a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Legion Film

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Gents and Ladies:

There were a number of classic Legion films and a few not so great films made over the years

Beau Geste 1926
Legion Of Missing Men 1937
Beau Geste 1939
The Three Musketeers 1933/1946
Outpost In Moroco 1947
Ten Tall Men 1951
March Or Die 1977

Does anybody have any favourite?

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
March or Die. Not Gene Hackmans best film but not bad.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I must admit that I've never actually seen one, since I've heard that a lot of them are bad, especially Van Damme's movie.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I must admit that I've never actually seen one, since I've heard that a lot of them are bad, especially Van Damme's movie.

While many of these early films can be compared to early Westerns, they're in a class of their own and are well worth watching. While they might not have won any Oskars, these films drew a crowd at theaters where people were looking for simple adventure and a little romance.

I wouldn't put anything that JCVD produced on the list.

Many of these films are available on Youtube.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Outpost In Morocco was made with the assistance of the French Foreign Legion and Moroccan Spahis Cavalry. Definitely some great horsemanship and mounted footage.

I would say my top 3 would be
March Or Die
Beau Geste and
10 tall men.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I like "La Légion saute sur Kolwezi" based on a novel by Pierre Sergent

The film, available on youtube, describes rather well the events in Kolwezi in 78 and will let you guess about the events in Timbuktu in 2013 !

I must admit that I am biased !

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I like "La Légion saute sur Kolwezi" based on a novel by Pierre Sergent

The film, available on youtube, describes rather well the events in Kolwezi in 78 and will let you guess about the events in Timbuktu in 2013 !

I must admit that I am biased !

I've added it to the must watch list, thank you.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
"March or die" because of the cast , also probably the first time I heard of the Legion while watching it as a kid. Savior by O.Stone ? It doesn't have anything to do with Legion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Savior and also deserter with tom hardy. I like those two.

Deserter is a Hollywood version of Murray's book. The reality, as described by Murray in his book, was rather different. But why not ?

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Deserter is a Hollywood version of Murray's book. The reality, as described by Murray in his book, was rather different. But why not ?

I saw the film Deserter yesterday and although I was hesitant to watch anything with the title 'Deserter', I enjoyed most of the film. I'll have to pick up the book as the film left some unanswered questions and was certainly Hollywoodized, not to mention the jump wings issued prior to the Kepi Blanc.

As I haven't yet read the book, any reason why the film was titled 'Deserter' other than the catch phase 'you can't desert yourself'?

In 'Savior' I believe the lead character served in the FFL prior to going over to fight in the war in Yugoslavia. I wouldn't call it a Legion film as Stone was likely just trying to build the character.

p.s. I did a quick search and Loustic's posts on the book answered many of my questions from the film, merci.

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
My point was - two sentences about the Legion in the movie don't make it a Legion movie. There was no wars in Yugoslavia, war was in countries that didn't want to be a part of it anymore. Common mistake, like the one that those were civil war or wars. But.... thread is not about it so I'll rant off.
Deserter should have been a better movie, great potential unused. However, TV series have never been better (in general), would like to see something like that produced.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
My point was - two sentences about the Legion in the movie don't make it a Legion movie. There was no wars in Yugoslavia, war was in countries that didn't want to be a part of it anymore. Common mistake, like the one that those were civil war or wars. But.... thread is not about it so I'll rant off.
Deserter should have been a better movie, great potential unused. However, TV series have never been better (in general), would like to see something like that produced.

I completely agree, the mention of serving in the Legion doesn't make it a Legion movie.

I was keeping it simple, but I stand corrected I should have said the Bosnian War in the former Republic of Yugoslavia. As many of us on the forum have had lost friends there, we understand your rant.

Hvala

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The mummy (1999)

It's an entertaining film for sure but I rate it up there with Saviour with limited time being given to the Legion.

I'm also checking out 'Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)' with the Three Stooges. In an attempt to avoid overdue rent, the three enlist in the Legion.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
'Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)' 17 minutes of classic slap stick humour and available on youtube, one of their best films with the original cast of Curly, Larry and Moe.

Sarahlouise

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I've not seen any of them either. I think I'll try and watch March or Die after reading the thread though.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I've not seen any of them either. I think I'll try and watch March or Die after reading the thread though.

It's a great film which takes place right after the armistice at the end of WW1, you won't be disappointed.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Beau Geste with Gary Cooper and Ray Milland is another great film. This is the 1939 version as opposed to the 1926 or 1966.

For something a bit lighter and only 37 minutes long, I suggest Beau Hunks featuring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. In an effort to get a lost love, the gentlemen enlist in the Legion and are stationed in Fort Arid. Truly timeless comedy.

[video=youtube;Vkf9hs4Vhqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf9hs4Vhqk[/video]