doctors note saying I'm In good health? I have the documents to prove.
c) being a warrior is in my blood, sounds crazy but that's the truth, I'm very happy with my life and proud of myself.

I'm willing to prove that I can handle the training in the Legion if I'm in good health of course being with strong people makes me stronger myself. I know if I get a chance to train in the Legion and be accepted I will be getting stronger,maybe now I'm not worthy going to the Legion and the Legion does not need me right now while I'm sick, but when I'm healed I know I will be a good obeying soldier and perfect candidate for the Legion.

I know I'm a the strange duck and underdog for some people but I know myself very well, Kungfu made me realize my true potential as a person and my believe made me only stronger. and I really hate fighting allot but I only have two skills and that's training like a beast and computers with my degree :)

I think if you make sure you are trained up and in good health then you have a good shot based on your story and situation AS LONG AS the doctors approve your tendon and your lazy eye....that will be the biggest hurdle.
You certainly have reason to stay and make a new life and give a full commitment. Give it your best shot. Good luck.