a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How in shape should somebody be?

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If anybody can offer their advice I would appreciate it.

I finally have all my affairs in order and am freed up with everything in my life. I've spent the last several months working long hours with no days off and have paid off all my financial obligations. I would really like to make a legitimate attempt this October.

However, while I am certainly not a vegetable, I'm not exactly a "beast" (as some guys like to put it) of fitness either.

My question is: How in shape should somebody be to realistically have a shot at making it in?

The way I see it is from this point I can really turn it on and over the next 10 weeks just completely transform myself physically. I'm talking 4-6 hours a day five days a week with two days off for recovery. Focusing on body strength, running, and overall endurance. Is this a realistic approach for getting in shape to have a chance at passing selection? I'm not at all thinking that everything will be a cake walk after that, I know it would just be the beginning if I were to make it in. On one end, I think I may be overestimating the level of fitness I can attain during that short of a time span even after completing all my workouts. I've read people's posts about training for a year and so on. On the other hand, I've read of several instances of guys being absolutely at a physical optimum and not getting selected, while guys who could only meet minimum standards got in. And with that thinking might determine that I have as good a shot as anybody as long as I am in fairly decent shape, which I could do by October.

Another secondary issue would be my level of French, which, other than a few tidbits of studying here and there, is pretty much zero. Again though, I could dedicate several hours a day on duolingo or something and get a rudimentary understanding over the next ten weeks.

I want to be able to take advantage of the spike in recruiting right now.

Or should I step back a bit, and now that everything is in order for me, take a few months longer and focus on preparing myself as optimally as I can, and leave at the beginning of 2017?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Lots of good questions, I can only give my personal opinion as answers. If it was me I'd go for the ten week crash course, although 4-6 hours a day looks mighty optomistic. You know what is expected of you in the entrance test, Luc Leger and pull ups, so work on stamina. As for learning French, although it will come in handy, don't let it it get you down.

One good way is to down load some catchy french songs, get them tanslated and and go on long runs listening to them. Nowadays it's easy to get the words to a song and then go to google translate. Type "most popular French songs" and off you go.
Learning the numbers and how to tell the time will come in handy. Being able to speak a bit of French may work in your favor as it will show the recruiting staff that you are keen, but it is not obligatory.

So if you think that you will be ready in 10 weeks, go for it. Use one of your off days to get in some swimming.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
You certainly don't want to jump in with 4-6 hours a day right off the bat if you are out of shape. You need to build up to that.

Focus on the things you will need, running, pullups, pushups and core work.

French focus on numbers, time, colors, days of the weeks, months, and other basics.

You would be fine delaying your journey until you are ready...the Legion isn't going anywhere and will be taking in more guys at least through the beginning of next year and probably even longer to bring the 13DBLE up to full numbers.

An hour of cardio a day and a hour or hour to two hours of intense calisthenics and gym would be fine every other day. You need rest and recovery. You can do cardio daily but not running daily. Running should only be 3 days a week to start. You can break it up with biking or swimming hiking/fast walking.

It all depends on your numbers now.

If the legion says 3 is the minimum pull ups try for at least 8 since you will be tired after the run (you do it after the luc leger)...be able to run both distance and sprints. Do a sprint workout once a week or finish each run with a sprint or do fartlek style running.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Don't try to do NOW too intensive sports : you might be too exhausted or have another temporary physical problem. Your body has to adjust slowly, but efficiently, to your new state of mind !

Good luck for whenever you decide to go and try !

Buner101

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
There is a training plan on this forum ,made by Charles Stoeng and it contains answer to your question.Cheers.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I was just trying to fish for any resounding yes or no answer. I guess I'll just hit it hard starting now, see how much progress I make in the next few weeks, then at that point gauge where I'm at to determine if I need a few more months of training or if I feel I'll be ready to go.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As it stands now I am not nearly making the leaps in fitness I had assumed I would in such a short time to be ready by this October. I am going to give it the rest of the year to train and learn French. I am also getting everything in place so that I can leave in early 2017.

Sua Sponte

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Also dont overwork yourself. If you do it right you can get everything you need from the gym in an hour and even more than if you hit it hard enough. Also if you run in the morning make sure you get a good breakfast and lunch (possibly even a nap) in between that and your gym or calisthenics time. Also personally I do not run everyday and still run 33 minute 5 miles no problem. When you first start running only do it every other day with a two day break in there somewhere otherwise you can get overuse injuries which will set you back farther than not running. Trust me, shin splints,stress fractures, pulled hamstrings and overworked hip flexors are no fun. Make sure you stretch alot, eat health and frequently and attempt to get 8+ hours of sleep a night. Theres no big secret to getting in badass shape its just doing what you dont want to and doing it frequently. Not saying you cant go out once a week with the lads and have some brews but dont make it a habit because trust me it holds you back. Also yes fartlek runs are great for cardio. So are high tempo medium distance running and sprints to finish a long slow run. Also again dont have too high of a weekly mileage until you work up to it. Do alot of cross training days you dont run to avoid this and still get great cardio gains, swimming is the best example of this. Swim at a steady pace for a mile once a week and you will thank yourself for it,keeps your body limber and increases cardio immensely. Dont neglect strength training in favor of endurance workouts. Squats,front squats, deadlifts should be your best friend. Get someone to help you with form because again injuries will set you back further than not doing it. These will help strengthen your bones and prevent injury in the long term,especially if you intend to be a paratrooper. Sorry for rambling i just really get passionate about fitness. Good luck, train hard, have fun and take care.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Also dont overwork yourself. If you do it right you can get everything you need from the gym in an hour and even more than if you hit it hard enough. Also if you run in the morning make sure you get a good breakfast and lunch (possibly even a nap) in between that and your gym or calisthenics time. Also personally I do not run everyday and still run 33 minute 5 miles no problem. When you first start running only do it every other day with a two day break in there somewhere otherwise you can get overuse injuries which will set you back farther than not running. Trust me, shin splints,stress fractures, pulled hamstrings and overworked hip flexors are no fun. Make sure you stretch alot, eat health and frequently and attempt to get 8+ hours of sleep a night. Theres no big secret to getting in badass shape its just doing what you dont want to and doing it frequently. Not saying you cant go out once a week with the lads and have some brews but dont make it a habit because trust me it holds you back. Also yes fartlek runs are great for cardio. So are high tempo medium distance running and sprints to finish a long slow run. Also again dont have too high of a weekly mileage until you work up to it. Do alot of cross training days you dont run to avoid this and still get great cardio gains, swimming is the best example of this. Swim at a steady pace for a mile once a week and you will thank yourself for it,keeps your body limber and increases cardio immensely. Dont neglect strength training in favor of endurance workouts. Squats,front squats, deadlifts should be your best friend. Get someone to help you with form because again injuries will set you back further than not doing it. These will help strengthen your bones and prevent injury in the long term,especially if you intend to be a paratrooper. Sorry for rambling i just really get passionate about fitness. Good luck, train hard, have fun and take care.

Perfect advice, shitty formatting/paragraphs. :D

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Focus on the pull-ups (you need 4 minimum before you can start the selection process) and then on the luc léger (find the beep track on Google)
Read all this : http://en.legion-recrute.com/
and also this : http://en.legion-recrute.com/mdl/in...block=21&titre=sporting-tests-upon-enlistment
but don't neglect this : http://en.legion-recrute.com/mdl/info_seul.php?id=10&idA=63&block=21&idA_SM=0 and the Motivation

Most of it is your personal motivation, so be ready and have a very strong mental !

Don't forget the three basic pillars : RESPECT (for the institution, for your chiefs, for your comrades and for yourself), MODESTY and HUMILITY. You will be observed and noted during selection on these bases. Honesty and Motivation are more important than sport : they think, rightly, that if you are not completely unfit, they can teach you to become a more sportive legionnaire, but they cannot change your mentality

Also essential : show them that for you the Legion is a must, that you have nothing else left for you. They like people like that because they know these people will not become deserters

Good luck mate and keep in touch !